• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Starter Problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kerrysc
  • Start date Start date Dec 16, 2017
K

Kerrysc

New Member
Dec 16, 2017
2
0
1
Dec 16, 2017
#1
  • Dec 16, 2017
  • #1
So I have a 2004 Mustang gt stock. I had a bad wheel bearing so I replaced it as well as the clutch while I was there. Once everything was buttoned up I connected the battery and the engine started to turn over without the key in the ignition. I figured the 2 wires on the starter were touching so I quickly moved one and put the battery back and it was fine. I pushed it out and doesn’t turn over. I couldn’t leave it there so I dropped the clutch to get it started to get back home. Now my buddy and I were under it a couple days ago we tried moving the wires around on the starter. The wires are on the right spot I have a picture before we took it off. But it still won’t turn on I got a new battery so I’m not sure what’s going on any help please.

#1
 

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
5,892
514
204
Houston Texas
Dec 16, 2017
#2
  • Dec 16, 2017
  • #2
First. Check fuse F1.3 and F2.6.

Next. Confirm there is +12 volts into and out of fuse F2.6 with the key in the "crank/start" position. Use a KNOWN good ground.

Then. Listen to the starter relay in the battery junction box to hear if it "clicks" when the key is turned to run.

What to do next depends what the results of the tests are.

1999-2004 MY fuse panel schedule:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...r-swap-wont-fire-please-help.html#post2669271
 
Last edited: Dec 16, 2017

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,051
10,674
213
polk county florida
Dec 16, 2017
#3
  • Dec 16, 2017
  • #3
I moved you original thread to the tech section
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
2004 v8 convertible
  • Mikeycrownvicluver
  • Feb 12, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
11
Views
470
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Feb 15, 2026
Mikeycrownvicluver
M
D
Mustang not starting
  • Dawry Ramos
  • Sep 12, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 Specific Tech
Replies
10
Views
212
2015 - 2023 Specific Tech Today at 9:20 AM
Dawry Ramos
D
B
Resolved Crank no start after engine swap
  • biggrim
  • Sep 12, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
63
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 12, 2026
biggrim
B
M
85 mustang 5.0 cranking in run position
  • Mamaclean
  • May 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
194
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 1, 2026
General karthief
Alternator not charging
  • SchwarzStock
  • Jul 6, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
169
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 19, 2026
SchwarzStock
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?