Promaxx maxx series SBF heads. Who's running them and what springs did you upgrade to?

I'm very likely going to be running the comp XE282HR cam which has some aggressive lobes. I'll definitely be upgrading the springs. What spring fits these heads with around 160 seat psi and 440 open psi. I'd like to be able to use the same retainers, seals etc.. Also what lifters are you running if you're using a similar spec cam?

Thanks in advance. This is going in my 331 build.

1609446289204.png

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I have the xe282hr cam in my 331 and love it. Low vacuum at idle though. Mine idles around 750rpm...with 8in.hg. added a vacuum pump and pressure switch from a Chevy cruze to keep the brakes up to par. They worked just would have harder pedal second push. At about1000rpm vacuum goes down to about 12 and is OK for braking.

Engine builder put my Twisted Wedge heads on. No idea what springs.

Reactions: 1 user
I have the xe282hr cam in my 331 and love it. Low vacuum at idle though. Mine idles around 750rpm...with 8in.hg. added a vacuum pump and pressure switch from a Chevy cruze to keep the brakes up to par. They worked just would have harder pedal second push. At about1000rpm vacuum goes down to about 12 and is OK for braking.

Engine builder put my Twisted Wedge heads on. No idea what springs.
Good info and I have been a little concerned about that. I have heard about 10 inches of vacuum on similar builds and it's a split opinion on brakes. Many say they have no issues even with 7 inches vacuum with this cam, others say they needed hydraboost etc.. I'm not 100% settled on the cam mainly because I'll only be running a ported cobra intake on this motor and the cam would prefer something bigger. However this cam has great reviews and makes great power so I may just upgrade the valvetrain to suit it and change the intake later.