Scuba anyone?

91ghp5.0

May 25, 2005
Somewhere
Like the title says. Who here scuba dives? I'm trying to get into the sport, doing all the PADI reading now and getting certified (hopefully) on my cruise in two weeks. Eastern carribean, here i come. What are the best manufacturers for BCD's, Regulators, alternate air sources, etc. I've heard TUSA and oceanpro, but that was just from another friend who just recently did the class. any help to a newbie would be awesome! oh, and i think this just may be more expensive (respectively) than cars.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm certified and heading off to Cozumel at the end of the month to go diving, I love going. I don't have any advice on brand names since I'm not hardcore and only go a few times a year. I really feel though if the old saying "you get what you pay for" applies to anything it is this. I don't want cheap equipment when I'm 100+ feet under water.

Have fun on your trip btw!

trents99 said:
I'm certified and heading off to Cozumel at the end of the month to go diving, I love going. I don't have any advice on brand names since I'm not hardcore and only go a few times a year. I really feel though if the old saying "you get what you pay for" applies to anything it is this. I don't want cheap equipment when I'm 100+ feet under water.

Have fun on your trip btw!

i shall, thanks! same to you. i dont think im allowed to go that deep, not totally sure on that though. im sure i'll be told in my class on the cruise ship. i think i've decided on a basic kit, because im a broke college student, but its what the local place rents and reccomends for beginners. 600 bills!

http://www.floridascubadepot.com/scuba_gear/Scuba_Packages/Oceanic_Oceanpro_Package

that shop is right up the road from me, and they were a great help today. i can even add on a dive computer for 140 bucks, which would be awesome. i was in cozumel two summers ago on a cruise, its a cool place, and i only went snorkeling, but from what i saw, i wish i could have scuba'd. oh, and strype, thats hilarious, but quite disturbing :rolleyes:

91ghp5.0 said:
i shall, thanks! same to you. i dont think im allowed to go that deep, not totally sure on that though. im sure i'll be told in my class on the cruise ship. i think i've decided on a basic kit, because im a broke college student, but its what the local place rents and reccomends for beginners. 600 bills!

http://www.floridascubadepot.com/scuba_gear/Scuba_Packages/Oceanic_Oceanpro_Package

that shop is right up the road from me, and they were a great help today. i can even add on a dive computer for 140 bucks, which would be awesome. i was in cozumel two summers ago on a cruise, its a cool place, and i only went snorkeling, but from what i saw, i wish i could have scuba'd. oh, and strype, thats hilarious, but quite disturbing :rolleyes:

That's not a bad deal at all, keep in mind though you still need snorkel, fins, mask, boots if you don't have them all ready. Those add another $150-$200.

One thing I forgot to mention. Check with the cruiseline on the depths you will be allowed to dive. I doubt it would be more than 60ft tops. Reason being is if I were you I would get dive insurance through DAN. A friend of mine got the bends and had to go to the decompression chamber. Total bill was over $11,000 but the insurance covered every single penny. I believe they also now cover loss of equipment.