Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

Just make sure that money from the sale gets put away somewhere far far away from the house funds...I'd hate for those funds to get depleted for "another project"

I vote you should get something now or you will get stuff in the I will get something after this project..............

• Sponsors (?)

Just make sure that money from the sale gets put away somewhere far far away from the house funds...I'd hate for those funds to get depleted for "another project"

I vote you should get something now or you will get stuff in the I will get something after this project..............
Nah, my wife knows better. She's actually pushing for me to get a late 60s mustang next. They just cost too damn much.

I also am keeping my spare 351. I doubt I do anything with it anytime soon, but I just couldn't let it go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Nah, my wife knows better. She's actually pushing for me to get a late 60s mustang next. They just cost too damn much.

I also am keeping my spare 351. I doubt I do anything with it anytime soon, but I just couldn't let it go.
Just get yourself something that needs a lot of/little work! Your wife is behind it, so I'm sure you could find time here and there. If you're looking for something that is turn-key, it's going to cost you.

Settle in at the new place, have baby #2, and start looking for your new project that most definitely will NOT have a turbo.

Just get yourself something that needs a lot of/little work! Your wife is behind it, so I'm sure you could find time here and there. If you're looking for something that is turn-key, it's going to cost you.

Settle in at the new place, have baby #2, and start looking for your new project that most definitely will NOT have a turbo.
man thats the problem, all of the fastbacks that are reasonably priced are rotted out. Even the coupes are up there.

man thats the problem, all of the fastbacks that are reasonably priced are rotted out. Even the coupes are up there.
I know @horse sence has converted a lot of '65-'68s to fastbacks. I wonder if it's possible to do it with a '69-'70. Maybe try looking for something further away from the water and possibly less rotted? My '66 sat for a long time, but everything structural is solid.

Gotta find something in a barn before some youtube show does!

I know @horse sence has converted a lot of '65-'68s to fastbacks. I wonder if it's possible to do it with a '69-'70. Maybe try looking for something further away from the water and possibly less rotted? My '66 sat for a long time, but everything structural is solid.

Gotta find something in a barn before some youtube show does!
You can, there's a 69 in Fort Worth that was converted and it's really nice.

You can build a fast back body ,65 -70. It is around 5 grand for all the metal for a 65 -68 69- 70 will probably be just a bit more .find a good coupe ,or at least one with a good sub structure ,the outer sheetmetal really doesnt matter because you will replace it all in the conversion. I usually pick up a coupe body for around 5 -800 dollars

Well, it was a long weekend. The acreage house was nice but needed a LOT of work, so we're still looking but haven't ruled it out.

On to the car:
Yesterday, I needed to move it around, so I put the new-used alternator on it, charged the battery, and cleaned it up. I bought a cheap-o mechanical oil pressure gauge to test my theory that the electric gauge was faulty. Here is the result at idle:

Image-1.jpg

At higher rpm it might have gone up to 35ish psi, but not much more. Plus, I sat in the car and revved it and held it at 3000 or so and it vibrates, so I guess the motor is junk.
As I sat there contemplating what to do, I began trying to figure out how I was going to move this to another house and how long it was going to sit until I settled and got time to work on it again. 'Cept the wife wants kid #2 once we get settled, so then it would sit even longer.
That didn't sit well. I hardly have time anymore for car stuffs.

So, I listed it for sale.

And it sold, within an hour.

But wait, what about the seats at the upholstery shop?!? My plan is to sit on the money for a bit and find another car
. I'm swearing off of turbos, for sure this time.
I'll stick my fancy new seats in and drive the mofo.

Man.....:nonono:...

I get it. A failed engine project is the death nail for many here, especially after going through the hassle to rebuild the engine, and THEN it fails.

And this isn't meant to be too condescending...but please,........Don't kid the kidders.

The engine didn't fail because of the turbo. It wouldn't have mattered whether it had a supercharger, a blower, or if it was dead stock. And it won't matter if the engine was in an 89, or a 69....The engine failed because you did something wrong in your rebuild. Your engine didn't even see one pound of boost. You have a bearing that has shifted in one of those rods that didn't need resizing.

The thing about participating on this thread is that nobody fools anybody around here if they update regularly. With as much stuff as you got going on in your life, even a blind man can see that you just have too much going on in it right now to have a project car in it too. And that's alright!! Children and family are far more important than any piece of steel. But, If there ever was a case that screamed "Somebody else's finished project, and leave it alone when you get it" it's yours.

