Progress Thread The Ragged Gt Thread-little To No Progress Made-Garage Art

• Sponsors (?)

Have a few more parts on order,some more cleaning-painting-etc to do before I put the transmission in-couple things I’ve cleaned/painted
1E292751-B776-49EF-992A-C264C2E772CF.jpeg
DCA0A972-8904-4FD2-80C8-ACE87CF5E513.jpeg
2694B522-96F5-452C-92C2-E102478251F2.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Non picture update.
Transmission is in. Driveshaft etc all out back in-held up by the lack of 4 nuts.... cause I forgot I needed new nuts for the header collectors... Next update will have pics

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
So I’m not a liar-here’s an update pic....
3C23A52D-1E4A-4A9F-93EF-E8D0D463862B.jpeg

Last update I mentioned being at a stand still over 4 nuts.
I got the nuts I needed,and now I’m at a stand still again.
I have had 4 different brands/lengths/styles sets of headers on this car-every set I used the same stock header bolts.
Throw the BBk’s on today,most of my bolts won’t fit...... So again,held up by a simple fastener... Will update with the next stupid issue I run into

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
So I’m not a liar-here’s an update pic....
3C23A52D-1E4A-4A9F-93EF-E8D0D463862B.jpeg

Last update I mentioned being at a stand still over 4 nuts.
I got the nuts I needed,and now I’m at a stand still again.
I have had 4 different brands/lengths/styles sets of headers on this car-every set I used the same stock header bolts.
Throw the BBk’s on today,most of my bolts won’t fit...... So again,held up by a simple fastener... Will update with the next stupid issue I run into
If recall those headers fit super tight. I loosened the nut on the motor mounts and jacked the motor up to get the bolts to wiggle and snug up.

Long pictureless update;Venting time.....
If I ever have another week like I’ve just had trying to work on this car.. I’ll burn the Fuggin’ thing to the ground.
New header bolts -still can’t get the very front one on the driver side started.
Decide to take the line off the back of the power steering pump for more room. Clamp off,twist the line-nipple breaks off..
Not defeated yet-I remove the pulley off the pump,no big deal. Take the first two inverted torx bolts out of the pump-easy peasey-third bolt immediately rounds off.
Frustration has risen extremely-but I press on,take the four bolts out of the ac compressor,take the three bolts out of the bracket-and remove the pump/bracket together.
Now I have all kinds of room to see, that with the very rear and one middle header bolt installed... The fuggin’ flange doesn’t line up ON THAT ONE BOLT HOLE IN THE HEAD!!!!
Nuclear levels of mad have been reached. Tools are contemplating being thrown,fire setting is being plotted.
I closed the garage door and came in the house. Maybe I’ll have a better night at work here in a couple hours....
And tomorrow I will drill out that one stupid hole so the bolt lines up. I will order a new P.steering pump resivoir. And I’ll look at the coolant leak that has gradually gotten worse from the port in the intake where the heater hose and temp sensor go.
Also five gallons of gas,a rag,and a zippo just in case :D

• Surprised
Not sure if this is your problem, but if the headers you have are the kind without a common-rail for the exhaust flanges (best term I could come up with), then get a buddy with a pretty solid broom stick, wedge it behind the front flange and use the K-member as a fulcrum to stretch the front primary enough to get the bolt started. It's a little trick I learned back in the day with some MAC shorties. I'll never buy another set of headers without a common-rail flange set up, where they're all attached to one another so that no stretching is necessary.

Not sure if this is your problem, but if the headers you have are the kind without a common-rail for the exhaust flanges (best term I could come up with), then get a buddy with a pretty solid broom stick, wedge it behind the front flange and use the K-member as a fulcrum to stretch the front primary enough to get the bolt started. It's a little trick I learned back in the day with some MAC shorties. I'll never buy another set of headers without a common-rail flange set up, where they're all attached to one another so that no stretching is necessary.
That actually makes perfect sense.i did not try that due to the fits of rage I was about to have lol. I’ll give that a shot tomorrow-Before the fire and what not

• Haha

I have a set of MAC on mine and I made the mistake of taking the passenger side off (don’t even remember why). Anyway, I had to drill out the holes and use a pry bar to get em back on! I will definitely go with “common flange” if I ever buy another set!

Oh yeah, and if I remember right, the header gaskets I had (assuming you're using gaskets) had sort of hangars instead of just holes on the outer bolts so you could get the outer bolts started and slide the gasket on afterwards. Just another neural firing. It might be a PITA to try and line the gasket up at the same time.