Progress Thread Snow - 93 GT Vert. My first Ford, Mustang, convertible, ...

• Sponsors (?)

Escaped Harbor Freight only spending $40. I call this a win
84377B1D-204C-442A-A4A0-EBED3E1CCB87.jpeg

Valve doesn’t want to come out. Looks like there is some mushrooming at the keeper notch in the stem shaft. Is this common? What is the play here?

If I pull it through I’m sure it will burr up the guide. Should I try to steel wool it down? I’m assuming scotch brite won’t be enough. I’ll try and clean it up and show it better
AB1C33BC-C9F8-4988-AF06-6869FA024610.jpeg
146D4E1C-9B7A-4FE4-9AFA-CD07F4D4633A.jpeg

Typically shims on new springs are to get the installed height correct. On older springs they can be used to get more closed pressure but then you have to worry about coil bind. You have to have something between the spring and an aluminum head to keep the spring from digging into the head.

How thick it is could be that’s just what the factory used or someone shimmed them up for some added closed pressure.

Reactions: 1 users
Typically shims on new springs are to get the installed height correct. On older springs they can be used to get more closed pressure but then you have to worry about coil bind. You have to have something between the spring and an aluminum head to keep the spring from digging into the head.

How thick it is could be that’s just what the factory used or someone shimmed them up for some added closed pressure.
Everyone one of these valves is mushroomed around the top keeper notch

So everyone of these valves are mushroomed enough so that I can’t remove them, including exhaust.

I can 1000 grit wet sand them with oil so they can be removed. Is that the right thing? Is this common?

Another option is to cut them all out and buy new valves. Don’t know what they cost, but what I DONT want to do is do all this work and have to redo it because the keeper notch and keepers fail during operation.
DF03B4F4-5555-4231-B486-3844B3BCCD89.jpeg

Typically the mushrooming is from floating the valves and the valve tips not being hardened. Once they do this they will continue to do this so its time for new valves. To get them out you can grind the mushroom part down and slide them out. Don't get hung up on high dollar valves for these heads but you should consider SS for the exhaust side.

After looking at the pictures of those valves I would not use them. That is just me as i am cautious after loosing a motor to a dropped valve. Maybe call this guy and see if he has some good replacement valves as they seem very fair on the price.

Typically the mushrooming is from floating the valves and the valve tips not being hardened. Once they do this they will continue to do this so its time for new valves. To get them out you can grind the mushroom part down and slide them out. Don't get hung up on high dollar valves for these heads but you should consider SS for the exhaust side.

After looking at the pictures of those valves I would not use them. That is just me as i am cautious after loosing a motor to a dropped valve. Maybe call this guy and see if he has some good replacement valves as they seem very fair on the price.

Ok. So the thought is new valves?

I think I’ll be able to get out the exhaust valves. I’ll try to get through the ones I can.