Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd hate to go through what you, Steve, and Mike have been through with your engines.

The car... or the engine / turbo is all but sold ???

I hate to see you give up. I have to ask, what is going to be different about a classic? The fox platform didn't come with a turbo 351, that was self induced. Also, you tried to cut some corners along the way.

I know that sounds a little harsh, but I am trying to internet slap you into keeping the car, it's a nice car that you have put a lot of work into. Don't give up on it now.

Joe

I'd hate to go through what you, Steve, and Mike have been through with your engines.

The whole enchilada
I hate to see you give up. I have to ask, what is going to be different about a classic? The fox platform didn't come with a turbo 351, that was self induced. Also, you tried to cut some corners along the way.

I know that sounds a little harsh, but I am trying to internet slap you into keeping the car, it's a nice car that you have put a lot of work into. Don't give up on it now.

Joe
You’re right, it’s all self induced. I’m just worn out with it. I’ve agonized over “why isn’t this working” for many, many months now. I fought it tooth and nail, and i had a few small “aha” moments along the way and finally got it running. Then it ate itself as a final FU. The frustrating part is if I fix the motor, what’s next?
The real reason, i suppose is that this whole ordeal took the fun out of it. I haven’t enjoyed working on it lately as it felt like a chore.
Once again, as with all of my last projects, i bit off more than I could chew and it got the better of me.
One of the first pages of this thread, I’d swear that i swore to keep the projects simple and weekend-sized so that it could stay drive able and here we are. I am my own worst enemy here. The cycle is just starting over.

Despite my initial panic after my oil change right after Steve posted his carnage pics,..all of my issues came down to dirt somewhere in the assembly process. I ran this engine for a thousand miles, and have beaten on it regularly since discovering that, and after this removal have not found anything indicating that I have anything going wrong. My engine is out because I wanted to fix/change some things that are done easier with the engine out of the car.

It's a bunch of work.
To you Collin @hoopty5.0

I used to have a " Ive gotta get this running" deadline that I placed on myself when I was drag racing. The build, part breakage, and subsequent add-on modifications kept me in the garage constantly...and when I wasn't there, I was at the track.
The pressure I put on myself to "be there" had me turning over rocks to find money and time to do the upgrades and keep the thing running/ bottles filled/race gas in the tank/ you name it made it more of a hassle than fun.

Just let me blow something up or wreck, and that particular car found its way into the "sold and done" category.

But two years later.........there'd be another one, and another 10-12 k, and countless hours spent doing it all over again. It got to where when I would tell Kate that I was done, selling the car, and quitting drag racing for good, she'd go " until the next one".
Between 1990, and 2007 I had 10 cars that I built from scratch, raced, and sold off for a huge loss. The black and white car in my avatar was the "o.g."
And to Collins comment....my oldest was born in 1992.
It took me several years before I came to terms with building a street car, and letting the thing happen when it happens. I will not take on anything that I'm not confident that I can make work, and the MS3x upgrade is a prime example.
until I know: that the engine I put back in the car is up and running, there is no way I'll bite off an entire ecu upgrade not knowing that I haven't got some other issue standing in the way first.

All this to say specifically to you Collin...at least you know that you are doing it to yourself. It's the first of the twelve step process of Shade tree mechanics anonymous ....admitting that you are part of the problem.

(And I'm not throwing stones here, I have stated numerous times on my own thread that I have Car Munchausens disease,..and I'm guilty of making mountains out of molehills myself)

Reality for me came when I saw my own pics of my car on Craigslist when I said I was trying to sell it with a 12k asking price..
How stupid would thatve been really? How much would a person have to pay to build a car like that?
Over.
How much would a person have to pay to have a car like yours?

For you to decide that a different car is somehow gonna fix any future expense and downtime that you'll incur is rediculous, and I don't know if you've driven something like a 65 mustang lately,....but they ain't nothin special. And you won't find one that isn't a mess for what you're gonna clear from the proceeds of the sale of this car. And...even if you do...how is it that you think that you'll be content to just " get it running, and keep it that way?"

If that thought process is even lurking in your head.....A you're kidding yourself, and B. Do it to what you have already.
Put a freaking 5.0 back in the car, sell off that 351w junk, and drive the car.there are too many running cars owned by guys here with less skill than you have to let yourself be defeated by a shortcut(ed) process ...somewhere in the 351 w build something wasn't done right..rod bearings don't keep failing unless something is wrong with a clearance. It's that freakin simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Despite my initial panic after my oil change right after Steve posted his carnage pics,..all of my issues came down to dirt somewhere in the assembly process. I ran this engine for a thousand miles, and have beaten on it regularly since discovering that, and after this removal have not found anything indicating that I have anything going wrong. My engine is out because I wanted to fix/change some things that are done easier with the engine out of the car.

