Progress Thread The Northwoods Notch

Holding off on installing the exhaust for a bit. My parts list is evolving and it makes sense to keep the tailpipes off for a bit while completing other work. Along with the exhaust, a mod that I've been wanting to do for about 2 years is adjustable rear control arms. I finally bit the bullet and ordered MM sport series. These are good for 400hp and I've decided that I am not going to supercharge my car in the immediate future. Anyway, here's my list so far. I set aside a 1,200$ budget for mods and the below list aligns with it.
-Exhaust
-MM sport adjustable lower control arms
-MM stock style upper control arms
-Axle side rubber upper control arm bushings
-Poly spring isolators
-Torque box reinforcements (battle box style)
-LMR cupholder console
-LMR cluster lens

What do you guys think? Solid list? Anything you'd add? Or remove? Another thing I'm considering is ditching my standard BBK SFC without seat brackets in favor of full lengths. Opinions on this too?

I was considering redoing my interior completely but now that I've decided on doing the rear suspension it doesn't fall into the budget this year. I still may do carpet and plan to spray interior pieces over winter. I haven't been thrilled with any of the TMI upholstery samples I've gotten but I'll touch on that another time.

• Sponsors (?)

Another thing I'm considering is ditching my standard BBK SFC without seat brackets in favor of full lengths. Opinions on this too?
Ideally if your going to do it you would just spend the few bucks more and do full lengths over standard length.. is there a big benefit? Don't know but I have a car with standard length and a car with steeda full lengths currently.. I've installed maximum motorsport full lengths on a previous car. To me they all felt a ton better than nothing and wouldn't be able to tell which car had which without knowing. But like I said if your going to do it get full lengths and a cross brace is a must in my book. Steeda or Maximum motorsports full length is what I have personally used and can recommend you look into.

Reactions: 1 user
I had bought an LMR cup holder center console, but I’m not going to use it. It’s ‘89 smoke gray in color. Not sure if they come in blue, or if you’ll have to paint no matter what. If you’re interested in it PM me. I’ll give you a good price on it.

I went down into the garage to remove my rear seats and scope out what needs to be done for the torque box reinforcements. Welllll, one thing led to another.
42EC371B-8BE4-44F4-8476-30D760A73E02.jpeg

My floor is in great shape for the most part. There is some damage on the passenger side rear where it looks like someone tried jacking the car up. It was bent pretty bad so I whacked it with a hammer and got it looking better. There's a small crack that I will weld up while I'm in here. There was also some repair work to the drivers seat mount It looks good so I'll leave it alone. Another thing I noticed is the spot welds on the rear seatback cross brace broke. I plan to reweld these as well.
70397AC1-B73B-40DB-8CA9-E87257C2FC76.jpeg

7D59C894-0299-4C58-99F0-4B081B83479B.jpeg

At this point you may be asking yourself "Drew, why are you removing your carpet, I thought you said you didn't plan to replace it because it didn't fit into your budget?" The answer to that would be that I am stupid. Er... I mean.... Well lets just say the budget has grown? I see no point to reinstall a dirty old carpet. I also purchased a set of front seats off eBay. I threw a lowball offer out and the seller accepted it. They look to be in MUCH better shape then mine. Hopefully they'll match, they're out of a '89 so regatta blue.., At least they're blue and not white, like my '91 crystal blue convertible seats.

So, the plan is. Paint all my interior pieces. Weld in torque box reinforcements . New Mass back carpet. New seats. I'm still thinking about sound deadening, We'll see when we get there.

Reactions: 3 users
New seats came in. They don’t match as well as I was hoping (kinda expected, I was being optimistic and took a chance). They are in MUCH better condition though. I’m currently in the process of swapping my old great condition passenger seat foam to the new worn out drivers seat. Here’s a couple pics to show color match. The camera makes all colors appear lighter and whiter in the car. I plan to reinstall my interior and see how they look. I’ll run them regardless because the look much better than my old seats.
D0B4F228-039B-43E1-9E24-2DD98363361E.jpeg

694E28B0-653F-4B11-BB47-1B642AA4E92E.jpeg

4C486D3F-38EC-4E2F-90BD-B771D349CE98.jpeg
Here’s my old worn out faded 91 very seats for comparison:
2ADB6C45-8720-4A64-80B5-0CAA29D62852.jpeg
I also touched up the welding on my SFC’s. The previous owner seemed to only weld where it was convenient. I still have a little more to weld. This was my first time using flux core. I don’t like it. I’m used to mig with gas and bought a little HF Titanium Easy Flux 110 to have at home. I got better as I used it but still have some learning/practicing to do. Still, it was worth the 180$

Seems that way.. what a mess. I couldn’t get beads to lay out like I wanted.. but I haven’t welded for a year, since I built my front bumper and rock sliders on my jeep. More than likely, it was the awkward position of laying on my back, welding a foot above me. We will see how welding the torque box reinforcements go. Still, having a welder at home, for under 200$ Is fine by me. I don’t weld much. And If I have a big job to do I have access to better welders.

