Question on the '99+ brake swap--is my spare gonna fit?

• Sponsors (?)

99+ have the same brakes as us. Unless it was a Cobra. If you are getting Cobra brakes then I would look on eBay they seem to have some spare tires for Saleens and Cobras pretty often.

99+ v6 and GT's have diff. front brakes compared to 94-98's.

94-98's have a single pistons cast iron caliper

99+ v6's and GT's have a twin piston PBR alum. caliper. They are NOT cobra PBR calipers but a diff. style/design.

The 99+ v6 and GT both had 16in rims with the same rotor dia. With stock rims your stock spare will work fine. If you have moved up to 17's (didnt have a 17in rim factory) you may want to look into getting a 17in spare (cobra spare) as there MAY (dont know if the tire was the diff. to make up for the hight diff. from 16 to 17in rim) be an issue with running a smaller tire on one axle if ran with a 17in rim.

Right UR BlackSnake95,

I have the 99+ PBR 2-piston upgrade on my '95GT. The calipers don't look any bulkier---just wider side-to-side because of the need to contain 2 pistons.
The car originally did come w/the 5-lug Pony 16"ers, & I upgraded to Cobra Rs years ago.
And I'm NOT sad to say I've never had the spare out of the well, but a thread of a few days ago has got me thinking & in the absence of a certain response, I guess I'll have to try the spare on to be safe---after the snow & ice abate.

99+ v6 and GT's have diff. front brakes compared to 94-98's.

94-98's have a single pistons cast iron caliper

99+ v6's and GT's have a twin piston PBR alum. caliper. They are NOT cobra PBR calipers but a diff. style/design.

The 99+ v6 and GT both had 16in rims with the same rotor dia. With stock rims your stock spare will work fine. If you have moved up to 17's (didnt have a 17in rim factory) you may want to look into getting a 17in spare (cobra spare) as there MAY (dont know if the tire was the diff. to make up for the hight diff. from 16 to 17in rim) be an issue with running a smaller tire on one axle if ran with a 17in rim.

Hmm .I never knew that.

Good to know.

I got everything off my buddies car when he got a Bear kit. I gave him 100$ (I agreed and offered this when he mentioned he got the bear kit). 100$ is a fair price and with a good set of pads you looking at like around 200$ or so ballpark.

To get them to fit you need to do some grinding on the spindle ears. I just kept test fitting the caliper until there was room for free movement. Some of the pics I have seen in searches here show a largeer amount cut off. My amount of removed meat was the min. needed.

I also cleaned up the calipers with a wire wheel bench and painted the main body red brake paint and left the bottom cross bar black.

Its a better break setup than our stock brakes...but not as good as the cobra setup due to the smaller dia. rotor used with the 99+ v6/gt. With a good set of pads I feel for the money (1/2 the price of the cobra front kit) its a worthwhile mod.