Progress Thread Cobra Rack In...Still Have Steering Slop

Thanks, not as purdy as real brakes like @Mustang5L5. Also don't know if you will really see them behind the ponys. I did however find a set of old school 17 inch ROH ZS wheels that I think would fit nicely, not sure about them on a white fox though.
Can't wear roh's with white after labor day.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Mid season update with a couple of new issues. Clutch is starting to slip after much spirited driving this season. I know I need to address this but I think it can wait until next year. After much debate I am going to stay with the stick. I was looking into upgrade options and there doesn't seem to be much out there. I don't need the TKO, but the only other option I see is an updated gear set from Astro or GForce that will costly roughly the same as the TKO after the rebuild. The Z spec seems to be most cost effective but I'm making 300 TQ to the wheels and worry about how much strong it actually is compared to a WC T5. This is only a street car so maybe this could work?

Next issue is, it seems like I have some blow by that needs to be addressed. The PCV valve popped out of the grommet and I noticed oil residue on the passenger side valve cover like it was leaking from that area. The screen looks a bit clogged and I will replace that but what I don't like was how easily it is to slide the valve out of the grommet. I am going setup a catch can and see if that helps. I have no smoking or any other issue that I noticed.

Last edited:
Mid season update with a couple of new issues. Clutch is starting to slip after much spirited driving this season. I know I need to address this but I think it can wait until next year. After much debate I am going to stay with the stick. I was looking into upgrade options and there doesn't seem to be much out there. I don't need the TKO, but the only other option I see is an updated gear set from Astro or GForce that will costly roughly the same as the TKO after the rebuild. The Z spec seems to be most cost effective but I'm making 300 TQ to the wheels and worry about how much strong it actually is compared to a WC T5. This is only a street car so maybe this could work?

Next issue is, it seems like I have some blow by that needs to be addressed. The PCV valve popped out of the grommet and I noticed oil residue on the passenger side valve cover like it was leaking from that area. The screen looks a bit clogged and I will replace that but what I don't like was how easily it is to slide the valve out of the grommet. I am going setup a catch can and see if that helps. I have no smoking or any other issue that I noticed.
I'm curious too what a good upgrade from the T5 or for the T5 would be without breaking the bank. My buddy has a TKO and is probably putting about 500rwhp down and his 3 gear isn't doing so well.

As for the PCV, I had the same issue with it not fitting snug enough in the grommet. A dab of RTV cured that real quick.

I'm curious too what a good upgrade from the T5 or for the T5 would be without breaking the bank. My buddy has a TKO and is probably putting about 500rwhp down and his 3 gear isn't doing so well.

As for the PCV, I had the same issue with it not fitting snug enough in the grommet. A dab of RTV cured that real quick.

I think this is one those situations where you have to pay to play unfortunately. I just can't see myself needing the TKO but I don't want to get punished if I go with the T5Z and abuse it every once in a while.
The current T5 is going on close to 200k and is actually still holding up, but I think thats attributed to the OE style clutch and the fact that I can't get traction with the current tires.

I'll throw some RTV around the PCV

Rubber gasket that holds the pcv in is likely toast, cheap, you'll find out when you change the screen.

It looked like it was holding up but when they installed the intake they put some RTV around the grommet so I will have to pry it out anwway.

Ok, new screen is in and a little RTV has the PCV valve in tight.

Well, when it rains it pours

When I started back up I noticed a coolant smell around the passenger side head. It was pretty strong and after a drive I checked fluid levels and am definitely losing coolant. However, my oil is not milky and I have no white or blue smoke from exhaust. Here is a picture of a plug I pulled from the head. Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_2829.JPG
IMG_2831.JPG

Yesterday I started on my mods for this season, but unfortunately Mother Nature was not having it today. Tilt steering wheel and new MM shaft will be going in first.

E2CEFB7F-2A43-479A-B5E3-42F5CD617BC7.jpeg
5792192F-BA6F-4874-A60D-A040CEBD1CC0.jpeg
92545496-51C0-4040-89F7-DC0CDC26CEB6.jpeg

E396774E-9DDD-4395-A0C5-7E4462CCD7E9.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Dou you have the gauge cluster etc. for the pre 90 car to go with the tilt column? If you need I have cluster and a perfect gauge cluster surround out of an 89. I would trade for yours if you want.

Tilty tilt. I actually haven’t installed the new shaft yet. I know, I know I should have done it with the column out, but I wanted to get this in so I could get the car running. I need to tackle the low MAF voltage code and get this bad boy on the road in preparation for the nice weather they keep teasing us with.

C2F29F44-3473-48C1-996D-9B1ED6685411.jpeg
70F36366-EB2F-4A28-8D1C-E1042EF06D88.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Car started making a strange grinding noise from the accessory area. Took the belt off and it went way. So I started playing is it the water pump, fan, or alternator. Didn’t take too long to see it was the alternator. The nut spun right off, I’m so damn lucky the pully didn’t spin off while driving. I have no idea how this happened. I want to upgrade to a 3g but it’s just not it the cards right now, so I picked up a reman unit for $80 bucks and am back in business.

08652FC3-BD48-4D04-BFE0-41BCA3617651.jpeg
D20A3F4C-040D-4DB8-B6DD-BB38EF8D694B.jpeg

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
good lord, what did all those parts cost you? looks like you did not skimp on parts/rebuild work. im currently swapping my hci motor (bad valve stem seal or bad rings) to a stock motor with 113k mi. I just spent some money on parts from lmr and AM and it hurt lol really nice work cleaning up your car man!