Story Of The 1969 Mustang And Scarebird Brakes...

fr33dumb

Dec 5, 2017
Ok so i'm gonna give you the story behind scarebird brakes and my experience, hopefully i can take this a little further eventually.

I ride a 1969 mustang and i upgraded the rear end to a 1996 Ford explorer 3.73 posi 8.8 diff with brand new rear discs, i wanted to upgrade the fronts to disc brakes as well so i stumbled across scarebirds brakes and figured, hell, this is a great deal. Well you get what you pay for.

I ordered in the PNY brackets (15" or bigger) rims, and the MUX rotors off the website, keeping everything together.

It came into canada, and i paid shipping and duties (but still a great deal).

So i started to fit everything up, scarebird sent me a parts list and instruction manual for putting it all together, i followed their parts list and got everything i needed from rockauto.com. As i was installing the brackets, they fit fine no problems, the stock T-Bolts are a little awkward on the brackets but you can arrange the T to work around the hub.

I got the hub machined by the same fella who rebuilt my engine, cost me 20 bucks, great deal i thought score!

As i lined everything up i noticed the rotor won't fit into the caliper, very strange. It was off by about an inch so i thought well hell, maybe i can squeeze it in there, negative no luck at all it doesn't fit properly.

Now this is the part of the story that gets fun...

I emailed tech support from scarebird and told them hey it's not lining up, so they sent me a video to watch and i did, the rotor the guy was using in the video was much deeper then the rotor they had sent me. So i sent a couple pictures and the guys tells me, you have the wrong rotors you need the PNY rotors to fit with the PNY bracket, i had the MUX rotors for the MUX bracket (14" or smaller rims). Well damn, this is gonna set me back a couple weeks.

So i call the guys at scarebirds, because i feel you can get alot more accomplished with a simple call, well the fella tells me "i hate talking on the phone about this stuff" and i'm thinking oh great how many problems have you had?

Well let me ship these rotors back to ya and you can get me the right PNY rotors so i can finish this job.... well we don't actually have the PNY rotors the guy tells me. Turns out all there is on their website is the MUX rotors, which is why i ordered them THEY WERE THE ONLY ROTORS ON THE WEBSITE.

I ask him well where can i get these elusive rotors? he tells me "you can find them on rockauto.com that's where we get them from" (sigh) guess i'm making another order... in the meantime can i ship these back to you so i can get my money back to spend on the other rotors. he says "Yeah but you'll have to pay for shipping and duties so it's prolly not worth it" well what the F am i gonna do with these rotors then?

So he tells me it's my fault for ordering the rotors and brackets together, even though on the parts list it doesn't say which rotors to use, and neither on the website. I'm thinking SCAM by a long shot.

Now where i am in this process is i've shipped the rotors back to Alburqueque NM, to their UPS store and i'm waiting for their shop to pick it up to refund me my money, but i have a strange strange feeling i won't see my money back from these rotors (just a suspicion)

I'll update this later to let you know if i got this refund, but buyer beware 1.5/10 stars from me on scarebirds brakes.

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, I bought Scarebird's brackets, ordered all my stuff from Rock Auto and with the exception of their recommended brake lines, it fell right into place. Not only that, but when I lost the instruction sheet with all the part numbers on it, I emailed them and had one emailed to me the same day. The car stops better than it ever could with drums and didn't break the bank. To go onto a website and register (this is your only post) for the sole purpose of trashing a company that's trying to help you (from what I see) doesn't say a whole lot to me about you.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, I bought Scarebird's brackets, ordered all my stuff from Rock Auto and with the exception of their recommended brake lines, it fell right into place. Not only that, but when I lost the instruction sheet with all the part numbers on it, I emailed them and had one emailed to me the same day. The car stops better than it ever could with drums and didn't break the bank. To go onto a website and register (this is your only post) for the sole purpose of trashing a company that's trying to help you (from what I see) doesn't say a whole lot to me about you.

well said zoo

I can't say a bad thing about the Scarebird products because I've never used them. I can however comment on the guy. In my experience, he is a rather unpleasant individual. When I younger I asked a question in a thread on this forum because I was confused about something and wanted clarification. Instead of explaining anything he was a right ass and basically told me to shut up if I didn't know what I was talking about. Well that was why I posted in the first place, I was asking for clarification. How do you understand someone if they won't explain when you ask for clarification? Basically, I'm 100% unsurprised by your phone interaction with the guy.

Now as to the situation you are in, I'm sympathetic because I've ordered the wrong stuff before and it is never fun. Unfortunately, it was your mistake at the end of the day as you didn't validate your bill of materials before ordering.

That being said, I don't think the guy is trying to scam you and if you send the parts back with the seller's approval I'm sure he will refund your cash.

zookeeper, the guy is clearly frustrated with his situation. If you reread his post, he is concerned that he got screwed by the seller and won't get his money back on returned product. He is also feels misled by the seller's website. Problems like these occur every day in business and what separates a bad/ok/good sellers from a great seller is how they support their customer no matter who's mistake it was.

Reactions: 1 user