Progress Thread Snow - 93 GT Vert. My first Ford, Mustang, convertible, ...

Kinda should have that cap on the canister, I think you can get them at NAPA, all the fords pretty much used the same canister/vent caps from the mid to late 70's to at least late 90's, possibly longer.
No one sells that I can find except LMR. 2 for $10 which I’m fine with but I don’t want to get hit with shipping. I’ll have to see how much and how long to ship.

• Sponsors (?)

Daniel Carpenter makes repops of that cap, but you can’t buy direct. Need to buy from a distributor like LMR

OE part number is D1AZ-9E602-B. They are available, but more expensive

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Went for a short ride up the road. All seems well.

Belt tensioner sure seems to be moving each time I drive. Is there something I’m missing here? I’m smog and ac delete. Using a continental belt. Not sure what is causing, I will have to keep an eye on it.

Tensioner should have an indexed on the back of it (think round short peg sticking up off the back of it) that goes into a hole on the bracket. This keeps it from rotating.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello hello from :poo:ty spring New England! Its about that time of the year again. The time to bring out the rust-free Florida cars and try to drive them more than you work on them.

No new news on my front, other than the kids toilet 5.7 Dodge Magnum needing a new timing cover. Luckily, I got my wrenches wet on this 302 project! Half way done that mopar menace.

On a more depressing front, I do have to say goodbye to my 2008 Elantra. Over 222k on it. Runs great except for a rough idle on start due to EGR something or other which I couldn't fix. New England rust is also starting to creep on it. Ultimately it needs new lower control arms across the board, rear pads and prolly a rear caliper rebuild. Most significant is I believe the front driver wheel bearing needs replacing. Just not worth the $$$ or even time at this point. While a much longer story which would make this grown ass man cry, the truly sad part is this car is will be the most significant attachment I have to my late mother RIP. She passed over 10 years ago unexpectedly and this car has always felt a part of her to me. Ive spent a lot of money and time keeping it going, all worth it, but the time has come. It will be hard for me to drop it off at the yard, but I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it private party. I trust my local yard to do the right thing.

Sad eyes aside, happy soon-to-be summer!!

So with losing a car, I think my next step is to get the 302 running so it can be a local grocery getter. I dont think I have much to do other than replacing the motor for the roof. This way if I get caught out in the rain accidentally I can cover up.

How do others get "peace of mind" on their older vehicles that they wont have issues driving them more frequently? Im just assuming this comes with dilligence on maintenance and paying attention to noises/fluids which show themselves?

Last edited:
You could have saved a seat out of that nisson and made a chair out of it.....Mom's Chair....with wheels!! Beddern a Barco-lounger :p
I have a Corrolla and I hate that car but it's just been so f'n dependable it's almost embarrassing, who am I kidding....... It is embarrassing :(

Reactions: 1 users
Yes you’re right. If you attend to every issue eventually it will (hopefully) be reliable. Preventative maintenance goes a long way. Also, roadside assistance may provide some peace of mind.

So with losing a car, I think my next step is to get the 302 running so it can be a local grocery getter. I dont think I have much to do other than replacing the motor for the roof. This way if I get caught out in the rain accidentally I can cover up.

How do others get "peace of mind" on their older vehicles that they wont have issues driving them more frequently? Im just assuming this comes with dilligence on maintenance and paying attention to noises/fluids which show themselves?
My 90 LX convertible has been completly trouble free for a few months now. That's getting groceries, and driving it quite a bit during the week. I have just about replaced everything over the years. I think the biggest reason for greatness is my completly rebuilt distributor with PIP. Also a huge difference was sending out my fuel injectors to be cleaned. When they came back the car was a different animal.

Reactions: 2 users
Just a picture trying to instigate
IMG_4445.jpeg