Engine setting valve lash on stud mounted roller rockers with intake already installed.

rockyracoon

10 Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
margate NJ
Im waiting for new pushrods to arrive and to save time I would like to have the intake already installed.
Since I wont be able to see the lifters what is the best procedure to set valve lash ?

Can I just bring up tdc for each cylinder so that the cam will be on the base circle to set lash ?

• Sponsors (?)

Personally I'd wait to install the intake until after you get the pushrods installed. You have to make 100% sure the pushrod is seated in the center of the lifter cup. With the intake off, you can visibly see where the pushrod is making contact with the lifter. IF you do put the intake on, and then add pushrods in, you just lose the ability to see where it physically rests on the lifter. It becomes more of a 'by feel' process at that point.

As for setting the lash, I would also recommend doing that with the intake off. Since setting lash is also by feel, its more convenient to get your fingers around the pushrod when you have open access to the lifter valley. With the intake on, you can still get your fingers on the pushrod, but you can only grab the part protruding above the head and under the rocker arm. That's not a lot of room if you have large fingers.

In contrast, adding the intake only takes minutes, at which I'd just wait on it until the valvetrain is completed first

Is this is a solid lifter engine where you set the lash, or a hydraulic lifter engine where you set the preload? Honest question. I generally adjust the preload on rockers with the intake on. It really doesn't make any difference.

Kurt