Shouldn't a Ford Racing clutch cable say Ford Racing?

tm4mcgrath1

Founding Member
Aug 31, 2002
South Jersey
OK, my junk UPR cable just broke on me and I needed a cable fast so I went to a local speed shop here in NJ called Ben Pillas. I don't usually go there because Jeg's and Summit are cheaper, but thats a different matter. Anyways, the box has a Ford Racing sticker on it with the M-7553-C302 part number on it, but the cable itself says made in Taiwan and HSN on it. Everything about it looks just like the UPR cable I bought 4 months ago. Did I get ripped off?

My Ford Racing roller rockers say "Crane" on them; Ford Racing makes virtually none of their own product; they are largely a marketing company. Almost all their product is made by someone else. Thought you were getting "Ford" parts did you....in the world of a global economy, it's often more profitable for companies to have someone else manufacture things for them.

I realize that Ford doesnt make the majority of their parts, but I figured that they would at least print "Ford Racing" on the cable somewhere. It's not that I am dissapointed or anything, but every minute detail on this cable looks exactly the same as the UPR cable I bought 4 months ago, which is now almost in two pieces. I have read a million posts on how much better the Ford cable is than any other adjustable unit on the market, yet the look to be the same.

If I am paying $70 for a clutch cable Ford Racing could at least make sure that the manufacturer takes the time to print a damn Ford oval on there somewhere. Not only would it add more horseposer(pun intended), but it would make me feel better

The Ford stock styloe cables and adjustable cabes are better then most of the others...I trashed 3 of the adjustables in 4 weeks from another company, they stretched a lot....

Just a little update on my clutch cable situation:

I installed the new cable, but prior to doing so I lubed the cable up with some PJ1 motorcycle chain lube. I also attached the cable to the first hook on my UPR quadrant (as opposed to having it on the second hook). The clutch action is silky smooth now with a very light pedal and a positive feel. Hopefully this cable will last longer than 4 months. Thanks for the replies.