Suspension Rack And Pinion Leak On Driveway But Not Losing Any In Reservoir

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
Hey fellas long time no post, anyway a little while back like months I guess I had my car in the shop for another reason but while in there the mech told me that my rack and pinion is leaking and that I need a new one. Well I haven't gotten around to it and it's been like months but here's the deal, I'm seeing spots on the drive way but its been forever and I'm not losing any in the reservoir and the pump isn't whining or anything like that. What do you guys make of that?

• Sponsors (?)

How big are the spots? And what type of fluid do you run in it? I use trans fluid in all 3 of my vehicles and my truck has a slight leak. Trans fluid spreads out BIG time. Like 1 drop can turn out looking like a 3 inch or even bigger spot on the ground. So you may have a minor leak and the fluid is just spreading out far. Like what mine does. I don't have to add any fluid to my reservoir for months

You didn't specify what kind of leak. Trans fluid or oil? I'm assuming you're saying it's trans fluid since you said it's an AOD. From the front it would be a pump seal. But typically when they go bad, they spew a lot of fluid out. And I mean A LOT, like you'd have to be adding fluid every day to stay on top of it.