Progress Thread The "grátis" 1966 Coupe - final sheet metal repairs

• Sponsors (?)

Just got through reading this tread. Awesome work so far!

About 13 years ago my dad and I started stripping down our 65 convertible. It was one of those classic deals where one thing led to another and he wanted to tear it down further and further to the point where it is now in a thousand pieces. Luckily for us the car didn't really have much rust in it. I media blasted the front inner fenders, firewall, and the underside of the car from the front to the back. My dad owns a tool and die shop. We have a media blast cabinet that is used to clean up parts. To keep from damaging fragile pieces he uses glass bead media instead of sand. It does a good job of cleaning things up but doesn't seem to get hot like sand does. Have you guys got any experience using glass media?

When I blasted the car I did it out side on a concrete slab with a tarp under the car. I would blast until my pot ran out. Then I would push the car off the tarp and use the tart to quickly get the media in a pill. The next step was to use a dust pan to scoop it up and poor it through a sieve into the media pot. This worked great for us. I did loose media, but not a lot. This was also the engine bay and bottom of the car. We didn't want to warp things up, but you also wont see it that often anyway. That was the thought process. I would not recommend using this method on things like the hood or door skins.

We used Eastman's Chassis Black to paint everything. The car has been sitting indoors like this for years now. It did spend a little bit of time outside on the concrete. I was under it working on the breaks about a year ago, and found two things. A) the underside of the car has surface rust on it. B) I have a cancer spot that got missed.

Anyway, I really just wanted to throw in the glass bead media option. I'll start a build thread on the other car after I get in moved to my house. It has officially been handed down to me. YEA Free car! kinda...

Keep up the great work!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got through reading this tread. Awesome work so far!

About 13 years ago my dad and I started stripping down our 65 convertible. It was one of those classic deals where one thing led to another and he wanted to tear it down further and further to the point where it is now in a thousand pieces. Luckily for us the car didn't really have much rust in it. I media blasted the front inner fenders, firewall, and the underside of the car from the front to the back. My dad owns a tool and die shop. We have a media blast cabinet that is used to clean up parts. To keep from damaging fragile pieces he uses glass bead media instead of sand. It does a good job of cleaning things up but doesn't seem to get hot like sand does. Have you guys got any experience using glass media?

When I blasted the car I did it out side on a concrete slab with a tarp under the car. I would blast until my pot ran out. Then I would push the car off the tarp and use the tart to quickly get the media in a pill. The next step was to use a dust pan to scoop it up and poor it through a sieve into the media pot. This worked great for us. I did loose media, but not a lot. This was also the engine bay and bottom of the car. We didn't want to warp things up, but you also wont see it that often anyway. That was the thought process. I would not recommend using this method on things like the hood or door skins.

We used Eastman's Chassis Black to paint everything. The car has been sitting indoors like this for years now. It did spend a little bit of time outside on the concrete. I was under it working on the breaks about a year ago, and found two things. A) the underside of the car has surface rust on it. B) I have a cancer spot that got missed.

Anyway, I really just wanted to throw in the glass bead media option. I'll start a build thread on the other car after I get in moved to my house. It has officially been handed down to me. YEA Free car! kinda...

Keep up the great work!
Thanks! I'm considering just waiting and getting a pressurized blaster and doing it myself little by little after I finish replacing the sheet metal that needs it. I have heard of people having success with glass beads rather than sand.

In other news, we're one step closer to new metal.
new parts.png

:spot:
IMG_6860.JPG

IMG_6861.JPG

This is the Scott Drake floor pan. It doesn't come with new seat risers, but it did come with the seat belt mount pre-installed. I'll reuse my original seat risers. Let's see if I can get this thing put in before the end of next week!

Reactions: 1 users
Sheet metal arrived. CJ appears to have sent a drivers side torque box for ‘69-‘70 though it was labeled as ‘67-‘68. Can I use this anyway, or should I send it back?

46E5D7E3-4FCB-4912-A107-A9DBE7025EEE.jpeg

E3DF4331-A696-4B61-A5B6-81D15A54F563.jpeg

@horse sence Need some help. I’m trying to fit this driver’s torque box and it’s not lining up against the rocker. See my question above. They send a ‘69-‘70 torque box with the parking brake cable tube. Can I use this, or do I need to send it back?

35ECB3F7-0A15-4A1A-B7E0-D0BA38172C41.jpeg 61380D47-7F98-46C5-9142-F0437B10A5A2.jpeg 82951FBA-02D5-48E5-8806-2586785C26AD.jpeg AE76A51B-883A-40AD-962D-0F429627355D.jpeg 8FA44D54-D20F-455B-BC71-221067D4B0AD.jpeg

I was able to figure it out. There is, however, a gap at the top of the outer torque box when I put it in place.

My welds are kind of ugly, but functional for the most part. I’m struggling to get the settings right.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg