• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Quick spark plug question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dardy
  • Start date Start date Apr 26, 2004

Dardy

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
89
0
0
Delaware
Apr 26, 2004
#1
  • Apr 26, 2004
  • #1
I bought the autolite platinum 764 plugs and i noticed that ford used two different types of plugs on that year will this matter with the new plugs?
 

jeff1414

New Member
Jun 19, 2003
447
0
0
Sacramento
Apr 26, 2004
#2
  • Apr 26, 2004
  • #2
I don't think it does! Make sure you double check the gap and all that!
 

Dardy

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
89
0
0
Delaware
Apr 26, 2004
#3
  • Apr 26, 2004
  • #3
cool i hope not i set the plugs to .54 thanks
 

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 2, 2003
8,474
1,463
223
Sea of Tranquility
Apr 26, 2004
#4
  • Apr 26, 2004
  • #4
Ohhh...don't gap Platnum plugs...they are already pre gapped and you could damage the electrodes if you do gap them.
 

Dardy

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
89
0
0
Delaware
Apr 26, 2004
#5
  • Apr 26, 2004
  • #5
oops too late lol
 

Dardy

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
89
0
0
Delaware
Apr 26, 2004
#6
  • Apr 26, 2004
  • #6
If thats true why doesnt auto lite put that on the box instead of gap before installing?
 

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 2, 2003
8,474
1,463
223
Sea of Tranquility
Apr 26, 2004
#7
  • Apr 26, 2004
  • #7
Dardy said:
If thats true why doesnt auto lite put that on the box instead of gap before installing?
Click to expand...
I wondered that myself. My mechanic told be about the gapping thing and I've heard a few other mentions about it too. Just thought I'd pass it along. To be honest I did gap mine and never had any problems.
 

Dardy

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
89
0
0
Delaware
Apr 26, 2004
#8
  • Apr 26, 2004
  • #8
i think and hope thats just a rumor because on all my cars i have ran autolite platinum and i have never had any problems thanks for the info though
 
S

stngmn96

New Member
Aug 2, 2002
32
0
0
Roy, UT
Apr 26, 2004
#9
  • Apr 26, 2004
  • #9
spark plugs

I used the Autolite plugs and hated them immensly, then swithed to NGK Iridium, those sucked as well. My motor likes the double platinum Ford plugs since I run naturally aspirated. They have been the best thus far.
 

KaPPaBaLL

New Member
Nov 28, 2003
1,326
0
0
BAYAREA
Apr 26, 2004
#10
  • Apr 26, 2004
  • #10
that's odd. my car performs better with the autolite 764's... Maybe it was just because they were new..?
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

P
Resolved Spark plug location
  • Ptanner
  • May 17, 2026
  • 2024+ (S650) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
1
Views
215
2024+ (S650) Mustang -General/Talk May 18, 2026
Ptanner
P
3
393W Stroker with Boost - Need Spark Plug Recommendations
  • 387lx
  • Apr 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
322
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 30, 2026
HotFox
96 GT 4.6 w/ dirty spark plug well
  • Mustang Momma
  • Apr 7, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
175
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Apr 9, 2026
LILCBRA
Who the hell puts the wrong spark plugs in a 3.8L?
  • snowstang
  • Mar 25, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
12
Views
542
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Apr 3, 2026
LILCBRA
J
'04 3.8L V6 mineral deposits and oil on #3 cylinder. Does it need a rebuild or something simpler?
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 18, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
15
Views
561
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Sep 29, 2026
gkomo
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?