T-top 86 SVO?

aete2

Founding Member
Nov 23, 2001
I was reading a Mustang mag the other day there was a little snipit of a 86 SVO that said it had t-tops? Is that true? I have never seen or heard of any SVO that came with t-tops. Any body know!

thx guys

Thats what i think too, but there it is in the May 2006 Mustang monthly, its got a typo saying 96 buts its a 86 with a pic of the car, unless its a fake and there info is wrong. Like i said i've never heard of that before and i've driven many SVO's

There were/are some SVOs that have T-Tops. There are very few, but the ones that exist were most likely done by Cars & Concepts near Dearborn. Rumor has it that the ones done were for Ford Execs. This was not an option available to the general public. It is possible though that a dealer may have sent out one or two to have done in order to make the car more appealing to potential buyers as some of the SVOs sat on the dealer's lot for quite some time. Check out SVOCA.com as this topic has been discussed and there are a couple of T-Top SVO owners.

It is also possible that the aftermarket t-top kit was installed in these cars.

My 79 Capri has the C&C t-top kit that was installed in 1981, by a shop in New Orleans. That kit could be installed into any Mustang or Capri.

rd said:
It is also possible that the aftermarket t-top kit was installed in these cars.

My 79 Capri has the C&C t-top kit that was installed in 1981, by a shop in New Orleans. That kit could be installed into any Mustang or Capri.

No Mustang Monthy said factory install on this car, thats why im asking, this must be a super rare thing, wow !

thanks for the info guys.

jzleach1 said:
Not factory installed....they did not roll down the Ford Assembly Line that way.....All T-Tops and Verts (at that time) were farmed outside of Ford's plant.....factory installed is a little misleading.

No i understand that... but if you really get down to it they are factory installed thats just how Ford did it at the time. Just not in house.

I think the factory install and the orginal aftermarket kit used exactly the same parts, by Cars and Concepts. Just the location of the install varied.

Its kind of extensive, you take a complete section out of the roof to install the top framing. The doors get the window frames cut off, and larger glass installed. The weatherstrip for the doors above the window is different, and the rearview mirror trim gets changed.

You could pull all of it from a junk and put it on another car.

I think this is where the doors were developed that ended up on convertibles also.