Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

And i get that..But it's like I said..I warned him not to use a stock rod bolt, and to definitely have all 8 rods resized. Now we got another spun rod bearing.

I did. We've been through that, they resized the rods when this motor was assembled. And we don't know that it's a rod bearing yet.

As for Collin,......He can do it. He just needs to not let money or time get in his way. Not spending the extra time and money to do a small thing cost him a lot of time and money to fix it. While paying some guy to do it might have a guaranty that it'll run, that isn't a guarantee that he wont have to tear it back apart if it doesn't.

?
No, it's going to be guaranteed to run. It's going to come with a build sheet, and theyre going to put it on a dyno, run it for half an hour, and make sure that it's all right. My dad's been using these guys for many, many years with success. They won't let sht leave that isn't right, unless someone like me comes to them with a bucket of parts and says explicitly to assemble the motor and nothing else, because he cant afford to do it right.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Mike, if you had measured everything before assembly, you would have caught the taper. And that's my point, it's not just bolting stuff together, it's a lot of precision pieces that have to be nearly perfect. I agree that Collin can do it, and I agree it takes time, money, but also some knowledge of how to do it correctly. I would love to see him conquer it himself, and perhaps he will, but he needs to either do it right or let someone else do it right. Other wise he will be do it 3 times Collin.

Joe

It's great that you're fixing it, but a part of me was looking forward to a 1970 fastback Hoopty v3.0.
I think it's going to happen. I'm going to get it running, fix some other cosmetic issues, enjoy it for a hot minute, and then sell it. A '70 FB is a whole sht ton of doll hairs and I need to get closer to old and rich status first.

Edit: I was calling for an update before I scrolled down enough to see that you stated you were fixing it...

My bad.

Reactions: 1 user
Mike, if you had measured everything before assembly, you would have caught the taper. And that's my point, it's not just bolting stuff together, it's a lot of precision pieces that have to be nearly perfect. I agree that Collin can do it, and I agree it takes time, money, but also some knowledge of how to do it correctly. I would love to see him conquer it himself, and perhaps he will, but he needs to either do it right or let someone else do it right. Other wise he will be do it 3 times Collin.

Joe
Checking bearing clearances are one thing...but tell me who has the money and the ability to read a dial bore gauge the one time in ten years you'd use it. Checking cylinder wall taper on a newly sleeved, bored, and honed engine was supposed to be done by the monkey that did the honing.
And it is bolting stuff together if the machine shop did what they were supposed to do.
I've probably assembled 20 engines in my life, and never checked ( or had instance) to check any of the machine work done by those shops. Hell I never degreed in a cam until this engine, and if it wouldn't have been such a morphadite, where I could just line up the dots and go, the cam in this engine would be no different. All of those engines ran with no failures.

That is until I made them fail at least.

Checking bearing clearances are one thing...but tell me who has the money and the ability to read a dial bore gauge the one time in ten years you'd use it. Checking cylinder wall taper on a newly sleeved, bored, and honed engine was supposed to be done by the monkey that did the honing.
And it is bolting stuff together if the machine shop did what they were supposed to do.
I've probably assembled 20 engines in my life, and never checked ( or had instance) to check any of the machine work done by those shops. Hell I never degreed in a cam until this engine, and if it wouldn't have been such a morphadite, where I could just line up the dots and go, the cam in this engine would be no different. All of those engines ran with no failures.

That is until I made them fail at least.

Same people who can afford to spend thousands on a new engine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...VNSh8m2ZvIlc-gpdIZuHhzFEtOx93JzxoCv-QQAvD_BwE

I guess the saying is true, you can always afford to do it twice over doing it right once.

Joe

I’ve been out of here for awhile living life. Sorry to read you’ve ran into more problems.

My advice is to repeat what others have said. Don’t give up on it and keep the projects small and as fun as possible. I have taken long periods off without even having a car to mess with(in one now as we speak). I miss it. I also recognize that life changes and we change with it. I don’t want to spend my time in a garage busting my butt,wallet,and most importantly my piece of mind. I remember that every time I almost “buy” another car. I still look. I still love these particular cars. I just like driving and maintaining them. I don’t want to build anymore. Or do the “heavy lifting” but that’s me. You’re still too involved with that part to give up now imo. Good luck on everything.

I’ve been out of here for awhile living life. Sorry to read you’ve ran into more problems.

My advice is to repeat what others have said. Don’t give up on it and keep the projects small and as fun as possible. I have taken long periods off without even having a car to mess with(in one now as we speak). I miss it. I also recognize that life changes and we change with it. I don’t want to spend my time in a garage busting my butt,wallet,and most importantly my piece of mind. I remember that every time I almost “buy” another car. I still look. I still love these particular cars. I just like driving and maintaining them. I don’t want to build anymore. Or do the “heavy lifting” but that’s me. You’re still too involved with that part to give up now imo. Good luck on everything.
Heyyyy Look what the cat drug in! Id love to be in the maintenance stage, and I think once the engine is done, I'll be there. It's so damned close.

Reactions: 1 user
I've recently come to the realization that the money needed to do anything on that fox isn't going to slowly materialize somehow by the practice of what some people call saving. At least, not the way things have been going in my house lately. So, I decided I needed a side hustle, something with low overhead and high profit potential. All this assuming that other people find value in what I'm doing now.

So, the plan is to buy cheap (<$50), used tables with wrought iron bases and wood tops, rip the tops off, and build live-edge custom tops for them. It's a niche market with limited buyers, but the farmhouse-chic trend is still on fire around here at least.

I bought a couple of Pecan slabs for $50/ea:

IMG_2045.jpg

Did some hacking and sanding:
IMG_2178.jpg

then a little staining...
45984831_10114067543970994_6653870636131155968_o.jpg

And voila. I'm about $125 into this table and it's already sold.
46087010_10114067543626684_8368737007387541504_o.jpg

I probably only need to make about 20 or 25 more now. :confused: But that's the plan to finance the fox back into health at least for now. Cross your fingers.

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users