Progress Thread The "grátis" 1966 Coupe -odds and ends: fenders

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
I was going to shoot a video of my fender repair. I scrapped that idea because the kids wouldn't stop running through the garage.

rDQLIZs.jpg

Got the headlight bucket where it needed to be and welded that in. Then started on the graft.
TrLKK8U.jpg

zHWkpad.jpg

I still have some welding to do. I'll pick it back up tomorrow. I'm also going to need to make a small filler piece because, of course, I cut one side just a tad short. I think this may actually turn out pretty good.
hw8Ho17.jpg

• Sponsors(?)

02 281 GT

10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
Damn ! You are getting good!
There's definitely a difference between my welds now and two years ago!

I had to do this on a fender for a 36 ford truck ,it was like welding on a big metal ball
I'm definitely doing this the hard way. I'm sure most would just get a new fender. This fender fits really well up to the cowl and window post, so I still want to use it. Plus, if I pull this off, the experience will likely pay dividends down the road.

02 281 GT

10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
Trust me, it actually doesn't look nearly as good in person. If this was done by a body shop, I'd refuse to pay them. In any case, I'm just about done with the fender repair. Filler will definitely be needed. I still need to re-weld a section. I've noticed two areas where I didn't get much weld penetration. You can still see the seam where the two pieces meet. I had my welder set two notches above the recommended setting for the thickness. Still, I was only getting penetration into the metal every second or third weld. Every time I have to weld involving old metal, it always behaves like this.

urMtiep.jpg

Reactions: RaggedGT

02 281 GT

10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
@horse sence any tips on getting better weld penetration with original sheet metal? I never seem to have this problem with new metal. I was able to make my hybrid battery apron with relative ease. I'm always having issues with weld penetration on old sheet metal regardless of how clean it is.

horse sence

That $5 hooker turn out to be a guy
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Could be your ground ,i somtimes have problems on conversions because i cant get a good ground ,any tar or dirt or even paint from the back side of a gap weld can cause problems

02 281 GT

10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
The parts I ordered from CJ arrived last week. In spite of its good reviews, the upper stone guard from CJ was a horrible stamping much like the '67-'68 radiator support I purchased from them. I ordered a new Dynacorn part, and once again, the difference is night and day. I'll post some pictures in a day or two. It's too cold in the garage and I'm too lazy right now.

Reactions: RaggedGT

wicked93gs

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
The parts I ordered from CJ arrived last week. In spite of its good reviews, the upper stone guard from CJ was a horrible stamping much like the '67-'68 radiator support I purchased from them. I ordered a new Dynacorn part, and once again, the difference is night and day. I'll post some pictures in a day or two. It's too cold in the garage and I'm too lazy right now.

Its really confusing when ordering from CJ's because a lot of the "CJ classics" line ARE Dynacorn parts...or rather parts from the same suppliers Dynacorn uses(which in fact are the same parts), but not all of them. I can't speak to the stone guard though since I actually have 2 OEM pieces in good shape to choose from there(one from an old '66 I had and one from this one)

02 281 GT

10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
Its really confusing when ordering from CJ's because a lot of the "CJ classics" line ARE Dynacorn parts...or rather parts from the same suppliers Dynacorn uses(which in fact are the same parts), but not all of them. I can't speak to the stone guard though since I actually have 2 OEM pieces in good shape to choose from there(one from an old '66 I had and one from this one)
From my experience, a lot of their CJ Classics line of parts have Dynacorn part numbers. Some parts, like the ‘67-‘68 GT rear valance I ordered, arrived with Dynacorn stickers. Some didn’t have them, but were still quality stampings. Others, like the stone guard, and the first radiator support and ‘67 battery apron I bought, were just terrible stampings. Tons of waves and soft corners. I’ll try to post some pictures this weekend. The difference between the stone guards is pretty stark.