Progress Thread The "grátis" 1966 Coupe - final sheet metal repairs

Today I ground down the welds, cut the excess metal from the trunk drop offs, rust proofed everything. I tell you what, I'm happy with this.

Can't work without the proper tools, am I right, @Davedacarpainter ?
mQawPLH.jpg

I was removing the bottle from the welding cart so I can return it to Airgas this week. It tipped over when I removed the chain and almost slammed into the garage floor. I was able to catch it in time, but the regulator got bumped and the damned flow gauge needle fell off!
TwgVH7j.jpg

Now that's a success.
6f2bAB7.jpg

I also put the doors back on just to get them out of the garage.
tcFZM2O.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice! This car is really coming along now. This will be the last work done to this car until after we move next month. I'm going to have to run wire for new outlets for the air compressor and welder there. Consequently, I'm not sure how soon after moving I'll be able to get back to work. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Off the jacks, on the cart, and in the garage. I need to add a bit more bracing to the cart, though. It wasn't as rigid as I thought. Thankfully it's holding together as is.

VfDMvjx.jpg

The beginning of a beautiful friendship.

YodZlaD.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Gathering parts for future use. This kit will go into the 31-spline carrier I pulled from a random 8.8 that was just chilling outside of a vehicle at a local yard. Could have been from a truck, an Explorer, no idea. Said 31-spline carrier will be going into the 8.8 that is destined to live under the grátis coupe.

232AB1D6-5527-44B0-B7A6-AE64A469635F.png

Reactions: 2 users
The car is currently at a friends house. In the meantime, I've been getting the new garage ready. All I need now is the run the wire for the air compressor and welder. This garage definitely has more space than the old one. I'm going to get another set of shelves so I can have extra space to store spare parts for the '66.

SbZRM1A.jpg

fDyAN8Y.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
Ah, running 240v wiring...I still have nightmares...digging a 18" trench to lay the conduit...easy....trying to squeeze into the crawlspace under the house squeezing so tight between the floor joists and the ground I cant even fill my lungs all the way to get under the box.....was on the verge of claustrophobia the entire time....why in gods name dont they automatically assume you want 240v if you have a detached garage?(or an attached one for that matter?)

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, running 240v wiring...I still have nightmares...digging a 18" trench to lay the conduit...easy....trying to squeeze into the crawlspace under the house squeezing so tight between the floor joists and the ground I cant even fill my lungs all the way to get under the box.....was on the verge of claustrophobia the entire time....why in gods name dont they automatically assume you want 240v if you have a detached garage?(or an attached one for that matter?)
This garage is attached, so the worst of it is that the breaker box is on the opposite side of the house. I'll probably have to get a good 100' for both circuits.

I do not see any driers on those air lines. If you have not already installed one. Please do yourself the favor and do.
I may be overlooking where it may be though.

Love the set up though. I need to do some work on my peg board, Especially screwdrivers

I do not see any driers on those air lines. If you have not already installed one. Please do yourself the favor and do.
I may be overlooking where it may be though.

Love the set up though. I need to do some work on my peg board, Especially screwdrivers
I have a water separator/filter/regulator installed just before the hose reel. A drier is in the cards, but that's going to be later.

Anyone ever ran a new wire into an exterior panel? I'm thinking this may be difficult. Assuming the conduit between the box and the house is just through the brick, it's going to be difficult to thread the new wires in there without cutting a hole in the wall on the inside.

IMG_7541.jpg

IMG_7542.jpg

I'm not an Electrician by trade What I would do is remove one of the panel knockouts at the bottom and run a waterproof connection into the house then proceed. BTW: I'm not liking the exterior circuit breaker panel one little bit. FWIW: I'd figure a way to make it water-tight and lock not just the panel door by the cover to the panel box itself. You don't want someone turning off all your power on you or your family...

I see the water separator, good move having that close to the compressor.

I do have Residential Electrical Experience.

Few Questions:
  1. What is your Knowledge of Residential Electricity
  2. Are you interested in running the line underground outside, around the house, then into the garage?
  3. How good are you at digging a trench?
  4. Is the house on a crawl space or on a basement?
With that box being on the outside and on the other side of the house. YES you can fish it through and run the wire under the house. That will require some cutting of drywall and drilling. It may be easier to run the circuit downward out of the box as suggested by Joe Mc and digging a trench. If you do this, you can actually run more than one circuit and create a "Sub Box" inside the garage for future use.

I see the water separator, good move having that close to the compressor.

I do have Residential Electrical Experience.

