Scored Some Staggered Pony Rs, What Size Tires?

deathb4dismount

Crap, didn’t realize my crotch was in that picture
15 Year Member
Oct 6, 2011
THE BUCKET
When you think you have a great deal there is always a but. Picked up some Pony Rs for $350 today. The wheels are in great shape.

IMG_2774.JPG
IMG_2775.JPG

Here is the but, though. On one of the ten inch wheels the holes for studs are oblonged. I'm not a wheel guy but I know that's not good. Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_2776.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Looks like someone had the lug nuts loose on that wheel, or they loosened up.

Since lugs use tapered seats, they should be ok. Of course might be better if someone looked at in in person. Might want to find a local wheel repair shop and see if they can clean it up a tad with some light machining. Better safe that sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I must be out of the loop but I have never heard nor seen "pony rs"

As far as the oblong hole im assuming you can still mount the tire on the car you are just concerned about what could happen if you do?

They have been around for awhile. These are 17x10 and 17x8. These are the Mavromont ones which aren't sold anymore. Not sure if they are the same as the 50resto 17 inch ponys

Looks like someone had the lug nuts loose on that wheel, or they loosened up.

Since lugs use tapered seats, they should be ok. Of course might be better if someone looked at in in person. Might want to find a local wheel repair shop and see if they can clean it up a tad with some light machining. Better safe that sorry.

I just sent a picture to a friend of mine who used to work at a wheel shop. He said it looks like nothing to worry about but wants to check it out to be sure. I still can't believe I only paid 350 for these

I know Nittos run a little narrower so I was thinking 315/35/17, or would the 275 ET street s/s be a better fit? I prefer the rear tires to sit square but would rather have them bulge than stretch. What should I run up front? @TOOLOW91 , I believe you can help with this.

I know Nittos run a little narrower so I was thinking 315/35/17, or would the 275 ET street s/s be a better fit? I prefer the rear tires to sit square but would rather have them bulge than stretch. What should I run up front? @TOOLOW91 , I believe you can help with this.

I run 275/40 et street s/s and they are square but do let the lip of the wheel where the bead sits protrude a little bit. This seems to be a m/t thing as my buddies 03 cobra wheels did the same thing with the et street 2s on it .

The nittos in 275 sat flush to the lip but did run a little small so the side wall appeared to have a slight stretch vs being square

I run 275/40 et street s/s and they are square but do let the lip of the wheel where the bead sits protrude a little bit. This seems to be a m/t thing as my buddies 03 cobra wheels did the same thing with the et street 2s on it .

The nittos in 275 sat flush to the lip but did run a little small so the side wall appeared to have a slight stretch vs being square

Thanks man. I looked into the Toyo Proxes TQs and they seem to run a little wider than the Nitto 275 so I am going to try that. They are also the least expensive and supposed to have about the same tread life as the Nitto. If I go with 275/40 should I go 245/45 front?

Thanks man. I looked into the Toyo Proxes TQs and they seem to run a little wider than the Nitto 275 so I am going to try that. They are also the least expensive and supposed to have about the same tread life as the Nitto. If I go with 275/40 should I go 245/45 front?
That's exactly what I run. I think it works well

Looks like someone cross threaded an acorn nut once or twice. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Worst possible scenario is you will need to have a machinest touch up the taper.

Here is what I recommend. Buy a standard $2 disposable acorn nut. Lube up the the threads on the studs with oil. Mount the rims, and drive the nut down with an impact, full balls. The taper on the acorn will round out the taper on the wheel. Take them back off, clean everything up, and re-install with a torque wrench.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user