It's a bunch of work.
To you Collin @hoopty5.0

I used to have a " Ive gotta get this running" deadline that I placed on myself when I was drag racing. The build, part breakage, and subsequent add-on modifications kept me in the garage constantly...and when I wasn't there, I was at the track.
The pressure I put on myself to "be there" had me turning over rocks to find money and time to do the upgrades and keep the thing running/ bottles filled/race gas in the tank/ you name it made it more of a hassle than fun.

Just let me blow something up or wreck, and that particular car found its way into the "sold and done" category.

But two years later.........there'd be another one, and another 10-12 k, and countless hours spent doing it all over again. It got to where when I would tell Kate that I was done, selling the car, and quitting drag racing for good, she'd go " until the next one".
Between 1990, and 2007 I had 10 cars that I built from scratch, raced, and sold off for a huge loss. The black and white car in my avatar was the "o.g."
And to Collins comment....my oldest was born in 1992.
It took me several years before I came to terms with building a street car, and letting the thing happen when it happens. I will not take on anything that I'm not confident that I can make work, and the MS3x upgrade is a prime example.
until I know: that the engine I put back in the car is up and running, there is no way I'll bite off an entire ecu upgrade not knowing that I haven't got some other issue standing in the way first.

All this to say specifically to you Collin...at least you know that you are doing it to yourself. It's the first of the twelve step process of Shade tree mechanics anonymous ....admitting that you are part of the problem.

(And I'm not throwing stones here, I have stated numerous times on my own thread that I have Car Munchausens disease,..and I'm guilty of making mountains out of molehills myself)

Reality for me came when I saw my own pics of my car on Craigslist when I said I was trying to sell it with a 12k asking price..
How stupid would thatve been really? How much would a person have to pay to build a car like that?
Over.
How much would a person have to pay to have a car like yours?

For you to decide that a different car is somehow gonna fix any future expense and downtime that you'll incur is rediculous, and I don't know if you've driven something like a 65 mustang lately,....but they ain't nothin special. And you won't find one that isn't a mess for what you're gonna clear from the proceeds of the sale of this car. And...even if you do...how is it that you think that you'll be content to just " get it running, and keep it that way?"

If that thought process is even lurking in your head.....A you're kidding yourself, and B. Do it to what you have already.
Put a freaking 5.0 back in the car, sell off that 351w junk, and drive the car.there are too many running cars owned by guys here with less skill than you have to let yourself be defeated by a shortcut(ed) process ...somewhere in the 351 w build something wasn't done right..rod bearings don't keep failing unless something is wrong with a clearance. It's that freakin simple.
I’ve thought about it a lot lately:
A) i drive the 69 Camaro next to my car frequently and really enjoy it.
B) my fox has issues that I’ll never be content with. The largest being the front of the car is crooked as Owen Wilson’s nose and the front clip will never ever be straight. I don’t need to explain anything further to you there, it like nails on a chalk board
C) and this is a weak excuse - i need more back seat room for a car seat. I can’t get my child in the back of the fox i don’t think.
D) I’ve always wanted a classic, and always settled on a fox because it’s what i can afford. I’m selling the car for $7500, going to save for a while (wife said i can set aside $500/mo now that my DD is paid off) and buy what I’ve always had my eye on. Either a 69-70 fastback, a Torino, or a galaxie 500.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
351c, nice interior, a/c $4500. Isn’t a rust bucket either.

F78D66EF-DCA6-4B2E-81FE-1D720508644B.png

Reactions: 2 users
But dude!. That car is the definition of Dork. I had a friend that had a 428 CJ version of that car in HS, and riding in that car was the farthest thing from "sporty". ( think row boat in the Atlantic)
That’s just an example. I’m going to save for a while and buy the right vehicle. - assuming the fox sells. There is no cash in my hand yet

The whole enchilada

You’re right, it’s all self induced. I’m just worn out with it. I’ve agonized over “why isn’t this working” for many, many months now. I fought it tooth and nail, and i had a few small “aha” moments along the way and finally got it running. Then it ate itself as a final FU. The frustrating part is if I fix the motor, what’s next?
The real reason, i suppose is that this whole ordeal took the fun out of it. I haven’t enjoyed working on it lately as it felt like a chore.
Once again, as with all of my last projects, i bit off more than I could chew and it got the better of me.
One of the first pages of this thread, I’d swear that i swore to keep the projects simple and weekend-sized so that it could stay drive able and here we are. I am my own worst enemy here. The cycle is just starting over.

