Should I install a baffle in the oil fill hole of my valve covers?

Hey guys, just got some new Edelbrock valve covers and noticed that the set came with 2 baffles. I'm planning on installing one at the PVC port but was wondering if I should or should not install one at the oil fill hole. I have a typical breather cap that I'm going to reuse there.

• Sponsors (?)

Definately use the baffle..............unless you like oil dripping on the valve covers all the time. Trust me.....I ditched the breather caps for a plumbed catch can....and NO...I don't have any blow by either.

Does anyone know if you can get just the baffles?

In my infinite wisdom I tossed my baffles from my new aluminum covers since they didn't clear my guidplates. So, not only do I have to modify some, I have to find some!

Yeah, I have some oil leaking out of the breather since I have no baffle.

Can has a breather.

I figured it had to be vented somehow. The valve covers I have on the car right now are not baffled as I have rollers and they were removed to clear. I do get some oil through both the PVC valve and the breather which is why I got new covers that will clear the rollers w/ baffles. With the baffles in place under what conditions would you ever get oil past them into a catch can?

Spraying a 300-400 shot of nitrous with a killer oiling system.
I have stock covers modified with baffles and the breather tubes to a vented can...haven't had any oil get to the can yet....just fumes. Seems to work good.

In my infinite wisdom I tossed my baffles from my new aluminum covers since they didn't clear my guidplates. So, not only do I have to modify some, I have to find some!

Yeah, I have some oil leaking out of the breather since I have no baffle.
If you are using aftermarket valve covers you can buy 1.22" breather grommets with the baffle built-in from Moroso. There are also grommets that are "blanks" with no holes in them. I use a blank one under a K&N breather as an oil filler plug in front, with the two PCV hoses at the rear. I used to have a universal "OIL" cap that fits into a standard grommet hole but it fell off. The K&N breather/grommet combo is a tighter fit and won't go anywhere.

If you are refering to the metal ones inside the cover, you could use a nice firm piece of alum. flashing from any hardware store. Trim it to the shape you want, add a couple of holes and no more oil sloppy.

Just a piece to add. I had the FMS valve covers for years and they would sling oil past, even with the baffles in. The oil on the motor was a pain but the real embarrassment came from the fact that the oil would build up in my pcv tube. When I got on the throttle the oil would suck into the motor and begin smoking everywhere.:notnice:

If you are refering to the metal ones inside the cover, you could use a nice firm piece of alum. flashing from any hardware store. Trim it to the shape you want, add a couple of holes and no more oil sloppy.

Just a piece to add. I had the FMS valve covers for years and they would sling oil past, even with the baffles in. The oil on the motor was a pain but the real embarrassment came from the fact that the oil would build up in my pcv tube. When I got on the throttle the oil would suck into the motor and begin smoking everywhere.:notnice:

That's what my problem was, when I got my car it had Cobra covers and the baffles had been removed to clear the rockers and I was getting some blow-by. I just installed my new Edelbrock covers that clear the rockers w/ the baffles installed.

I think they make spacers that will move your valve covers further up from the valves if yer current covers wont clear the rockers. If you put a spacer in like that then you wouldn't have to worry about the baffle clearing.