Progress Thread Snow - 93 GT Vert. My first Ford, Mustang, convertible, ...

What I do is pull the plugs, get a breaker bar on the crank bolt, turn the engine till the timing marks show on the balancer, I stick a small, long screw driver into the #1 spark plug hole and you'll feel the piston rise, when it stops the balancer should be at or near TDC, you can move the crank back and forth to determine the point when the piston stops, you can also tell how loose your timing chain is. Most even at 100k are still pretty tight, use the chisel to score a mark on the distributor flange and the pad on the block, I also score a mark after I set the timing, my car likes 13*.
How can I tell how loose the timing chain is?

What is the pad on the block?

• Sponsors (?)

When you get to O on the balancer, move the crank back, there is a point between turning one way and the other where the crank feels loose, just a bit, like a worn socket, how many miles on the engine?
The pad I referred to is the mounting surface for the distributor

What I do is pull the plugs, get a breaker bar on the crank bolt, turn the engine till the timing marks show on the balancer, I stick a small, long screw driver into the #1 spark plug hole and you'll feel the piston rise, when it stops the balancer should be at or near TDC, you can move the crank back and forth to determine the point when the piston stops, you can also tell how loose your timing chain is. Most even at 100k are still pretty tight, use the chisel to score a mark on the distributor flange and the pad on the block, I also score a mark after I set the timing, my car likes 13*.
Using the screw driver method, I get the screw driver pushed out twice in 360 degrees. Using this method, how do I know which one is TDC?

100% confident on TDC. Got a nice hiss on the way up. Still pointing to #1 plug on cap.
IMG_1871.jpeg
IMG_1870.jpeg
IMG_1869.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
If you have some old oil and a torch you can coat the acid washed bolts with carbon. Clean them good to get any residue off. I wire brushed mine. Just heat them until they go from a rainbow color until they turn back gray. Emmediatly dip in a container of old oil. My bolts have been holding up nice and blackened for about 2.5 years. I think it's way cooler than paint and closer to factory style bolts.

View: https://youtu.be/CTMUEmQbniM

Sorry no updates lately. I hurt my back working on the wife’s minivan. Replaced the sliding door cables. Back was sore the next morning from working all cramped in the back of the van. I’m my infinite wisdom I figured to stretch my back out the next working with a swim and some weights. Here we are 2 weeks later …

Did some of the oil drip thing. Pic of some completed vs original. These are the exhaust manifold bolts which have been soaking in vinegar for like 2 weeks.

Gonna wipe up the engine a bit to ensure all that grit is gone.

039CD18F-C6D1-4984-AB40-CB8F97032B32.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user