Progress Thread Seriously? Another Boosted Coyote Swap Build? - Still Slowly Moving Forward

• Sponsors (?)

They look cut wrong to me. Very cool idea though.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I'm going to contact the guy tonight and see what he has to say. I didn't want to bend them up before I talk to him though, and was hoping these would be a little more of an exact fit. Otherwise I would have made them myself.

I'm seeing why these 2018+ motors are making the power they do.

I discovered the secret several months ago. :ninja:

giphy.gif

I do not however know what is necessary to summon the unicorn, yet. :cautious:

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't there a difference between the strut towers on early and late fox bodies? I can't remember the years, but there are different Caster/Camber plates for up to 87 or 89 and then up to 93 from there. The holes that mount the plate on top are different layouts.

• Agree
Isn't there a difference between the strut towers on early and late fox bodies? I can't remember the years, but there are different Caster/Camber plates for up to 87 or 89 and then up to 93 from there. The holes that mount the plate on top are different layouts.
Yep, your right. IIRC, the bolt pattern is slightly different and the shape of the tower is also slightly different. I haven't heard back from the guy yet, but that's one of the questions I asked him since I did tell him this was an '89.

So I found this, which details the differences between the early fox body strut towers and the 90-93 strut towers. I didn't think the changes were all that significant between the two, at least not as much to make those re-enforcement plates look as off as they do. Unless I'm missing something, this does help confirm that.

Caster and camber plates for mustangs
79-89 plates at top, 90-93 plates on bottom
caster-camber-plates-full-plate-strut-hardware.jpg

79-89 bottom plate on left, 90-93 bottom plate on right
caster-camber-plates-full-plate-early-late-main-plates.jpg

So the owner at Izzy's (Scott) seems to be a pretty cool guy and is working with me to get a set of re-informant plates for my car that fits. After some back and forth I was able to figure out that he developed these plates on a 91 Mustang and had never fitted them to a pre-90's car. I never thought the differences between the tower's were that big after the switch in 90, but they are. Mainly, the mounting holes are orientated differently and the whole assembly is moved in and toward the firewall to allow for more camber and caster out of the stock plates.

I was concerned I should switch to the 90+ shock towers after figuring out exactly what changed (increased caster and camber adjustement), but Jack at Maximum Motorsports says there is no reason to swap the towers out on my car if I will be running the MM k-member and forward offset control arms since that setup will give me all the caster and camber adjustment I would want. So I am sticking with the towers I have.

I pre-fitted the original plates Scott sent to me and I provided him with the adjustments I would make to the overall fit. The passenger side plate fits great with no adjustments while the drivers side was close, but I suggested removing a 1/4 of material on the back of the plate and to revise the cut on the one tab toward the firewall so as to fit the shock tower better. The strut holes are of course way off, so I traced where they should be on the existing plates and sent him an exact template of them so he can adjust his original design. He said he'll work on it this weekend and send me out a set of plates based on my changes and go from there.

In the end, I will get a set of re-inforcement plates that fit and Scott will be able to correctly market these plates to the pre-90 mustang crowd. You know, the crazy ones like me that see the need to re-inforce the shock towers like this because I drive a "little" aggressively on track.

Here's some pics of the plates for a 90+ and how much of a difference there is between those strut holes and the holes for a pre-90.
Driver's Side:
IMG_20181001_192703161_HDR.jpg

Passenger Side:
IMG_20181001_192709872_HDR.jpg

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
I was originally only going to be removing the upper control arm mounts. After getting the passenger side off I determined it's going to be easier just to remove the whole assembly with the drivers side attached. I'm almost there, ran out of time and beer last night so I threw in the towel. I'll finish it up tonight.

This is probably the biggest PITA thing I've done so far. Really makes me wish I had built a rotisserie in the beginning....

4026708.jpg

I was originally only going to be removing the upper control arm mounts. After getting the passenger side off I determined it's going to be easier just to remove the whole assembly with the drivers side attached. I'm almost there, ran out of time and beer last night so I threw in the towel. I'll finish it up tonight.

This is probably the biggest PITA thing I've done so far. Really makes me wish I had built a rotisserie in the beginning....

4026708.jpg
I’m just about convinced to do that myself.

I thought about removing it before when I wanted Wild Rides upper and lower torque boxes.