Drivetrain T5 coming out of gear even after rebuild

G00nies

Nov 7, 2014
SO i recently removed the T5 trans to install the clutch cable and replace the clutch release bearing and trans mount as well. WE did nothing to the internals of the transmission.
after everything is re-installed, second gear keeps popping out?
I had the internals rebuilt 3 years ago with the Ford racing synchronizer gear kit (about 10,000 miles ago).
I do not abuse this car, either. This only became an issue AFTER I re-installed the transmission and feel that something might no be aligned correctly?
Or perhaps a shift bushing in the shifter? Could a low trans fluid condition cause this?
Need some advice on where to start.

i WILL SAY THAT WHEN i WENT TO REBOLT THE TRANSMISSION, I had to cheat it about an inch to the side b/c it didnt want to bolt up exactly how it came out?(also had to reposition the dual exhaust as a result) could this be the issue? I'm gonna loosen up some engine mounts and examine the drivetrain alignment later this week.

Steeda Tri-ax shifter

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Update: Lifted it up and loosened the engine mount bolts, the drivetrain immediately unbound itself and is now in proper alignment.
Checked the shifter stops and no issues there.
Verified that the shift boot is not impeding second gear shifting.
Checked the trans fluid and no metal found. Used a scope and noticed some minor abrasions to the synchros (from recently popping out of gear).
Refilled with ATF and 75w90 syn gear oil and test drove. It has not come out of gear yet on test drives since these changes, but I highly suspect that the shift forks require replacement and that this issue will return.:(

Update: Lifted it up and loosened the engine mount bolts, the drivetrain immediately unbound itself and is now in proper alignment.
Checked the shifter stops and no issues there.
Verified that the shift boot is not impeding second gear shifting.
Checked the trans fluid and no metal found. Used a scope and noticed some minor abrasions to the synchros (from recently popping out of gear).
Refilled with ATF and 75w90 syn gear oil and test drove. It has not come out of gear yet on test drives since these changes, but I highly suspect that the shift forks require replacement and that this issue will return.:(

Worn shift forks might make it difficult to get [into] gear but it would not make it pop out of gear.

For now at least, I'm going with the theory that relieving the stresses between those two components was causing your issue. T5s are notorious for having less than beefy cases. They tend to flex just before they start spitting internal parts out.

How did the engagement teeth on the gears look where it contacts the synchro slider? If these get mashed up pretty good they tend to cause the trans to pop out of gear. These aren't part of a typical rebuild

How did the engagement teeth on the gears look where it contacts the synchro slider? If these get mashed up pretty good they tend to cause the trans to pop out of gear. These aren't part of a typical rebuild
I’ll have to scope it tomorrow when I get back to the shop. I’m gonna drain out the gear oil and run straight ATF and see if there is a difference. I’ll get pics from the scope can if I can and post them.

To answer your question , I don’t know. I stopped looking once I saw scarred metal on the Synchronizer teeth

To answer your question , I don’t know. I stopped looking once I saw scarred metal on the Synchronizer teeth

If they are really mashed up then it could cause the trans to pop out. In new form, they have a bevel that keeps them engaged under load.

Could also be bent shift for or something else preventing full engagement of that synchro into 2nd gear.

Well, second gear seemed to stay in for the first few laps home and back today, but eventually popped out right before I hit the parking lot.
I'm going to have to acknowledge the fact that I'll prolly have to R&I and see how bad the gears as well as Forks have become:(
I've eliminated all other external possibilities and after scoping the gears and seeing gear scoring...its' a safe bet that the forks have gone bad.
I had not replaced these when I last rebuilt the gears and bearings.
#mistake

Question:
Being a used car and no trans tag...is there a way to confirm my trans type?
WC or NWC externally?

Yes there is. but pretty much every T5 after 1985 is a world-class unit.

But there is a way if you google search t5 world class vs non world class. I'd do it but on my way to a meeting in 2 min.