Progress Thread The Northwoods Notch

• Sponsors (?)

Decided to paint the rear quarter trim. They came out well. I also put down some of the noico sound deadener. It’s easy to work with. This is 6 sheets worth. I have 3 more to do my trunk and doors.
5298FBF6-68C1-4A51-8303-AE075401D2E3.jpeg

06DFAB45-CD3E-4A9E-9278-A5C976219A26.jpeg
I previously said “I don’t know what I’m going to do when the car is done.” Well, now I do:

FA0EAEA2-5D4F-4133-8E2B-27823933959D.jpeg

it’s a ‘79 400. Everything works but it smokes a little and needs a little tlc. 650 hours and piston, rods, and rings were done less than 100 hrs ago (though, that was in 1985.) I’m going to fix/ clean it up and sell my walk behind snow blower and John Deere D110 lawn tractor.

Reactions: 3 users
9E2B7F66-4FC9-468E-B766-2565DEDEAE4D.jpeg
Carpet is in. I have a few wrinkles to smooth out and I still need to trim the edges but I’m happy with it. I know it’s not a huge update but it feels pretty significant. For some reason this was a daunting task to me and I put it off. I guess it was just the thought of cutting holes in a new carpet. It was actually pretty easy :doh:

Reactions: 6 users
I like that your updating and keeping the blue rather than doing the whole black swap like so many have done already. Not that I don't like the black interiors I just like to see really nice blue ones too

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
God, me too! The issue with blue is the different variants. Black is black. I have a sneaking suspicion that my “new” regatta blue front seats are going to stick out like sore thumbs against my cyrstal blue interior. I’ll cross the road when I get there though.

Reactions: 1 user
9E2B7F66-4FC9-468E-B766-2565DEDEAE4D.jpeg
Carpet is in. I have a few wrinkles to smooth out and I still need to trim the edges but I’m happy with it. I know it’s not a huge update but it feels pretty significant. For some reason this was a daunting task to me and I put it off. I guess it was just the thought of cutting holes in a new carpet. It was actually pretty easy :doh:
What carpet did you wind up buying?

@Willybill32 ACC Mass Backed Crystal Blue.
Thanks! I’m the original owner of an ‘86 GT, and I’m trying to figure out what to do interior-wise. The stock interior (Canyon Red) still looks OK except for some fading, but I’ve gotta add some sound deadening and am considering replacing the carpet at the same time.

Earlier in the thread you were talking about exhaust. Mods to the stock 5.0 netted 315HP/349 lb. ft., and the Flowmaster 40s that were OK when it was stock are really irritating now, so I’ll add sound deadening.

Progress. Got the carpet trimmed (I didn’t enjoy this) Seatbelts bolted in. Cabin to trunk insulation in. I also decided to remove the headliner and install sound deadener, which caused some grief. I bent the metal trim near the windshield removing it. Man, those clips are stubborn! Also, the factory roof insulation had basically disintegrated. I’m glad I had the forethought to lay a blanket down over the interior.

The big success was getting my rear axle bushings installed. I did this with a ball joint press. Yes, it’s a pain in the ass. I’m happy to have saved the 40$ By not buying the MM tool though. I also installed a MM pinion snubber while I was down there. Next step is to keep going on the reassembly of the interior. Then fuel line, rear suspension, and finally the exhaust!
5F058BF8-2722-4D98-A371-92510E1A90B3.jpeg

FD219FDD-2F57-4BB8-804C-ACCDFDA24481.jpeg

Last edited:
Progress. Got the carpet trimmed (I didn’t enjoy this) Seatbelts bolted in. Cabin to trunk insulation in. I also decided to remove the headliner and install sound deadener, which caused some grief. I bent the metal trim near the windshield removing it. Man, those clips are stubborn! Also, the factory roof insulation had basically disintegrated. I’m glad I had the forethought to lay a blanket down over the interior.

The big success was getting my rear axle bushings installed. I did this with a ball joint press. Yes, it’s a pain in the ass. I’m happy to have saved the 40$ By not buying the MM tool though. I also installed a MM pinion snubber while I was down there. Next step is to keep going on the reassembly of the interior. Then fuel line, rear suspension, and finally the exhaust!
5F058BF8-2722-4D98-A371-92510E1A90B3.jpeg

FD219FDD-2F57-4BB8-804C-ACCDFDA24481.jpeg
Installing sound deadener along the roof area is one of THE best ROIs.

Got most of the interior back in. till need to install the seats and the cluster/surround. I also got the rear upper and lower control arms installed. Next up is the fuel line. I won’t lie, I’m dreading this. The front of the car is jacked up and the fender liner is removed. Just waiting on time now, hopefully I can get to it this week.
DC7CAB64-5D59-469B-BD1E-B620D54E07C2.jpeg
D78178CA-738D-4E33-A6BB-EEFDBE85C94A.jpeg
CDDAEC12-87DA-4224-ACBE-EB9AB58AE32C.jpeg

@Maddene stopped by this morning and bought the Motorsport 160mph speedo/cluster off me. It was awesome to meet a fellow forum member/mustang enthusiast/Mainer. The foxbody community is very small up here.