Roush Saleen supercharger making funny noises...please help!

Acheron315

Oct 23, 2003
Charleston, SC
I posted this over on the corral and didnt get much help, maybe someone here can help me.

I bought a 2001 supercharged saleen almost a year ago. It now has 20,000 miles. Recently something in the engine bay has been whining (besides the supercharger ) , which I initially thought was the belt slipping. However, I looked at it a lot harder when it started getting progressively worse. Here are the symptoms:

1. Noise sounds like fuel pump noise, but 10 to 15 times louder, with a slightly more screeching quality. I can here it from inside the car with the windows closed at 50mph.
2. Noise only happens at idle or cruise with throttle body closed, as soon as the TB cracks open or there is load it goes away.
3. Noise increases a LOT if A/C is turned on.
4. Noise is from back of supercharger, possibly behind/ in back of supercharger. Not from snout or belts.
5. The boost sender was loose, and I tightened it back up. This seemed to reduce the noise (might be just psychological), but it still comes on, mostly only when A/C is turned on.

Has anyone else had this noise before? It is really worrying me and is driving me nuts. I am really type A about stuff being mechanically right with my car, and this is mystifying me.

• Sponsors (?)

I know this is of no help to you but my 03 saleen supercharger makes a noise also. It sounds like the pulley is making the noise but only when no acceleration. I took it to the dealership and they called saleen and they said it needs to just wear in. I have 5000 miles on it and still makes the sound. Do you still have your warranty? Take it in and do a lot of bickering until it gets fixed. let me know if you find out what the problem was.

I have my warranty, but the nearest Saleen dealer is over 2 hours away and I can't really leave the car overnight there. I shudder to think of the local ford dealer touching my car...I really don't think they could do anything.

Acheron315 said:
I really don't think they could do anything.

They can do what a local Ford dealer in NJ did, they took my Saleen out for
joy rides. 11 miles and rubber all over the rear 1/4's. "They needed to road
test the new subwoofers". :rolleyes: Don't EVER leave a high performance vehicle at
a dealer, you need to stay and watch them at all times.

tfalk said:
They can do what a local Ford dealer in NJ did, they took my Saleen out for
joy rides. 11 miles and rubber all over the rear 1/4's. "They needed to road
test the new subwoofers". :rolleyes: Don't EVER leave a high performance vehicle at
a dealer, you need to stay and watch them at all times.
That's sucks! What did you say when you found out? I would have lost it. Was this the same dealer that you bought it from? If I have to ever have my vehicle worked on I always write down the milage before I turn it over. It's not their car so they don't give a $hit! One time I came to pick up my car and this 17 yr old kid drives it around and right over a speed bump harder than I ever would have. Also the cd player was on and it was off when I handed it in. I raised hell in front of all the costumers that were there. They promised me that it would never happen a :nonono: . It's like your warranty is useless when this happens. :notnice:

Check your idler pulley. I've seen a couple cases of this in Saleens (mine as well) and it seems to be this one quite often. Mine had the exact same symptoms and it made a pretty annoying buzzsaw noise. Check it out, it could be either loose or off center and sometimes requires replacement. It'll fix the problem right up.

And yeah, I've had my fair share of people taking my car out. Drove right past them driving my car, and driving it HARD. I followed them right back to the dealership and raised hell, and they were "making sure it was working absolutely correctly". I think someone got fired over it. Now, I always check my odometer before and after. Nothing like finding out the second time I went to the same dealership that they had driven it 75 miles (!). And yeah, someone DID get fired over that!

By the way, am I the only one not going by number? :D 01-216!

I am thinking it is either the idler or the AC clutch. Haven't had time to check it over well.

I would never leave my car at the dealer...I have done all my work myself. Even when stuff that should be covered under warranty (intercooler temp sender) goes out, I just replace it myself. The extra cost is worth the peace of mind of someone abusing the car.