Just don't slam a turbo..it didn't have a damn thing to do with your lack of oil pressure.

Man.....:nonono:...

I get it. A failed engine project is the death nail for many here, especially after going through the hassle to rebuild the engine, and THEN it fails.

And this isn't meant to be too condescending...but please,........Don't kid the kidders.

The engine didn't fail because of the turbo. It wouldn't have mattered whether it had a supercharger, a blower, or if it was dead stock. And it won't matter if the engine was in an 89, or a 69....The engine failed because you did something wrong in your rebuild. Your engine didn't even see one pound of boost. You have a bearing that has shifted in one of those rods that didn't need resizing.

The thing about participating on this thread is that nobody fools anybody around here if they update regularly. With as much stuff as you got going on in your life, even a blind man can see that you just have too much going on in it right now to have a project car in it too. And that's alright!! Children and family are far more important than any piece of steel. But, If there ever was a case that screamed "Somebody else's finished project, and leave it alone when you get it" it's yours.

Just don't slam a turbo..it didn't have a damn thing to do with your lack of oil pressure.
You're right Mike. I misspoke. The 'no more turbos' line should have read - "no more seriously involved projects that spiral wildly out of control".

But, we all know that's a lie too. It's not a matter of if I do it again, it's just a matter of when.
remember when I first brought this car home? I did really good! lots of small, easy projects that made the car more and more fun and nice to drive. Then somewhere along the timeline, I got a polluted idea to shove a turbo in there, but then it needed an MS before I did that. And if I did the MS, I wanted LS coils and a crank trigger, and then..... and then ...... and then.

FACK.

Luckily, I'm falling headlong into another hobby, luckily one that makes money instead of tossing it hopelessly into a black hole. I still want/need a project car, but I can only hope it stays how this last one started - a clean, mild coupe that I can drive all over Texas again.

But first, I need to get this housing situation sorted. Of course, my wife and I can't afford to get what we both want. All the houses either check her list completely or mine completely. The one house we found that was the best compromise for both of us went under contract before we could even go see it.
I'm terrified that I'm going to be stuck in the 'burbs again where my neighbor is close enough to yell, "SHUT THAT FKN THING OFF!".

I can't do that.

Reactions: 2 users
And,...I'm sorry.

I'm sorry you've had the problems, and I know that you are frustrated. I've watched you since you were first here and on a boat frustrated because you were trapped in some port for a month.....
You need to listen to the little guy....the one that's trapped in your head instead.
A 65-69 Mustang will suffer the same fate..go to a car show and walk the cars...you pass the hoard of mustangs, and you realize that a 65 coupe is just about the most boring car ford made in the 60's next to a falcon. Anything made in those 4 years that didn't have a fastback falls into the same category. If you buy a coupe and try to convert it to fastback sheetmetal, the little guy in your head will leave you.....and he ain't ever coming back.

Drive one if you get a chance,...they're slow as hell, ride like crap, steer like there's actually a rudder rather than a steering wheel,...and you gotta plan in advance if you ever hope to get it stopped in time compared to what you had. I grew up owning a 65 GT, and graduated HS owning a 69 Mach 1. I wouldn't have one now unless the car was willed to me.

There will be a time that's right to spend on a project car, but it has to be when you have the time to do it, and that seems to be in short supply at your house these days. The little guy knows what's right for you...he's already spoke to Allen, Allen listened.

Sometimes it's hard to hear him,...You really have to struggle, cause ....it's just a murmur now...He's sayin....
Buy an S550...and drive it. They are cool as hell...and....leave it the phck alone......

Drive one if you get a chance,...they're slow as hell, ride like crap, steer like there's actually a rudder rather than a steering wheel,...and you gotta plan in advance if you ever hope to get it stopped in time compared to what you had. I grew up owning a 65 GT, and graduated HS owning a 69 Mach 1. I wouldn't have one now unless the car was willed to me.

I'm sure you've noticed the 69 camaro that's been in my garage for over a year now. I can't imagine that it drives any different than a mustang of the same vintage, and it drives exactly as you've described. I really enjoy it for some reason. I hop in and go around town on the weekends. It slow, steers like a tug boat, and the clutch and shifter throw is about 3 miles, but there's something about it that I love.

I don't think I will be able to afford one in any kind of useable shape any time soon, so rest easy there.