The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

• Sponsors (?)

Get ready:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsIB3-t2j3A

Here it comes:

View: https://youtu.be/fkLSSeJ5yxI

Well... :poo:...

View: https://youtu.be/9Jz1TjCphXE

AW HELL NAW! Wait a damned minute... It's not going down like that. Not after an eight-hour marathon that included a trip to Napa and Wal-Mart. Hang on a damned minute.

View: https://youtu.be/AMq2PT4RhdE

View: https://youtu.be/FUMi1XLDPg8

View: https://youtu.be/t7lPLwtIHMs

Now, there's still work to be done for it to actually be drivable. The new tail-lights aren't connected yet, it still has crud in the cooling system, and it still needs an alignment. There's also new front shocks, spring isolators, and some bushings in the trunk, and it obviously needs paint and body work... and the interior desperately needs help. Tomorrow night I'm tackling the tail-lights, then it's going to the dealership with me on Saturday for an alignment, cooling system flush with our BG machine, and some time on the lift to double-check a lot of things after it sat for two years not moving.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It's Alive!

Muuhuuhahahahahahaha.

GG_Frankenstein-Its-Alive.gif

Were driving it now!

Cruzin for burgers (triumphant horn blowing0

Nothing gonna stop us

Tail lights ~Bah who needs em cant see em drivers seat anyway
cooling system crud ~ its still wet, kind of
alignment ~ were only making right hand turns so no need
new chit ~hey the old is still bolted on
paint and body ~ha ha ha
interior ~ some day like every body else

your list is dealt with, your welcome!
Now Lets Cruize Baby!

For the record, Spectra's tank, straps, and sending unit fit like a glove, and whoever Classic Auto Reproductions sourced the fuel tank seal from did such a good job molding it for a tight seal that it took extra Vaseline to get the fuel filler neck into the tank.

Reactions: 2 users
Details details. I'm with 2Blue.

That's why my wife asked why the hell I was washing the wheel wells in the garage the other day. I explained it was on jack stands and I was at a stopping point otherwise. Why else?

She laughed and claims it was because I couldn't wait to drive it when it was actually running last month. Since the barn doesn't have a driveway yet. There were complications she explained. Needless to say there was mud everywhere.

But I made it to pavement!

All the way to the stop sign and back!

Disregard needing the tractors 4x4 to pull it back to the barn. It was a success!!!

Love hearing another one come back to life. She sounds great!

Reactions: 1 user
Check out my working fuel gauge!

View: https://youtu.be/q5Ifwj5ZU-0

Just took her for a drive, and gave it the beans...

Something isn't right. She's running short of air or fuel way too early. My suspicion is air, given the new air cleaner, but with one of the fuel filters still needing replacement, and the 5/16" feed into the pump instead of MSD's recommended 3/8, it could be either. We'll see. I'll pick up the other filter I ordered from Napa tomorrow and change that first.

Reactions: 1 users
Check out my working fuel gauge!

View: https://youtu.be/q5Ifwj5ZU-0

Just took her for a drive, and gave it the beans...

Something isn't right. She's running short of air or fuel way too early. My suspicion is air, given the new air cleaner, but with one of the fuel filters still needing replacement, and the 5/16" feed into the pump instead of MSD's recommended 3/8, it could be either. We'll see. I'll pick up the other filter I ordered from Napa tomorrow and change that first.

It's fuel. Past 4500rpm it falls flat and pings a bit. Up to that it pulls real nice.

With the air shocks gone, the manual steering, and a fresh alignment, it drives the best it ever has.

Reactions: 3 users
@CarMichael Angelo

Feel free to tell me you told me so.

You gave me advice on the rear suspension a little over three years ago, and I initially argued with you, then took half of it.

I already ditched the air shocks, and I don't think I like my traction bars.

They make the car hook like it's on slicks, even on 205/55/16 street radials (seriously, Kurt know what he's doing when he makes these), but they pop and clunk, they make big bumps in the road even more unpleasant with the noises they make, and they're yet another ground clearance issue for this car full of them. It rides fine, and I don't feel any ill effects on the handling in the all of five miles I've driven it so far, but that damned noise has got to go.

Go on, say it.

Last edited:
Yeah, those things look like a carb, forgot you did the 'fake carb' thing, sorry.
It mimics a carb real damned well sometimes. Like when it decides it doesn't like the weather... just like a damned carb... or that it wants me to feed it throttle on a cold start, just like a damned carb... or I have to adjust the idle speed screws... just like a damned carb.

Other times, it's nothing like a carb. Car sits a week? Still fires up, still primed with fuel, which doesn't happen with a carb with the modern E10-15 fuel :)poo: evaporates too fast). Hot starts? No problem. Vapor lock? Not happening.

The MSD Atomic isn't perfect, and I feel that its self-learning/tuning is way too damned slow. It also doesn't take care of all of the carburetor headaches like it promises to, and even though they advertised the hell out of it as a "returnless" system, the truth is, it should be run with a return line in 90% or more installation scenarios, including the current situation with my car now that I ditched the fuel cell for a stock fuel tank.

I feel like this car would be just as good with a 650cfm Edelbrock Thunder AVS carburetor (which is, in all irony, what it had before the EFI system), with the trade-off being that it'd be having to crank the engine to prime the fuel system every time i wanted to drive it if it'd sat for more than a couple of days. Other than that, it was just as convenient, and didn't roll coal like a diesel off idle the way the Atomic randomly does.

The original plan for the EFI conversion was a ported Explorer intake, with the Ford Motorsport spacer so it'd clear the valve covers (which it needs to clear the roller rockers), running 24lb injectors, and using an A9L computer and stock TFI distributor. I even had the engine assembled with all of it, but even with the 3" scoop on the old hood, it didn't clear the Explorer upper! I still wanted fuel injection, and ended up narrowing it down to a system from FAST and this thing. When Advance ran a 20% off coupon for anything at all, I pulled the trigger on this one (paid $2100 including tax back when this system retailed for $2500) since they didn't carry FAST.

If I go with the sensible notion of swapping in a 351W instead of a Coyote, I may go back to a carburetor, or switch to a completely different EFI setup. This 302, while running, and running well, has an awful lot of rusty sludge still in the cooling passages after hours of flushing today, and as I said before, should probably be rebuilt anyway with its history of being beat on mercilessly then stored for long periods of time over and over. If it comes out, it's not going back in, I have other plans for it.

Last edited:
I feel like this car would be just as good with a 650cfm Edelbrock Thunder AVS carburetor (which is, in all irony, what it had before the EFI system), with the trade-off being that it'd be having to crank the engine to prime the fuel system every time i wanted to drive it if it'd sat for more than a couple of days. Other than that, it was just as convenient, and didn't roll coal like a diesel off idle the way the Atomic randomly does.
You can run carburator with a return-less, low-pressure fuel pump. There is a solenoid witch keeps the pump only running when the engine runs AND it will prime the pump for some seconds, when you put the key to "ignition on". You can also jumper this solenoid by an additional switch that you can prime "by hand".