Electrical Mustang factory tach calibration

Here is the info borrowed from 89ragtopgt at corral.net. All credit goes to that person...

Apparently you can use tone generation software that you can download onto your PC or laptop. Install the software and use a 1/8" plug on your sound output connected to wires that are connected to the
signal input on the back of the tach.

I have downloaded the tone generator software and setup the table of frequencies used to calibrate the tach. The next step is to use a frequency counter to see how accurate the tone frequencies genterated by the computer are.

I will keep y'all posted as to my progress...

• Sponsors (?)

Progress Update:

I have to bust the bubble of those who planned to do calibrating their tach on the cheap. Using the downloaded NCH (NCH Corporation) software and the sound card in your PC or laptop does not work.

Here’s why:
The tach input expects a square ware with a minimum of 9 volts peak to peak. The tach doesn’t stabilize until the voltage gets up to 10 volts peak to peak or higher.

The sound card output was less than 1 volt peak to peak at maximum volume. I hooked in the speaker amplifier and it didn’t do much better. The waveform generated by the sound card was full of distortion and noise. Not enough output voltage to do the job, and terrible signal quality on top of that. The sound card output voltage is a computer industry standard, so looking for a different computer or sound card isn’t likely to give any better results.

I watched the output of the sound card and amplifier on a Tektronix 5400 series oscilloscope to verify the voltage and waveform. The Tektronix scope is old, but very reliable and stable. The calibration is reasonably close, and not a cause for concern in this case.

In case some of you are thinking that I have a junky old PC, and that’s why it didn’t work, guess again. I am using an IBM E205 Eserver, 2.8 GH Pentium 4, 2 GB memory, and WinXP Pro. It may be old but it is very good equipment.

For those of you who have more questions, PM or email me through Stangnet.

I will be doing a full scale bench test using the Tektronix 5400 series oscilloscope, Hickok function generator and Hickok frequency counter. That will insure the accuracy of the results and quality of the finished effort.

I was actually surprised to find that mine is within 100 RPM or so, even at 5500 RPM. I know some people's can be damn near 1K off at high RPM.

This would be mine. I used to have an autometer and never looked at the stocker. Now I got rid of the autometer, and the shift light. It was on the dyno I noticed when I told him to run it to 6000, and the tach went just under 7000. Now at the track 6400-6500 on the stocker seems to be where I shift (very rarely do I ever actually look down at the tach, I prefer driving by feel).

I have the test equipment to check the factory tach: signal generator, frequency counter & oscilloscope. I spent some time testing a spare stock 89 tach so I could see how the process worked. This one only had 1 adjustment potentiometer: I had heard rumors of later model factory tachs having two adjustment potentiometers.

I will tell you that without modification to the circuity, you can get the factory tach to accurately read some part of the range as marked on the dial. I will also tell you that while it may be correct at that narrow band of 500- 1000 RPM, it will be off by 50-400 RPM above and below that narrow band. The further you get away from the "sweet spot", the greater the error. I haven't found a circuit diagram of the tach, so I don't know if it is possible to change some of the components to get greater accuracy.

Progress Update:

I have to bust the bubble of those who planned to do calibrating their tach on the cheap. Using the downloaded NCH (NCH Corporation) software and the sound card in your PC or laptop does not work.

Here’s why:
The tach input expects a square ware with a minimum of 9 volts peak to peak. The tach doesn’t stabilize until the voltage gets up to 10 volts peak to peak or higher.

The sound card output was less than 1 volt peak to peak at maximum volume. I hooked in the speaker amplifier and it didn’t do much better. The waveform generated by the sound card was full of distortion and noise. Not enough output voltage to do the job, and terrible signal quality on top of that. The sound card output voltage is a computer industry standard, so looking for a different computer or sound card isn’t likely to give any better results.

I watched the output of the sound card and amplifier on a Tektronix 5400 series oscilloscope to verify the voltage and waveform. The Tektronix scope is old, but very reliable and stable. The calibration is reasonably close, and not a cause for concern in this case.

In case some of you are thinking that I have a junky old PC, and that’s why it didn’t work, guess again. I am using an IBM E205 Eserver, 2.8 GH Pentium 4, 2 GB memory, and WinXP Pro. It may be old but it is very good equipment.

For those of you who have more questions, PM or email me through Stangnet.

I will be doing a full scale bench test using the Tektronix 5400 series oscilloscope, Hickok function generator and Hickok frequency counter. That will insure the accuracy of the results and quality of the finished effort.
Thank you for confirming this. Even the best Soundblaster cards I used needed an external amp for much volume, and recording from the analog outputs was often noisy. An external MIDI/synth box or synthesizer keyboard could do a pure square wave with less electrical noise, but it would still need amplified. I’m not likely to hook my guitar or keyboard amp into my car.

For a equipment less check, what RPM does the stock rev limiter activate? I generally avoid using that EEC-IV function, but ...

Well it works. My little $13 ebay frequency generator did the trick.

set it for 5k rpm and was slightly under.
6D8DFB54-DCCF-4190-B36D-43FC68D997BC.jpeg

slight tweak of the pot and spot on
04F98F4E-C72D-4B6D-BC3C-8BD8D451DF73.jpeg

it’s linked earlier, but here are the values.
D15C5622-2130-48C7-8FC6-F035A717F14D.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
BTW,

The tachs up to early 1989 only had one pot of adjustment. The late 89 and later tachs feature two pots. One for low range, and another for high range.

Here's an example I did of 4 factory tachs I had on hand.

Three are untouched from Factory, but the orange plot is one tach (with single pot) that I played around with and made some adjustments. As you can see I've gotten it better than the three untouched units.
1611683326281.png

And here's the difference in 1989 tachs. One is early, and one is late. You can see the single pot on the far side of the early tach, while there are two pots on the later model. I believe the outer pot adjusts the high end of the range, and the inner pot adjusts the low end. They affect each other, so my technique was to adjust the high end, and then go to the low end and tweak. Make small adjustments.
F942DA85-A1E6-417E-81EA-F3ED92DDEB75.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user