• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

smoking but running cool....Help

  • Thread starter Thread starter TrophyHead
  • Start date Start date Sep 18, 2004

TrophyHead

15 Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
1,195
11
49
PA
Sep 18, 2004
#1
  • Sep 18, 2004
  • #1
My motor is smoking from the back-side of the intake. It looks like it's coming from the EGR valve. The funny thing is my car is running nice and cool. So I dont think its a intake or head gasket. It's not smoking bad just a bit coming out the back of the intake around the EGR valve.

I ran codes and I got MAP sensor out of range. Where the heck is this sensor located and could it cause the back side of my intake to smoke?

Also how do you guys check for vaccum leaks? Do you pull the Intake right off?

Any idea's? Thanks
 
D

Daggar

New Member
Jul 19, 2004
3,902
5
0
Sep 18, 2004
#2
  • Sep 18, 2004
  • #2
get yourself a can of starting fluid and spray around the area. If the car stumbles or idles up you got a Vac leak. If you can see where the smoke is coming from then (EGR) then (with the motor off) stick a vac pump on it and see if the diaphram is shot. Could be the gasket is bad as well. I wouldn't worry too much about that code till you were sure that everything is sealed the way it should be. Your leak could be causing that code.
 

TrophyHead

15 Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
1,195
11
49
PA
Sep 18, 2004
#3
  • Sep 18, 2004
  • #3
Thanks Dagger. Its a vaccum leak it got all goofy after I sprayed the starting fluid.

Now the line looks like it runs under the intake. What is the correct way to do this? I'm assuming I need to take the top intake manifold off but just want to make sure. Thanks again.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Sep 19, 2004
#4
  • Sep 19, 2004
  • #4
TrophyHead said:
Thanks Dagger. Its a vaccum leak it got all goofy after I sprayed the starting fluid.

Now the line looks like it runs under the intake. What is the correct way to do this? I'm assuming I need to take the top intake manifold off but just want to make sure. Thanks again.
Click to expand...
nice work Daggar.

if the leak seems to be from a line between the upper intake (aka plenum) and lower intake or the gasket between the two, i might pop the plenum off. if you have torx bits, it is a 5 minute deal (no need to remove the TB, etc - at least not when i did it).

get a new gasket. then inspect all the vac lines under the plenum. they really cook, esp. a fatter one on the front of the upper. then i would button it back up (no dressing on the gasket, IMHO). torque to proper specs - dont overtighten the upper. follow a nice sequence since you already have issues.

good luck.
 

TrophyHead

15 Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
1,195
11
49
PA
Sep 19, 2004
#5
  • Sep 19, 2004
  • #5
I got the the upper plenum off. What a cluster under there. I have to go pick up a TQ wrench now.

Hissin50- Thanks for the information.

Just one more question: Do I need black RTV silicone on the gasket between the upper and lower plenum?
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Sep 19, 2004
#6
  • Sep 19, 2004
  • #6
TrophyHead said:
Hissin50- Thanks for the information.

Just one more question: Do I need black RTV silicone on the gasket between the upper and lower plenum?
Click to expand...

as i said, i personally dont like to use anything (no dressing). i suppose one could use a tiny amount if desired - it could just make for a messier job next time though.

good luck.
 

TrophyHead

15 Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
1,195
11
49
PA
Sep 19, 2004
#7
  • Sep 19, 2004
  • #7
I'm not gonna use any RTV might restrict some airflow and get messy.

Might get a spacer but for a stock block not sure if it's even worth it. Contemplating on porting the lower aswell. I actually enjoy working on the motor. It's more relaxing than doing brake work.

Thanks for clearing me up. I'm good to go now.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Vacc leak detector
  • Creomod
  • Jul 19, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
169
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 25, 2026
Mustang5L5
D
Question about EGR valve, replacement, and a part on the valve.
  • DPP
  • May 9, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
195
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech May 23, 2026
DPP
D
K
Resolved Need some assistance. Holley Terminator X alongside H/C/I. Very rough/inconsistent idle
  • karhoot
  • Jun 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
138
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 6, 2026
karhoot
K
G
Resolved Smoking Wiring Issue After GT40 Head Swap
  • Grapes
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
451
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 22, 2026
Grapes
G
Engine Stock TB - smoke test - leaking bad
  • R82148V
  • May 18, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
28
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 5, 2025
R82148V
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?