Sorry for reposting this question regarding rear ends, but I have gone cross eyed with information!

Isaacsdad

Apr 3, 2019
Maine
Hi All, I am the proud owner of a 1991 2.3 lx. Before I bought the car my flawed research made me thing the car had lsd. When I test drove the car it handled amazingly in mud and dirt. I plan on rally crossing the car.
I have asked questions before about this car, but I cannot keep my info straight.
Question: What rear ends with lsd or the ability to put in some type of posi that will not require major mods to the car? I want to keep the drive shaft, etc. I have all summer to look for a donor car, etc. My head is spinning with posts regarding ranger rear end swaps, etc.
Let me know?
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Any fox body 8.8 from a 87-93 GT will bolt right in, reuse your brakes if desired, and they came with LSD. If you want to keep the 7.5 rear that's already in it, you can easily swap in a LSD unit from a 4x4 Ranger or Bronco II but make sure you look at the tags; some of the Rangers had 8.8's. Bronco II's were all 7.5 as I recall. Thunderbird turbo's (pre 1987) were 7.5 and likely LSD's. Cougar turbo's same. Some Mustangs had them too but they were pretty rare. Look for the clutch type, NOT the cone-style. The cone-style is weaker and parts are NLA. BUT....be warned....when you find a 7.5 LSD, plan on rebuilding it, and the clutch & shim kit costs as much as an entire brand new 8.8 LSD that is already assembled. I just did mine. Had I known the 7.7 clutch kit was as expensive as it is, I'd have looked for an 8.8 and swapped the entire rear end.

I bought a 7.5 LSD unit (carrier assembly) from the JY, out of a late 80's bronco II, for $18. Then $170 for the clutch/shim kit. But it works great, it's nice & tight, but again I wish I'd have just put an 8.8 in it from the get-go, maybe one out of a 87-88 Thunderbird with rear discs.

ok, thanks for this info. I am going to look at a gt convertible, the rims are awesome and it already has the five lug swap. I just have to get rid of at least one car before or my wife will have me sleeping in the garage....