Sum ting wong here

This is correct... Says this in the instructions I received with it......

You are going to fall in love with that differential. It completely changes the car. It's the best money I have ever spent on my Mustang hands down. Now get thine ass down to O'Reilly's and enjoy that the only cost savings part of buying a stupid ass expensive differential is that you can buy the cheapest gear oil on the shelf.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
This is correct... Says this in the instructions I received with it......
Eaton will say not to use synthetic, because they don’t know if it will hinder performance, but most all will indeed work. They tend to overcomplicate things.

I can tell you on my locker, I run redline shockproof and it works every bit the same as it did with mineral based oil, zero difference at all. Unless you’re running a clutch style differential then that’s always what I recommend.

So you are saying you spent way more money on oil, and it didn't "hinder" performance as the pro. What was the upside to this story?

Kurt

You sure are loosing some performance using the thicker conventional oil
Surprised they would say that in their nomenclature

First off 80W-90 is not that thick. Also, if using conventional oil is better for the friction requirements, then that's a huge gain in performance. I don't pretend to know better than the engineers who design this stuff, and the instructions clearly state to use a particular oil.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
but aint it purty......
Does synthetic gear oil stink like the standard stuff, especially after use? I might use Royal Purple if it was grape scented. And for CT and ear worm reasons, I'm not going to comment on a nice looking, big rear end. Sir Mix A Lot had a hit about that.

Last edited:
Yeah,conventional gear oil is in a league all it's own in the smell and stain departments. The oder can repel wildlife.

Now a 9" is not THAT BIG...... LOL

Reactions: 1 user

Yes, stinks just as bad if not worse. If you get it in your hair, you are sleeping alone for 2 weeks.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
OK, so it got delivered on Sat after the Hurricane... Came to around $6.70 a qt. B4 tax....
I opened the box and the gear oil smell came out... LOL... In todays world of syn oils I hadn't smelled that smell in a long time...LOL...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users