Progress Thread Snow - 93 GT Vert. My first Ford, Mustang, convertible, ...

• Sponsors (?)

Well that took forever

Spacer not saved, though those are easily replaceable.

AC789FDB-64D2-4764-829C-3A5CF6B787FE.jpeg
7517D93A-5272-4F82-83BF-226B9B9BA553.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Anything else I should tear down prior to taking off the heads?

What order should I take the remaining items off? Any pictures or positions I should mark or record prior to tear down?
B4146C2E-FD1A-4D7E-903C-8850A2D6AEDE.jpeg
9C913342-318C-4149-892D-2574A36A8F7E.jpeg

Bring it up to TDC, mark the rotor position on the inside of the distributor and mark the distributor flange and the block, I use a chisel to score a mark.
Thank you for this. I will do all of it before next steps. That said, I know the distributor, what TDC means, but not how to do any of those. I will start reading now.

As for tear down, I will be following this video unless anyone has other recommendations:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssJ7-sCo_rg

What I do is pull the plugs, get a breaker bar on the crank bolt, turn the engine till the timing marks show on the balancer, I stick a small, long screw driver into the #1 spark plug hole and you'll feel the piston rise, when it stops the balancer should be at or near TDC, you can move the crank back and forth to determine the point when the piston stops, you can also tell how loose your timing chain is. Most even at 100k are still pretty tight, use the chisel to score a mark on the distributor flange and the pad on the block, I also score a mark after I set the timing, my car likes 13*.

The long screwdriver thing makes my OCD go loopy. I like a thin dowel rod,or something else that won't potentially scratch.
I see your point, anything that can be used to 'feel' the piston move can be used, keep in mind the area between the piston and the head at TDC is small so the object has to be small, so as not to jamb between the piston and head.

Trying to rotate the engine to TDC, I am using a 24mm socket on the bolt in the pulley attached to the harmonic balancer and going clock-wise. When I get to the below position, I get some sort of spring-like winding. Meaning, it feels like I am needing to pull too hard and when I let go, it releases and moves back to the previous location. Do I need to pull harder? Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Do I need to remove all spark plugs or just cylinder #1?

Pic 1 is original rotor location. Pic 2 is where rotor location seems to be "stuck" or "winding?" Pic 3 is spark plug #1
IMG_1857.jpeg
IMG_1860.jpeg
IMG_1859.jpeg

Last edited:
You're fighting a compression stroke, pull all the plugs.
Pulled all the plugs. Looked good I think, with only #8, the last one at the bottom of the pic (driver side closest to drive #8?) looking white (pic at bottom)

Still hard. I mean, I can certainly sack-up here if whats happening is the spring is acting stronger than my barbie doll arms. I just worry about going all he-man on this and breaking something. Is there anything to be broken by turning clockwise? Im using one of these: IMG_1862.jpeg
IMG_1861.jpeg

1673311347389.png

Tried to tell y'all I was a complete noob with this.

Took out of gear and turning easy.

Question: What would of happened if I would have gone all he-man on the crank with the vehicle in gear?