The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

• Sponsors (?)

MSD Catatonic EFI sold last night and was shipped this morning. Took an $1800 bath on the thing, but it's gone and I can pay my half of the rent this month (it's been that slow at the shop), so I'm happy. You'd think with names and faces being part of Facebook you'd have fewer flakes and weirdos through Marketplace than you do through Craigslist, but that's absolutely not the case.

That said, I was able to sell it to a guy in California via a painless transaction after dealing with a half dozen idiots.

Reactions: 3 users
Drove the ol' rustbucket again yesterday, first time driving it with the hood scoop. That foam filter is starting to bother me... it and the scoop are all that changed between the last two drives, and the carburetor seems really unhappy about it. Considering that the air cleaner was already sticking up through the hood last time, I'm fairly sure the filter is to blame.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
IMG_20220222_044203735.jpg
IMG_20220222_044215482.jpg
IMG_20220222_044209845.jpg

"What does that adorable plastic puppy have to do with ElSuperPinto?" you ask yourself, confused.

Well, lemme explain.

I bought a 3D printer last week, and finally had time to set it up. That was my first print last night. No, you can't have it, I already gave it to my girlfriend.

Yes, I know, you're still wondering what this has to do with everyone's favorite rusty old Mustang II.

Well, it doesn't just print adorable little puppy dogs. It can print parts.

That said, my first attempt at a part print (seat back knobs) didn't go well this morning, I think I need to play with the 3D model and give it more support structure. In the meantime I'm printing a Scooby Doo keychain for the girlfriend.

• Surprised
Reactions: 4 users

That is what I'm printing at this very moment (went home on my lunch break and started a new print). We'll see how they turn out with support structure and with the print inverted compared to what happened this morning. If they look good when done, they could be on the II's seats tomorrow.

When I get home tonight, I'm going to print one of these in PETG (which has an extrusion temperature of 250 degrees Celsius) to put on the dash after the 4.6 swap is done.

IMG_20220222_191142080.jpg

Upon completion, the knob looks fantastic, but it's too big. I'll be measuring the stalk sticking out of the seat to scale this sucker down in cura. Anyone need one for their S197?

Reactions: 4 users
Can it be life size?
Come on please, dont wanna hear none of that my printer is too small
Just scale it up and these 12 pieces make the hood, ect.

Ordered a Chinese aluminum bolt-in radiator for the ol' girl today. Not much has been getting done to the II other than a good flogging down the frontage road and back about once a week, as business has picked back up at the BMW dealership.

IMG_20220223_073247750.jpg

It ain't all work though, me and the 3D printer have been busy.

IMG_20220303_124632252.jpg

By the way, that little 1/4 drive ratchet with the orange and black handle? Solid "buy" rating from me. I'd seen the new GearWrench 90-tooth ratchets talked up a great deal on some tool forums I'm on, and snagged that one at Home Depot to give it a try. That $29 ratchet is seeing more use than the $100+ SnapOn 1/4 drives it shares the drawer with, because it's that good.

• Useful
Pulling the front cradle, lucky its not a mustang you would have to detail it in addition to fixing it.
Not just the cradle and engine, there's a transmission, transfer case, and crossmember behind it, and I ain't detailing :poo: unless I get paid for it.

No work on the II so far this week, but the new radiator showed up.

I put the 4Runner in the air to do it's 30k maintenance (fluid in both diffs, the transfer case, the transmission, and an oil change) and found out the ol' warrior is finally showing some signs of mortality (right front strut is leaking and left front outer CV boot is torn). Ordered a remanufactured axle (and a boot kit so I can rebuild the old axle as a "trail spare" for overlanding/adventuring, and will pick out new shocks and struts after a bit of research. 153,000+ miles and finally showing a little wear somewhere... what a machine!