• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

random stalling

  • Thread starter Thread starter mnstanggt
  • Start date Start date Dec 8, 2009
M

mnstanggt

New Member
Dec 7, 2009
31
0
0
mn
Dec 8, 2009
#1
  • Dec 8, 2009
  • #1
I have a 95gt aode completely stock minus exhaust, anyways car ran great till about three weeks ago the engine is randomly shutting off and is hard to restart, it stalls hot and cold, while driving or at idle, last time it did it i was going 70mph on freeway the tach dropped to zero dash lights dimmed and car was coasting, key was left in the on position car still in drive, at about 60mph the car fire back up on its own and i was able to get it home, once home i ran codes, but all that came up was a tps code.
Car is given full tuneups yearly all fluids were changed recently cap,rotor,wires,plugs,coil,fuel filter and air filter were changed in last 6months.
fuel pressure was checked all is normal there, primes with every key turn like normal so i have kinda ruled that out so far

can not figure this out plz help
 
3

302GTS

If you need herpes, I'm your man!
Apr 20, 2009
481
2
18
Largo, FL
Dec 8, 2009
#2
  • Dec 8, 2009
  • #2
Gauges dieing and lights dimming make me think electrical... Get your battery and alternator checked out, along with the cables. Alternator sounds like it could definitely be a culprit.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Dec 8, 2009
#3
  • Dec 8, 2009
  • #3
I'd consider the PIP might be taking a poop.
 
M

mnstanggt

New Member
Dec 7, 2009
31
0
0
mn
Dec 8, 2009
#4
  • Dec 8, 2009
  • #4
thx i will have the battery and charging system checked in morning, lol i never suspected those because the battery has never gone dead on me i guess.
thx again
 
3

302GTS

If you need herpes, I'm your man!
Apr 20, 2009
481
2
18
Largo, FL
Dec 8, 2009
#5
  • Dec 8, 2009
  • #5
HISSIN50 said:
I'd consider the PIP might be taking a poop.
Click to expand...
+1 for that also, that's something to consider also.
 

94GTCoupe

10 Year Member
May 7, 2006
1,412
92
79
CA
Dec 8, 2009
#6
  • Dec 8, 2009
  • #6
+3 on the PIP.
you can get a reman dizzy,but as a wise man (Hissin)once pointed out to me,there is no guarantee that the PIP was replaced.

i would replace the pip itself.

heres a link to an awesome how to.

How-To: Rebuild Your Distributor and Replace the Stator
 
M

mnstanggt

New Member
Dec 7, 2009
31
0
0
mn
Dec 8, 2009
#7
  • Dec 8, 2009
  • #7
i will definitely try pip sensor, i have read that a couple times before but it was always associated with heat and since it stalls even when cold i thought that ruled it out, but i suppose not. thx again for all the suggestions
 

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
20+ Year Stangneter
Aug 26, 2004
2,374
140
113
Foothill Ranch, CA
Dec 8, 2009
#8
  • Dec 8, 2009
  • #8
I agree that PIP sounds like the culprit, but I'll toss something else in. I had a similar problem in my V6 (before the Cobra conversion in my sig), where the engine would just simply die. At first, I was able to restart the car while I was still coasting; as the issue kept coming up, I had to wait longer before the car would restart. In the end, it turned out to be my CCRM; one of the relays was dropping out killing all electrical power to my engine.

I think the starter motor was still working, but the engine would never catch.
 

xr8d302

I bought a 27" monitor to compensate for my lack o
Apr 29, 2004
1,113
0
36
Medicine Hat, AB
Dec 8, 2009
#9
  • Dec 8, 2009
  • #9
I don't need to say it, but I'm another + for the PIP advice. The EXACT problems were happening to my car, quick rebuild of the dizzy and she was good as gold. Don't forget to mark your dizzy position though, or you'll end up having to get that sorted out as well
 

Dino Dino Bambino

15 Year Member
Jun 13, 2007
1,672
89
79
Cyprus
Dec 8, 2009
#10
  • Dec 8, 2009
  • #10
HISSIN50 said:
I'd consider the PIP might be taking a poop.
Click to expand...

x 1,000,001
I had exactly the same problem earlier this year and a new PIP cured it. The engine ran perfectly until a new problem cropped up 4 months later. The tip snapped off the rotor leaving me stranded on the roadside. Replaced the rotor and the same thing happened again one week later. Turned out the distributor shaft bearings were worn out and the shaft had a slight wobble. A new Summit Racing billet aluminium dizzy cured that and I have a nearly new PIP sensor in my old dizzy as a spare.
Moral of the story? Check the distributor shaft for wear while you're there. Like mine, your original dizzy is 14 years old so it might be wise just to replace the whole thing so you don't have the same trouble I did a few months later.
 
M

mnstanggt

New Member
Dec 7, 2009
31
0
0
mn
Dec 12, 2009
#11
  • Dec 12, 2009
  • #11
update

Just an update on my stang,
I pulled the distributor out and was gonna change just the pip but i could barely turn the shaft it almost looked bent. so i went ahead and ordered a reman for now. installed it and car fired right up actually started faster than it use to.
I have to recheck my timing, the idle was loping like i had a big cam in it.
ill update after i drive tomorrow, hoping stalling is cured
 
3

302GTS

If you need herpes, I'm your man!
Apr 20, 2009
481
2
18
Largo, FL
Dec 12, 2009
#12
  • Dec 12, 2009
  • #12
Hopefully that should solve your issue, though it definitely sounds like it will! Congrats.
 
M

mnstanggt

New Member
Dec 7, 2009
31
0
0
mn
Dec 13, 2009
#13
  • Dec 13, 2009
  • #13
well heres the big update,
i set timing today and did some city driving and freeway, car never stalled once feels like i gained alittle power actually the headlights and dash were still really dim but ill figure those out eventually.
looks like the pip was the problem all along, thx to everyone for the help :
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

T
Fuel P0193 on a 2003 3.8 v6
  • Treemaster5000
  • Aug 18, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
74
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 18, 2026
Treemaster5000
T
K
Electrical 2000 GT Intermittent Engine Shutdown In Motion - DTC U1262
  • kenster1092
  • Apr 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
274
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Apr 24, 2026
squeak93
P
2000 GT Random Power Loss
  • Pinellas50
  • Mar 9, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
368
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Mar 23, 2026
Pinellas50
P
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
438
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
M
01 mustang 3.8 fuel pressure issue
  • Mhaley2006
  • May 29, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
365
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 9, 2026
JohnKay
J
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?