Seems that way.. what a mess. I couldn’t get beads to lay out like I wanted.. but I haven’t welded for a year, since I built my front bumper and rock sliders on my jeep. More than likely, it was the awkward position of laying on my back, welding a foot above me. We will see how welding the torque box reinforcements go. Still, having a welder at home, for under 200$ Is fine by me. I don’t weld much. And If I have a big job to do I have access to better welders.
I’m a newb, hack welder myself. If I can get it to where it’s strong...... a grinder can make it look better!

Today I finished up the front seats.. I had been waiting on hog rings and pliers. First I welded up a crack in the seat frame. Then I got the seat foam switched out. Next the drivers seat was assembled and cleaned followed by the passenger. This was my first experience with upholstery. I liked it, though I think these seats might be pretty easy. For cleaning i vacuumed, then used diluted simple green and a scrub brush. Next I blotted it up. It’s amazing how much dirt this gets up. After that I steamed them. Blotted again. Followed by a final vacuum. They look great, however, the more I look at them the more the color discrepancy bugs me. Oh well, I’ll keep my eyes out for other option and use these seats in the meantime. The first pic is the drivers seat bottom before cleaning. The next pic is after. Seats are still slightly wet. I didn’t take a after pic of the seat frame.
C44FC743-E519-44E2-8C40-D5C60C9B8FE7.jpeg

55B2198F-9E21-44CD-A807-8E861FB3D254.jpeg

6F01990B-E0F6-4B2C-BAF3-B57854ECDD2F.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Great work on the car! I just read your whole thread.
I just finished redoing the seats in my ‘91 with Acme seat covers and TMI foam. Major pain but turned out great.
Anyway I have a question. My seats are nothing like yours. Mine are the “sport” saets that have the lumbar supports and adjustable side bolsters and knee bolsters. All the V8 cars I’ve seen have been close to mine. Your seats look like the ones that were in my ‘87 4 cylinder car. Was your car originally a 4 cylinder or were the seats like you have optional?

V8 coupes didn't get sports seats until 1991. 1987-1990 coupes, V8 or 4 cylinder, have the same seats.

What do you think of the Acme seat covers? How do they compare to the TMI covers?

Sorry for the hijack Cheapskate207.

No problem @pats91

Thanks! I hope you enjoyed it. @Dan02gt To answer your original question, my car is an original 5.0 5 speed. @pats91 is correct with the above statement. The only thing I’ll add is that all 4 bangers had the standard seats. Also, 5.0 hatchback LX got the sport seats as an option in 89. Prior to that, all 5.0 LX’s had the standard seats, as standard equipment.

V8 coupes didn't get sports seats until 1991. 1987-1990 coupes, V8 or 4 cylinder, have the same seats.

What do you think of the Acme seat covers? How do they compare to the TMI covers?

Sorry for the hijack Cheapskate207.
Learn something new everyday.

The Acme seat covers seem nice the pattern isn't exactly like the factory but they look good. The front turned out great, but were a epic pain to install.
The rear looks ok as you have to reuse the factory foam and the covers are a little to large so the fabric is not as tight as I would like it.

I haven't seen the TMI seat covers. I just used their foam.

In this picture the Acme in on the driver's seat and factory on the passenger seat.
IMG_0272 (2).jpg

I have to say my original sport seats weren't bad 14 years ago,but I daily her and they became old and uncomfortable,I swapped drivers for passengers for a couple of years,then I looked into new foam and upholstery($600-$800) and doing it myself. I decided to buy new.Cyber Monday I ordered my new Corbeau sport seats($592 total). Install was a breeze, just modified stock seat brackets and the are in like Flynn.Have to say best seats I've rode in . Look and feel awsome. And my car wasn't down but an afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_20201217_194346_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20201217_194346_hdr.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20201218_133447_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20201218_133447_hdr.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20201218_133429_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20201218_133429_hdr.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20201222_135812_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20201222_135812_hdr.jpg