Removing heads/intake. Good way to clean out the ports and make them clean "again"?

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
I'm sure my heads/intake are going to have oil/carbon all in them. What is a good way to clean the ports out clean and clean the heads and upper/lower intake while they are off?

Degreaser and pressure washer?

Thanks for any ideas:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

We have an industial parts washer at my College and that thing works wonders.

We put a 100,000 mile block in there for 2 hours and it came out looking new..

Im guessing any machine shop should have one. Call around.

A pressure washer would work too, but the parts washer uses really hot water and a special cleaner.

Good luck

onefstsnake said:
They shouldnt charge you much if anything to put it in a parts washer for a few hours...

Ship it to me and Ill throw it in the one here at school.

probably cost $25-30 to ship them and that's not real safe for him; I'd call the local machine shops, etc and ask how much it costs to hot tank heads.

I'll check on prices when I get the flywheel resurfaced at the shop. But what can I do in case it is a bit much. I'm trying to save money for that certain day on Dec. 25th as well:)

Carb cleaner and steel wool. Works WONDERS. Best wear an organic filter and some thick gloves. Toulene is nasty stuff.

It might just be easier to take all the good folks's advice and have a pro tank em.

I think I actually used some type of cleaner (probably degreaser) and some steel wool. Since yours are alluminum, you should be careful, though. I probablywouldn't use a metal brush or anything, but that's me.

Hot tanking them would be the easiest way. You could probably even get a pan of some sort big enough to fit them in and buy some solvent and soak them yourself - maybe boil some water on the stove and pour it in there, put a loose-fit lid on there to allow fumes, etc to get out, but keep big junk out of there and maybe keep as much heat in it as possible. You'll figure something out, I'm sure:nice:

Well I'll be making a visit to the machine shop anyways. Rebuild time...engine shut off with no oil pressure this morning because it overheated. Coolant/water froze. Thanks for the replies guys!

Hope all is ok David -- I was hopeful you could've parked it several weeks ago before it got even worse.

You're gonna want to drop block and heads at the machine shop now -- check for cracks, true decks/head surfaces, etc.