Road Atlanta Walter Mitty Challenge Information

Lsredy2kstang

Look, I'm special, dammit
Nov 29, 1999
Woodstcock, Georgia
Come Join the SVTOA-Atlanta Club at Road Atlanta!

We will be At Road Atlanta along with Grass Roots Motorsports Magazine to help them celebrate their 20th Anniversary. They have set aside a parking corral just for us so we can park together and promote the club. As a bonus, GRM has given us a coupon for one ride, at speed, in a Panoz race car. So one of our lucky club members will get the ride of a lifetime! All of these benefits require a minimum participation from our club. We need to get ten members to register for this event to participate. You can save some money and register early, or register at the event, so Come on out!

For those of you not familiar with the Walter Mitty Challenge, check it out here: http://www.hsrrace.com. You will see some of the most famous road race cars from the past displayed the way they should be; at speed! Everything from Ferrari to Lotus, and not just the foreign marques, you will see the big bad boys too; 7 liter (427ci) Can am cars, Trans Am pony cars. Just about every type of road race car is represented. And you can get up close and personal too. Your admission ticket gives you access to the paddock where you can see these cars up close. Read what Grass Roots Motorsports has planned:

Another year older, another year wiser:

That's our story and we're sticking to it. This year marks GRM's 20th anniversary, and to celebrate the occasion, we're throwing a birthday extravaganza at Historic Sportscar Racing's Classic Motorsports Walter Mitty Challenge and AutoFest presented by Moss Motors. The Tire Rack will be sponsoring the on-track action. Our sister publication, Classic Motorsports, also will be celebrating a birthday, as this spring marks its one-year anniversary.

The event takes place May 1-2 at Georgia's Road Atlanta. Lotus has been selected as the event's featured marque, meaning classic as well as contemporary cars from this important brand will be on display. An all-Lotus feature race has also been scheduled.

Using the Mitty's on-track action as a backdrop, our AutoFest event will be a three-ring circus of sorts for car lovers and club members, featuring a wide range of automotive activities, including:

Project car display: Grassroots Motorsports and Classic Motorsports project cars will be on hand for up-close inspection, with many also taking to the track for exhibition. Come see our fleet, from classic Porsches and Triumphs to our Miata, M3, Mustang, MINI Cooper S and more.

Click Here for Event Registration

Register Early and Save!: There will be special discounts for those that register early. Save your dough for the restoration project!

Click Here for Kumho Tires AutoFest Autocross

Kumho Tires MINI Cooper drive: Autocross test the latest tires from Kumho on their fleet of MINI Coopers: It's free to GRM and CMS subscribers. Drivers with the fastest times will be invited to a shootout Saturday evening, with a set of Kumho tires going to the overall victor.

Click Here for Car Clubs and Concours

Club corrals: Each club will get one, allowing members to park and gather.

Concours judgings: On Saturday, each club will select a winner for Sunday's Best of Show face-off. The overall winner gets a victory lap around the track plus a trophy.

Cruise-in: An award will be presented to the club with the greatest number of cars present and the most miles driven to the event.

Click Here for Informative Seminars

Seminars: Topics to be covered will include restoration tips to vintage race preparation and setup.

Click Here for Vendor Information

Vendors' row: A lineup of auto and automotive parts and accessories suppliers will be assembled.

Click Here for Swap Meet Information

Parts swap meet: Open to all: buy, sell and trade.

Sale corral: A special corral will be hosted for those looking to sell a classic.

Click Here for Touring and Hot Laps

Parade laps: Each club with 15 or more cars in attendance will be allowed to participate.

Hot laps: Two-lap rides at full speed will be given by professional drivers from the Panoz Racing School. One ticket each to be awarded by each club with 15 or more cars present.

Touring laps: Drive around Road Atlanta in your own car, albeit at slightly less than racing speeds.

But Wait, There's More!
Challenge car roundup: Cars built for the Kumho Tires Grassroots Motorsports $2004 Challenge Presented by CRC Industries will be on display.

Quick construction: The guys from Champion Motorcar Company will be on hand, building one of their Lotus Seven-like Locost cars. Can they really build a sports car in two days? Come find out.

Meet B.S.: Classic Motorsports regular B.S. Levy, author of "The Last Open Road" as well as other tall tales, will be on hand in our booth, signing books and shaking hands.

Pleasant amenities: Concession stands, shuttle buses and a children's playground area will be available all weekend. All spectators are permitted into the race paddock for close-up viewing of the classic race cars.

In addition to all of the infield activities, the on-track action will also be exciting, featuring a full slate of HSR races, featuring the Historic GTP/Group C Series, B.O.S.S. Super Cup Series, World Championship of Makes Series, Historic GT Series, World Sportscar Series, Historic Stock Car Racing Association, Klub Sport Porsche Challenge, American Muscle Car Challenge, Rolex Endurance Challenge Series and Dash Series Races.

Scott Laudenslager

Activities Director, Atlanta Chapter- SVTOA

[email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

I've raced the Mitty for 12 straight years. It is the best vintage race on the east coast (OK, the Zippo GP at the Glen is also good).

The lunch time track touring is a little expensive for what you get. In the past they have allowed the car clubs to tour the track for free (as a group) as part of the entry. No open exhaust on the sunday touring. They will black flag you if you exceed the posted speed limits in the lunch time touring.

Bert Levy's books are excellent. He is my favorite fiction author (but he does include true racing events of the time period with his fictional stories).

Thursday is optional testing/practice, Friday has practice (each group gets 2/day). Saturday is the qualifying and qualifying race. Friday has the final dash race for each group. They also have 3 different one hour enduros.

Alot of people camp. You'll meet some nice folks (and can have a few beers w/o worrying about driving home). No camp fires, so bring a grill. Restrooms are clean.

The muscle car race is friday afternoon (only stangs, camaros, tigers, vettes, firebirds).

They usually have a race on saturday night across the street at Lanier. We usually walk over and check out the fender/paint swap guys.

We've had as many as 10 Mustangs entered in the vintage (group 5) group. You'll see alot of Porsches (at least 100).

meeting place

I would suggest you could meet near turn 10. It has a good viewing area of the track, and they have alot of seating built into the hillside. That will also be near the midway. I understand alot of vendors will be there (including a dyno). They have several restrooms located in the infield. You can drive around the infield and check out most of the turns.

You can't drive into the paddock (unless you have a pass), but be sure to walk over and check out the cars.

1995cobraR said:
I would suggest you could meet near turn 10. It has a good viewing area of the track, and they have alot of seating built into the hillside. That will also be near the midway. I understand alot of vendors will be there (including a dyno). They have several restrooms located in the infield. You can drive around the infield and check out most of the turns.

You can't drive into the paddock (unless you have a pass), but be sure to walk over and check out the cars.

Yeah, i like turn 10. Will you be taking the r-model? I've never seen one in person. Looking forward to meeting you :flag:

1995cobraR,

I'll be in the '65 fastback. Our '66 wont be making the trip. But if the '65 you're talking about is the blue/white one, it will be easy to spot you. Despite what my avatar looks like, i have a white/blue clone. I can call you Doc right? My name is Chris. I'll see you tomorrow.:nice:

Mitty

Larry and Chris,

hsrracing.com has pics of the cars on track.

Sorry I didn't get to catch up with anyone (due to the awful weather). Oh well, maybe next year will be better.

I left Sunday morning due to the weather and then took my wife on a 2 week vacation (I have to do this for the wife so she will let me go racing).

Doc