Few Questions:
  1. What is your Knowledge of Residential Electricity
  2. Are you interested in running the line underground outside, around the house, then into the garage?
  3. How good are you at digging a trench?
  4. Is the house on a crawl space or on a basement?
With that box being on the outside and on the other side of the house. YES you can fish it through and run the wire under the house. That will require some cutting of drywall and drilling. It may be easier to run the circuit downward out of the box as suggested by Joe Mc and digging a trench. If you do this, you can actually run more than one circuit and create a "Sub Box" inside the garage for future use.
1. I received training in my AF career about electrical safety, and I did a full electrical panel replacement along with running new circuits for the compressor and welder in the old house. I did it all legitimately with a homeowner's permit and city inspection.
2. It seems like underground and around would likely triple the cost? I'm already looking at about $250 for just the materials since I'll need about 70' of wire for both circuits.
3. Never tried digging a trench, so I couldn't tell you.
4. Neither. Concrete slab with no basement.

I was able to find where the existing wires enter the attic with little difficulty. My main concern is that I won't have a straight shot to the electrical box since I suspect the conduit between the box and the exterior brick is only through the brick rather than all the way up to the rafters.

Is there a tool out there that helps pull wires through conduit?

You could rent a ditch witch a.k.a. "Trencher" to make digging a bit easier. I agree that a sub panel would be an awesome idea this way you could have separate circuits for compressor, welder, additional lighting and receptacles. If you trenched the line over you could use underground rated wire and not have to worry about fishing. If you decide to run conduit and fish you could take a cork and attach a pull line then temporarily hook up compressor and blow the cork/pull line thru the conduit, then connect pull line to wire and pull thru versus fish out. Good luck whichever way you go.

Are exterior electrical panels like that the new way of doing things? My house was just built and it has panels like that outside for the stove and other large appliances. Then an interior panel for lighting and other stuff.

You could rent a ditch witch a.k.a. "Trencher" to make digging a bit easier. I agree that a sub panel would be an awesome idea this way you could have separate circuits for compressor, welder, additional lighting and receptacles. If you trenched the line over you could use underground rated wire and not have to worry about fishing. If you decide to run conduit and fish you could take a cork and attach a pull line then temporarily hook up compressor and blow the cork/pull line thru the conduit, then connect pull line to wire and pull thru versus fish out. Good luck whichever way you go.
I'm probably going to just go up through the attic. The major hurdle I've been referencing here is fishing the wire from the point in the attic where the wires exit the wall, into the electrical box through the short conduit in the exterior brick. I'm not really sure how difficult it might be without cutting a hole in the interior wall opposite the breaker box to see what it looks like. I'm not ruling that out, either.

Are exterior electrical panels like that the new way of doing things? My house was just built and it has panels like that outside for the stove and other large appliances. Then an interior panel for lighting and other stuff.
Not sure. This house was built in 2002. The entire neighborhood is wired like this house with underground service. I guess it's supposed to be more aesthetically pleasing. Just makes it more of a hassle for me, unfortunately.

All my shop wiring it routed under ground ,had to go about 100 feet and a big pain in the butt ...anyone know what hard pan is ?
Through the attic would be my choice . My breaker boxes are also out side but under the eve so water doesnt get to them .

All my shop wiring it routed under ground ,had to go about 100 feet and a big pain in the butt ...anyone know what hard pan is ?
Through the attic would be my choice . My breaker boxes are also out side but under the eve so water doesnt get to them .
Same here. I’m not worried about water getting into the box, but I did install a beefy padlock today.

Picture from further back of the panel? Looks like a soffit above from the shadows? If so and it's not too unsightly in your opinion, you could go up from the box on the outside of the house into the soffit, use an LB to make the turn and head to the garage. Looks like you may have 5 spots left? Maybe run a 220 and a couple 110 dedicated circuits over there. How long will you be in the house being in the Air Force? (I need to read this whole thread, my '65 is prairie bronze, bench seat, A-code, 3-speed, A/C.)

Picture from further back of the panel? Looks like a soffit above from the shadows? If so and it's not too unsightly in your opinion, you could go up from the box on the outside of the house into the soffit, use an LB to make the turn and head to the garage. Looks like you may have 5 spots left? Maybe run a 220 and a couple 110 dedicated circuits over there. How long will you be in the house being in the Air Force? (I need to read this whole thread, my '65 is prairie bronze, bench seat, A-code, 3-speed, A/C.)
I hadn’t considered that. That may be a good course of action. There are already plenty of 110 outlets in the garage, so no issues there.

B869B1B6-8AFF-4D52-9A7F-2EF9E5CDA5C8.jpeg