The Night of the Hurricane (a really long stupid story)

yet another awesome story & a very cool car that I had never heard of before. the hood scoop looks like it has found a new home on the curent project. I agree that they should make a sticky of your stories.

Thanks. Yeah,.... I'm kinda partial to that scoop. it shows up on the next two projects after that, and then again on the current one.

• Sponsors (?)

omfg....WANT that interior for my coupe soooooo bad.

Nothing that a little Vinyl dye, ACC carpet and some cheap Autometer Autogage(s) cant solve. :nice: You have the same style interior right?

I got lucky with this one. The little old man that owned it before had garaged it for most of it's life. Check out the dash. Perfect original dash that you could actually press your finger into and the vinyl would still rebound,.....even at the speaker perfs.

yet another awesome story & a very cool car that I had never heard of before. the hood scoop looks like it has found a new home on the curent project. I agree that they should make a sticky of your stories.

You mean you've never heard of Zephyr or Hurricane?

Ford has been using Zephyr as a name since the 30's when it put the name on a Lincoln. Fairmont had some lineage to Henry's son Edsel back in the 50's I think.
It's pretty cool if you look up how some of the cars got their names. Almost every one has some meaning.

Like Camaro.....While the actual name has no meaning, it is derived from a french word meaning comrade. Chevrolet changed the original name from Panther to Camaro in keeping w/ their "Cars that start with a C" theme. Chevelle, Corvette, Chevy II, Corvair, and Camaro.

In 67, They told the press that a "Camaro was a small viscous animal that attacks and eats Mustangs" But in truth, there is no such animal. It simply means...... Chum, Friend, Buddy, Pal:grouphug: .

And I thought that Zephyr was stupid.:rlaugh:

Yeah but i don't think you can dye tan can you? Even if you could that would be a scratch nightmare. I'm going black with mine.

Nope, the color you see is all spray dye. (except the seats) There is now spray dye for both rigid plastic and the softer stuff. I sprayed my current door panel Black on top of the red soft stuff I have covered my door panel with. You cant scratch it off. It requires that every surface be mega clean and free from any trace of Armour All. It comes in both ready to spray in a can, and mixed to spray from a gun ( Like I did with that goofy red color on the rest of the rigid plastic) The dash and rear panels worked great. The kicks,......well, I didn't get them as clean as I need to the paint is vulnerable there.

Zepher is the one I never heard of before. I dont know my car history that well. Camaro meaning a small vicious animal that attacks & eats mustangs made me laugh. I will have to tell my camaro driving budy that one & watch his head swell up. Then remind him his camaro couldn't beat my car when it was an NA car much less the turbo version when it returns to the street. He loves to talk trash but, its so much fun to deflate his ego. You said that hood scoop makes an appearance on the next two builds. So that means we can all look forward to at least 2 more stories right? By the way, any update on the curent build thats at the paint shop?

Zepher is the one I never heard of before. I dont know my car history that well. Camaro meaning a small vicious animal that attacks & eats mustangs made me laugh. I will have to tell my camaro driving budy that one & watch his head swell up. Then remind him his camaro couldn't beat my car when it was an NA car much less the turbo version when it returns to the street. He loves to talk trash but, its so much fun to deflate his ego. You said that hood scoop makes an appearance on the next two builds. So that means we can all look forward to at least 2 more stories right? By the way, any update on the curent build thats at the paint shop?

The hood scoop does show up on two more cars. There were 3 cars between the Hurricane and the one I'm gonna show you here. This car doesn't have a stupid story that goes with it though.

starion003.jpg

This is the very first test session.

View attachment 185291

This is a Mitsubishi Starion w/ a Ford engine. It also had a C4, An 8.8, Mustang Struts and Grenada 5 lug rotors. ( It just didn't know it wasn't a mustang) Also notice the two fuel cells. One had Alcohol in it, and the other had 110 Octane for N2O enrichment

starion005.jpg

The goofy guy flowing the nitrous system is me. My sign guy didn't want to make the front sign where I overlapped the blue oval over the Mitsubishi tri-diamond, I told him it'd be O.K., I told him I wouldn't tell anybody he did it.

starion004.jpg

It ran 5.60's and was constantly scaring the crap out of me. One time it'd wheelstand about 12-15", and another time it'd just keep on going up until I pedal'd it. I think it wanted to be a space shuttle. This picture was taken at Lassiter Mountain. It is my "Local Track". It doesn't look like this anymore however.

The other car was another Mustang that turned into a Fairmont. Only there is absolutley NO photographic evidence that it ever existed. It will be in the next Stupid story.
Pay attention to my "local track" it plays a big part in the next story.

As for the current project:
No, pretty much as I feared. Just sitting there. The painter called me today, and said he was working hard at it. (first day anythings' been done since it was moved there) I'll stop by tomorrow and ck if there is any real progress.

I have his car. He wants me to work on it in exchange for the same on mine. I had to mount his engine and trans (SBC and turbo 400) Build mini tubs, and mount his rear coil overs, and wire the thing. The tubs are built, shocks are mounted, and the engine/trans is mocked up and hanging waiting for the welding. Once that is done, I'll have another week wiring the thing. He knows my time table.

So, all-in-all, I am in better shape than he is with me. But as long as I have his car, he has an incentive to get done, and that is better than nothing.

I havent been to Lassiter Mt since the late 90s and even then I think we was trespassing but it might of even been open for buisness,Who knows. Its good somebody took the time and money to make it a normal track again.

Thanks for sharing the pics of the Mitsubishi. I have never heard of a starion either. My buddy with the twin turbo VR4 is going to hate it when I show him that you put a ford emblem over his beloved tri diamonds. I would never have the guts to make up fliers & issue a challenge to all like that. I figure that no matter how fast my little turbo project turns out; there will always be someone out there that has a ton of money to dump into something and be faster. I guess I lack that kind of confidence because so far, I have lost at the track far more times than I have won. I have been beaten by some that I didn’t think had a chance to beat me. I have never been challenged on the street so once mine is back together, I’m looking forward to it. I have hurt a couple camaro owners’ feelings but, first on my list to seek & destroy will be my buddies VR4.

I think it's great Mike! I had a buddy with a six cyl. fairmont and I spent my entire highschool career begging him to let me drop a 351 in it. I always liked the starion also. I had a math professor that drove one and I'd park my 79 fox next to it and tease him about what his car should sound like. It was a really nice starion, though. beautiful red. I've been thinking I need to add a fairmont or a zephyr to the collection. I've got a nice 351 block that needs a home! Great cars!:nice: