Progress Thread The "grátis" 1966 Coupe - final sheet metal repairs

• Sponsors (?)

With the rebuilding of the shell of the car nearly complete, I'm starting to go through some of the other parts I have to assess what I can and cannot use. I need some advice on the headlight buckets and doors.

The original buckets are likely far beyond saving. Numerous cracks and whole sections missing. I'm going to try to locate a used set locally.
Gs8Onhd.jpg

yZlYIFa.jpg

DFNATuy.jpg

NOMl8nU.jpg

cZ8WDdb.jpg

rd3mTp7.jpg

The doors have are much better. However, there are some dents. Can dents in this pot metal be fixed? Or do I need to try to locate a used set of these as well?
BFSGbLl.jpg

E4WOusj.jpg

wpsXGpk.jpg

f5ddPV6.jpg

@horse sence you mentioned in your '65 fastback conversion thread that you have fiberglass versions of these. Did you ever manage to find the molds? I might be interested in a set if you did and I can't locate a good set locally.

and I can't locate a good set locally.

64-66 Mustangs headlight buckets are famous for braking there.
I've never found a good used set either.
Repros are available now. Next paint job for sure.
Tired of headlight flicker I made a little bracket to help hold it in place.
Its a band-aid, but ok for now.

fullsizeoutput_1926.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
With the rebuilding of the shell of the car nearly complete, I'm starting to go through some of the other parts I have to assess what I can and cannot use. I need some advice on the headlight buckets and doors.

The original buckets are likely far beyond saving. Numerous cracks and whole sections missing. I'm going to try to locate a used set locally.
Gs8Onhd.jpg

yZlYIFa.jpg

DFNATuy.jpg

NOMl8nU.jpg

cZ8WDdb.jpg

rd3mTp7.jpg

The doors have are much better. However, there are some dents. Can dents in this pot metal be fixed? Or do I need to try to locate a used set of these as well?
BFSGbLl.jpg

E4WOusj.jpg

wpsXGpk.jpg

f5ddPV6.jpg

@horse sence you mentioned in your '65 fastback conversion thread that you have fiberglass versions of these. Did you ever manage to find the molds? I might be interested in a set if you did and I can't locate a good set locally.
I dont know what happened to my molds ,i am sure i probably just tucked them away somewhere ,i have a little over 300 molds so they are probably buried some where .
A good set of originals is hard to come by ,they always have cracks or missing pieces . They are available but i haven't tried a set yet . I did try a new set of quarter end caps and they fit pretty well

I dont know what happened to my molds ,i am sure i probably just tucked them away somewhere ,i have a little over 300 molds so they are probably buried some where .
A good set of originals is hard to come by ,they always have cracks or missing pieces . They are available but i haven't tried a set yet . I did try a new set of quarter end caps and they fit pretty well
This guy is selling a set that looks like they may be in good shape. Does $80 sound like a good price?

00G0G_hImAoBEtrzE_1200x900.jpg

The one on the left does have a break in the upper tab ,that tab keeps the head light assembly tight to the fender . I usually run a screw up through the flat area under that tab into the bottom of the fender and it will keep it tight ,i would try to talk him down

• Agree
The one on the left does have a break in the upper tab ,that tab keeps the head light assembly tight to the fender . I usually run a screw up through the flat area under that tab into the bottom of the fender and it will keep it tight ,i would try to talk him down
Thanks. I figured your experienced eyes would see more than mine. He does they're or best offer, so we'll see.

Is there a way to reinforce the fracture prone areas if they're not yet cracked? Panel bonding adhesive? @Davedacarpainter

64-66 Mustangs headlight buckets are famous for braking there.
I've never found a good used set either.
Repros are available now. Next paint job for sure.
Tired of headlight flicker I made a little bracket to help hold it in place.
Its a band-aid, but ok for now.

fullsizeoutput_1926.jpeg
I think the ones from this car are extra broken because of the accident it had obviously been in.

Be wary of the reproductions...they have known fitment issues, at least the headlight doors, not sure about the buckets themselves.
I've seen at least one body guy on YouTube do a video on fitment issues with new buckets. He was also dealing with repro fenders. There's enough bad reviews online that I don't want to mess with repro buckets. It's also why I sought out original fenders.

I've seen at least one body guy on YouTube do a video on fitment issues with new buckets. He was also dealing with repro fenders. There's enough bad reviews online that I don't want to mess with repro buckets. It's also why I sought out original fenders.

Yeah...I have one repro fender and one original...the repro fits like garbage at the cowl area...when the car goes back together I plan to find an original in workable condition.

I paid $70 for them. Couldn't talk him any lower. Still, they're practically mint compared to my originals. @Davedacarpainter @horse sence do you have any recommendations for repairing the broken driver's side tab and maybe reinforcing the passenger side?

yk04bO3.jpg

OqjlAVv.jpg

WLKYswo.jpg

cxPldRF.jpg

HjCifoV.jpg

v7cIaa8.jpg

AMfZwvs.jpg

Also stopped to see a guy with a massive Fox/SN95 parts collection. I picked up a set of SN95 5.0 fuel rails and supply hard lines, a Fox T-5 bell housing, and a Fox distributor. Not sure if I'll eventually use the distributor, but I couldn't pass it up for $10.

3puAd2r.jpg

I think if swapping to a T5 I would prefer the SN95 version...might as well bring the shifter just a little closer while you are at it with the longer bell and input shaft.

Why not try to weld them? Sure they are pot metal, but easy to weld if you have a TIG(lots of different rods available) and still possible with both a MIG and an ARC welder(though you would need a pretty small stick and pretty low heat there)