The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

• Sponsors (?)

Hot Rod Lincoln II stuff happened this weekend.

No really, it did.

I had been trying to locate an engine for the girlfriend's Avalon for the past week, calling every yard that showed to have one from Austin to Denton (200+ miles of Interstate 35) and not one of them had the engine advertised on car-part.com , not a single one. My local Wrench-A-Part on the other hand, showed to have three Avalons and two Camrys of the right vintage and engine size. So I resign myself to pulling an engine at the yard this weekend. Ran into some difficulties on Saturday, but was able to finish the job today.

While I was there... I went looking for... and found...

The front-sump oil pan and pickup tube from a Continental for the 4v swap!

Right now there's a Toyota V6 in the back of the 4Runner along with a Lincoln oil pan waiting on me to get to work tomorrow. I'll provide pics then, as I'm tired and sore from wrenching seven days straight right now and about to take a nap.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
IMG_20220314_114200940.jpg
IMG_20220314_114244698.jpg
IMG_20220314_114337699.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
With 2 engines in that SUV its gonna be fast...
You joke, but the 2005 V8 4WD 4Runner (which was before the VVT was added to the engine, resulting in a noticeable power bump) ran the 1/4 mile in 15.5 in a magazine test. It's not really slow to begin with.

Reactions: 1 user
In comparison my first II back in 1987 ran the 1/4 in 16.4 on its best day in stock form. It was an automatic and had 100,000 miles on the block with a fresh valve job and newly rebuilt C4. The stock exhaust and cat at that time made a whooshing sound vs any kind of roar. More like a long wheeze. I had 225/60/13 on the rear and they just would not break loose unless wet or hard cornering. It was quick stop light to stop light but fell on its face near 3000 rpm.

15.5 on a 5,000 lb suv is certainly respectable.

It's the full-time 4WD system that makes it happen. There is zero wheelspin, even on an unprepared surface, when stabbing the go-pedal from a dead stop. All four tires just bite the asphalt and you leap forward. Decent weight distribution, really low gearing in the differentials, and good low-end torque for the displacement (4.7L/285cid) are just icing on the cake.

Reactions: 1 users
In comparison my first II back in 1987 ran the 1/4 in 16.4 on its best day in stock form. It was an automatic and had 100,000 miles on the block with a fresh valve job and newly rebuilt C4. The stock exhaust and cat at that time made a whooshing sound vs any kind of roar. More like a long wheeze. I had 225/60/13 on the rear and they just would not break loose unless wet or hard cornering. It was quick stop light to stop light but fell on its face near 3000 rpm.

My 78 Cobra II would break the tires loose if I revved to 4 grand and dropped the clutch. Got a little bark then. Lol. My old 96 GT only ran 15's stock. Got it to 14.7 with an intake swap and gears. Heck my 13 MKS Ecoboost runs 14's stock. Amazing how far we've come.

• Agree
I have hit a crossroads with ESP/HRL2...

I finally have all of the pieces to make the 4.6 a possibility, sans turbo (that'll be awhile), but I'm really liking the 308's new (old) attitude with the carburetor, and it could come out for an oil pan gasket, crank seals, and rattlecan-refresh and be back in the next day.

At the same time, I've interviewed for a position with another company that would net me a 50% pay increase, but I would no longer have a shop to work in.

I'm thinking that I'm going to assemble the 4.6, bag it, and store it in my storage unit with the TR3650 for now, and keep the II in a running/driving state so that it can stay either at the apartment with me or return to my parents' driveway. My lease on the apartment will be up in November, at which point I'll be looking for a house (4Runner and other debts should be paid off by then), and then I can revisit the Lincoln 4v swap.

• Winner
  • Ah yes, I see.  I see.
Reactions: 4 users
IMG_20220406_210300807.jpg

Alright boys, engine swap is done, time to close the thread!

(I kid.)

Got the junkyard engine into the girlfriend's Avalon and hooked it up enough to start it and verify it didn't knock/smoke/rattle before the 40-day warranty was up. There's still some coolant hoses to hook up, a timing belt to replace, and some vacuum hoses to sort out (as well as connecting the A/C and charging it), but it runs without a rod knock for the first time in a year.

• Hell Yeah!
  • Useful
Reactions: 5 users
I have hit a crossroads with ESP/HRL2...

I finally have all of the pieces to make the 4.6 a possibility, sans turbo (that'll be awhile), but I'm really liking the 308's new (old) attitude with the carburetor, and it could come out for an oil pan gasket, crank seals, and rattlecan-refresh and be back in the next day.

At the same time, I've interviewed for a position with another company that would net me a 50% pay increase, but I would no longer have a shop to work in.

I'm thinking that I'm going to assemble the 4.6, bag it, and store it in my storage unit with the TR3650 for now, and keep the II in a running/driving state so that it can stay either at the apartment with me or return to my parents' driveway. My lease on the apartment will be up in November, at which point I'll be looking for a house (4Runner and other debts should be paid off by then), and then I can revisit the Lincoln 4v swap.
Whelp, didn't get the other job, back to slaving away on Badly Made Wagons for awhile.

• Sad
  • Wow
So, you are wondering why superpinto overheats?
Someone stole your radiator!! :doh:
ElSuperPinto has never overheated.

Now how can that be cool?! :jester:
It's in an air-conditioned shop.

I think it is the stolen radiator and the mixture of poo and water he is using as coolant...
I'll have you know that it's a mixture of iron oxide, citric acid, water, and some remnants of ethylene glycol in that drain pan, I've never shat in my cooling system or the pan.