Progress Thread Finally got a new truck

This is what I need to fix.

48E6100D-F4AD-4456-9E71-BC38F09C9FA9.jpeg
BB119FA9-1E36-41FF-A5E1-0C484FF204F5.jpeg
0EF68EFF-32B1-4B3C-9623-C9542F1B704A.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

I’m going to need a frame tech to help me with this part. We are going to put the car up on our frame machine a square the front end up, then hammer and dolly the right apron.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That's awesome that you can do that at work. We can't do anything to our own stuff at my job.

Yeah that sucks. What do you do? I'm sorry I cant remember your name. It takes a little time to be able to do that. I've worked here at my current shop for almost 5 years. My boss and I get along pretty well so he's cool with it. As far as the help I need from the frame guy, I know Ill have to buy him some lunches and maybe a 12 pack of brew. But yeah, I'm thankful to be able to work on the car here. If I couldn't, Id have to run it through the shop on a RO# and pay employee cost on labor and have the techs do everything, which I don't want to do. I want to do as much as I can myself. Ill be there helping when the frame tech measures and pulls the rad support and apron, and Ill prep all the panels we are going to repaint. I might just have the painter do the paint work. I haven't painted anything on a car in a long time and I wasn't that good at it in the first place. If I do it, and do it wrong Ill be wasting materials and I don't think the boss would be too cool with that. I'm more of a "body guy."

I'm a master mechanic and lead tech for carmax. The only way I can get something fixed here is to have another tech write it up and work on it...paying almost full cost. If we touch our own car in the shop its grounds for immediate termination...not cool.

When I get out to Bernalillo this summer I'll have to hit you up ( I think you're in NM right ? ).

It's always great seeing people fix these cars the right way. So many people would've let that car get parted out over a little apron damage. Those ROHs still look good man.

My other job sends me all over the country...can't tell ya what that is or I'd have ta kill ya. Lol

I'm a master mechanic and lead tech for carmax. The only way I can get something fixed here is to have another tech write it up and work on it...paying almost full cost. If we touch our own car in the shop its grounds for immediate termination...not cool.

When I get out to Bernalillo this summer I'll have to hit you up ( I think you're in NM right ? ).

It's always great seeing people fix these cars the right way. So many people would've let that car get parted out over a little apron damage. Those ROHs still look good man.

My other job sends me all over the country...can't tell ya what that is or I'd have ta kill ya. Lol

Yeah I'm in Albuquerque. That's crazy that CarMax wont let you work on your own vehicle. I know that there are places like that though. That apron damage is minimal. I'm just glad I didn't find any major rust to speak of after I took it apart. I knew the car was a local car, never found any rust on the outside or underneath but it was good to see its pretty much rust free in those apron areas and cowl. There is some small areas of surface rust that ill take car of before I put it back together.

I'm still digging the ROHs, I never did polish them, but I will when I get the car back to my house. It was weird not seeing it in my garage when I got home last night.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
314A073F-35B8-4DD6-9CA0-C0F836E13247.jpeg

So these are the 5.0 emblems that are original to my car. Instead of buying new aftermarket emblems I’m going to see what they look like after I clean them up and redo them. I’m going to repaint them and retape.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users