Progress Thread The "grátis" 1966 Coupe - final sheet metal repairs

The inner portion of the inner rocker does have some damage with a bit of an outward bow. Might it be a good idea to cut some of the outer rocker out just so I can get a hammer in there and get the inner rocker flat again?

• Sponsors (?)

So I need advice. I don't think I can proceed with the floor until I fix this. I straightened out the pinch weld on the bottom of the rocker so I could get a better feel for what state it's in.

The inner rocker is bent inward at the bottom.
5xR6lxj.jpg

The top of the inner rocker is straight.
0XgIHzw.jpg

Here you can see where it is bent inward (not outward as I originally though) on the inside. This is where it is bent the most.
QNDgwSz.jpg

@horse sence Here's where I need the advice. I think it may be possible to remove a section of the outer rocker and get the inner portion flat again. Remove the outer rocker, get the inner flat, and the new outer should help maintain the correct shape? If this is possible, what do I need to brace/support to do this? The rear frame rails aren't yet supported. I need to get a set of taller jack stands for that.

Or would you recommend replacing the entire rocker? If so, what do I need to do to brace the car for that?

Once you cut the outer rocker off you should be able to knock around the inner plate . When you clamp the inner to the new outer it should straighten the inner . I have some braces you could easily copy to brace the front to the rear ,i will get some pics

Last edited:
So I need advice. I don't think I can proceed with the floor until I fix this. I straightened out the pinch weld on the bottom of the rocker so I could get a better feel for what state it's in.

The inner rocker is bent inward at the bottom.
5xR6lxj.jpg

The top of the inner rocker is straight.
0XgIHzw.jpg

Here you can see where it is bent inward (not outward as I originally though) on the inside. This is where it is bent the most.
QNDgwSz.jpg

@horse sence Here's where I need the advice. I think it may be possible to remove a section of the outer rocker and get the inner portion flat again. Remove the outer rocker, get the inner flat, and the new outer should help maintain the correct shape? If this is possible, what do I need to brace/support to do this? The rear frame rails aren't yet supported. I need to get a set of taller jack stands for that.

Or would you recommend replacing the entire rocker? If so, what do I need to do to brace the car for that?
Someone ran that side up on somthing ,all those holes were for beating the rocker out again .if you block that side up well you could remove the whole outer rocker . Problem is ,the rear door post is attached to the rocker so it has to be drilled loose so you will need front to back bracing and side to side bracing . I have done a whole side before ,as long as you take measurements of everything and support it and brace it well it isnt to hard to do

I would only remove the whole outer and leave the inner in place ,that will help keep things in line
That's what I was hoping you'd say. I'd like to do a partial patch like you did on your fastback conversion sticky thread. This way I won't have to mess with the door post(s).

The floor pan is prepped except for needing holes drilled on the front and rear where it meets the firewall and transition pan. Don't mind the weld-thru primer. It's just there for rust prevention since the rocker panel is taking priority.
SghWXWI.jpg

If they are not bad i would leave them . As long as you have the rear rails level and supported you should be able to replace them if needed . I have a whole collection of those top here that i didnt need to replace
The driver's side one is fine. The passenger side is solid, but has a lot of pitting from surface rust. The rear passenger side foot well had the most rust.
DSC_1309.JPG

Floor pan prep is complete.
vOrSMPC.jpg

Also got the car 100% level with the rear frame rails supported. I bought some taller 6 ton jack stands just for the task.
A7lZVip.jpg

T3ATq9n.jpg

I didn't do much today. Other than finishing drilling on the floor pan, I hammer and dollied the rear seat divider area. If you go back and look you'll see that both sides were bent inward. They're nice and flat now. Also fixed some bends in the seat back frame.
lfBfZIX.jpg

MD9hFMW.jpg

I went ahead and put the floor pan in the car to get it out of the garage. The gaps were better this time for some reason. I don't think it'll be too difficult to fit it correctly once I repair the rocker. Thankfully all the holes I drilled for the floor supports and frame rails were all spot on!
w3YlDKi.jpg

vxATI4E.jpg

EmKmPlT.jpg

rdoRZqt.jpg

ljQvezq.jpg

9w4EqhB.jpg

701yZ5J.jpg

Almost starting to look like a car again!
AuavbQu.jpg

Reactions: 2 users