Dont be hard on yourself. If you weren't working on the car, putting hard effort, anxiety, stress, and brain power into the project ... you would be putting that same effort into boozing, chasing the ladies and who knows what other debauchery. So I guess Im saying NICE WORK SELLING IT, PASS THE WHISKEREY!!!

Looking forward to seeing pics of the next project

I think you've already made up your mind, but..... Just so you know.... I fit 3 car seats in my fox. (I'd post the picture, but it's on the external hard drive at home.) I can also fit 3 car seats in my s550... The kids much prefer the s550. :nice:

It might be something simple going on with your engine. You say fou felt a vibration but is it making noise ? Guess it doesn't matter if you have metal in the filter. You've got to tear into it and see what's going on.

I’ve thought about it a lot lately:
A) i drive the 69 Camaro next to my car frequently and really enjoy it.
B) my fox has issues that I’ll never be content with. The largest being the front of the car is crooked as Owen Wilson’s nose and the front clip will never ever be straight. I don’t need to explain anything further to you there, it like nails on a chalk board
C) and this is a weak excuse - i need more back seat room for a car seat. I can’t get my child in the back of the fox i don’t think.
D) I’ve always wanted a classic, and always settled on a fox because it’s what i can afford. I’m selling the car for $7500, going to save for a while (wife said i can set aside $500/mo now that my DD is paid off) and buy what I’ve always had my eye on. Either a 69-70 fastback, a Torino, or a galaxie 500.

I read your other thread "what to do" and just read up on this thread too. It seems to me (IMO) that you'd sell this car either way running or not. At what point do you say to yourself "this is NOT hot rodding". Life is too short to be stalled out and frustrated all the time whether it's self inflicted or not. You admit that you are your worst enemy, what's going to change if you sell the car and replace it with a classic? The common denominator is still the same. For me, being a Dad changes the way I look at my time spent doing things. My time is valuable and I hate wasting it. My money has more value to it as well because it's money I could save and leave for my kids to have a better future. My "disposable income" is not to be wasted, it should be spent wisely irregardless of how much excess income I may or may not have. I believe in the saying "a fool and his money are soon parted".

If you love and value your car (not just this silly hobby), then fix it right and pay to have a professional do it and keep the car for a long time.
If you're sick and tired of your car and there's things about it you just can't settle for anymore, then sell it now. If you fix it with the intentions of selling it after it runs you risk catastrophic engine failure due to a couple too many WOT pulls that you just gotta do before handing it over to the new owner and you may just end up right back to where you are now.

P.S. if my 9 y/o son and my twin 5 y/o daughters with their booster seats fit in my Fox then your ONE child will be not be an issue. I'm 6'-3" but we fit.
IMG_3319.JPG
IMG_1985.JPG
IMG_1936.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
I read your other thread "what to do" and just read up on this thread too. It seems to me (IMO) that you'd sell this car either way running or not. At what point do you say to yourself "this is NOT hot rodding". Life is too short to be stalled out and frustrated all the time whether it's self inflicted or not. You admit that you are your worst enemy, what's going to change if you sell the car and replace it with a classic? The common denominator is still the same. For me, being a Dad changes the way I look at my time spent doing things. My time is valuable and I hate wasting it. My money has more value to it as well because it's money I could save and leave for my kids to have a better future. My "disposable income" is not to be wasted, it should be spent wisely irregardless of how much excess income I may or may not have. I believe in the saying "a fool and his money are soon parted".

If you love and value your car (not just this silly hobby), then fix it right and pay to have a professional do it and keep the car for a long time.
If you're sick and tired of your car and there's things about it you just can't settle for anymore, then sell it now. If you fix it with the intentions of selling it after it runs you risk catastrophic engine failure due to a couple too many WOT pulls that you just gotta do before handing it over to the new owner and you may just end up right back to where you are now.

P.S. if my 9 y/o son and my twin 5 y/o daughters with their booster seats fit in my Fox then your ONE child will be not be an issue. I'm 6'-3" but we fit.
IMG_3319.JPG
IMG_1985.JPG
IMG_1936.JPG
You're 100% right, especially with the worst enemy thing. The only part I'm struggling with is that I don't enjoy working on the car like I used to. I could spend all day/night working and getting it done, but now I don't have that luxury and it's not the same.

I'm waiting on a call back from the machinist to fix the existing motor the 'right way' as was the result of the poll. I'm expecting to pay about $2k to get it running again (with the better rods that Joe suggested).

I had a lot more typed out, but I'll just wait to hear back before planning the next move.

Reactions: 3 users