Engine Swap to a mechanical oil pressure gauge (1993, 5.0)

Don Krasniak

Jan 3, 2018
I have a '93 (as best I can tell) 5.0 engine and computer which I have installed in my '66 Mustang. Can I disconnect the electronic oil pressure sender completely and replace it with a flexible stainless braided line for my mechanical gauge and leave it disconnected or is there a required signal for the PCM/EEC from that old oil pressure line such that it needs to remain connected and I have to use a T-fitting to connect both? I do not have any of the old gauge cluster or gauges in use, just all new aftermarket gauges.

• Sponsors (?)

I think the sender on the 93 is only for the gauge. Should be no issues just switching over to mechanical. I recommend a copper line instead of the cheap plastic. Only concern with the copper line is it will conduct electricity so keep it clear of any + charged wires to prevent problems with short circuits.

He suggested that he is going to use the braided line. I agree with that, assuming it's the premade version. No more compression fittings to deal with.
Get the longer one, you would be surprised how much gets lost in the routing. I think it's like $45 at jegs.
I'll never use the copper again, as for the plastic/nylon, that stuff should be illegal.

Yeah, I thought so. I didn't see it unlike the temp sender which does go to the EEC/ECU in the wiring diagram. BTW, it is a single wire. While waiting for your responses, I did order a t-fitting but I will probably cancel that order. And I did order the 72" premade hose after figuring I want to be able to extract the gauge cluster without needing to unscrew the line first. Thanks for all the feedback.