Progress Thread The Tale Of Elsuperpinto (From Back Burner, to Work Bench, to Accidental Progress)

74stang2togo

NERD!
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
@74stang2togo Did you remove the bolt? I've been sitting here thinking about it for a minute.... I think the bolt for the clamp mechanism actually locks onto the main steering shaft through a half-moon notch in said shaft. Seems like I struggled with that for a little while thinking all I had to do was loosen the bolt, but it come apart pretty easily once the bolt was removed - you know since it wasn't physically stopping the removal of the intermediate shaft.... :cool:

I could be wrong and/or you could be done already! Better late than never - unless of course it's in this case!!

I dunno what vehicle this is from (looks like a Fox?), but this is what I'm talking about-

2003-ford-mustang-cobra-remove-lower-pinch-bolt.jpg
I got the nut off the bolt, but the bolt won't budge. Dug out my Ford service manuals and they say to take the whole column out... screw that.

I'll be bringing some "persuasion" home from work for it.

• Sponsors (?)

74stang2togo

NERD!
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
So... big plans for this weekend...

And none of it happened.

On Friday, when I got home from work, the male parental unit wanted his Suburban looked over and brakes attended to prior to a trip to Dallas, so I gave the ol' turd a good looking over and performed an ABS bleed I've been saying it's needed for years with my nifty new SnapOn scan tool (Yay! It actually stops like it should now!) And then it rained.

On Saturday morning I got up early to detail the female parental unit's 2010 Taurus and install new rear shocks... and it rained. The Suburban, however, made it to Dallas and back without incident.

On Sunday, I woke up, and it was raining. Said "screw this" and went back to bed.

GOvert

Jan 27, 2007
north central Tennessee Valley
At least it didn't feel like 100+. There's something about working on the Parents' cars that helps cover the virtual rent. Back in the '70's (1970's) Dad would get/keep the SF Insurance checks whenever Mom would wreck her daily transportation and me and Brother would fix it. (4 times in one year if I can remember back that far). LOL

Reactions: General karthief

74stang2togo

NERD!
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
Nothing much new to report. Saturday was spent re-organizing the garage and getting tools put back in the right places and two new tool boxes set up to make life easier.

• Happy

74stang2togo

NERD!
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
HOLY CRAP! I was digging around my PC, going through it's three messy hard drives looking for something else entirely (I really need to re-organize these things... and back them up...) and I found pics from right after I bought the car!!!

The first several are all from exactly the way I bought it, the last one is from my first attempt to deal with the "hood question", where I enlarged the jagged 9" hole to clear a 14" air cleaner and look much cleaner.
IMAG0401.jpg
IMAG0402.jpg
IMAG0403.jpg
IMAG0405.jpg
IMAG0427.jpg

Pictures from my first days of ownership! HOW FREAKING COOL IS THAT?

74stang2togo

NERD!
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
Well.. it's been four months since I took the power rack out... and the manual rack still hasn't made it in.

Found a girlfriend, dated her awhile, and broke up. (Go figure.) Been busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest, or too tired to mess with it for most of my days off since then (or it's rained, what the hell happened to that damned drought?). Then the two weekends I had time... well... on one, I replaced the entire left front suspension of my mother's Taurus because my father decided to do his best Bo Duke impression by hitting a curb at 60mph and taking the damned thing airborne. Broke the LF wheel, bent the LF strut, and busted the LF balljoint while blowing out that tire and blistering the left rear. There went $600 I didn't have (and they damned sure didn't) on parts I'd just replaced the year before.

I'll get around to it someday... but that'll probably be to sell it. I want to buy a house this summer, and the money from getting rid of that old rustbucket would help, not to mention it wouldn't be an anchor to drag with me to the next place.

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Life always seems to find a way to take over, doesn't it? I've sure had my fair share of setbacks! On the plus side, I already have my house. But the flip side of that is the house seems to always take the time and money away from the toys. Adulting sucks sometimes!!

74stang2togo

NERD!
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
I promised myself I'd get something done on the II this weekend. I really did...

Then this happened: https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/the-rant-thread-whats-eating-you.884392/page-147#post-9163650
I've been up since 2:30 this morning (even on my nights off I don't really sleep, that night shift life yo!). I'm heading out to the salvage yard to look for a replacement transmission pan for the Toyota (even if I find one it's not going on until the five quarts of Aisin WS fluid and the new filter kit get here, so there's no rush to do anything else with the Toyota today) in about an hour, and maybe... just maybe... if I'm not too tired and pissed off when I get back something will happen with the II... no promises though.

Manoah

Jul 28, 2018
San Diego
Quality thread, enjoyed the read. Will read again later. Although I was hoping for more details on you replacing the wiring. Kinda want to replace all the wires on my 75.

74stang2togo

NERD!
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
Quality thread, enjoyed the read. Will read again later. Although I was hoping for more details on you replacing the wiring. Kinda want to replace all the wires on my 75.
For now the previous hack-job wiring has simply been repaired-in-place. Long-term it's getting completely re-wired with a Painless harness.

Does this guy have a build thread anywhere? I’d love to read about what he’s done.
I honestly don't know.

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Life gets in the way YET AGAIN, huh?? I know that feeling all too well!! Sounds like you're lucky enough that it's just the pan you have to replace! While it sucks, it's still better than the alternative!!

Oh the stories I could tell (or better yet, that my friends could tell since they don't let me live that $#!+ down!! lol)
There was this one time, as my friend Josh loves to remind me, that I was putting the 302 back together. After torqueing the rod caps, I couldn't spin the engine and was at a loss as to why. Well, my bright self put them all on backward! lol It was amazing how well it spun after turning them around the right way! No harm done unless you count my ego as being damaged.....

Reactions: Manoah

74stang2togo

NERD!
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
I promised myself I'd get something done on the II this weekend. I really did...

Then this happened: https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/the-rant-thread-whats-eating-you.884392/page-147#post-9163650
I've been up since 2:30 this morning (even on my nights off I don't really sleep, that night shift life yo!). I'm heading out to the salvage yard to look for a replacement transmission pan for the Toyota (even if I find one it's not going on until the five quarts of Aisin WS fluid and the new filter kit get here, so there's no rush to do anything else with the Toyota today) in about an hour, and maybe... just maybe... if I'm not too tired and pissed off when I get back something will happen with the II... no promises though.
Well, found a pan at the yard with the hole knocked in it those jackasses use to drain them (it has a factory drain plug ya imbeciles!), but bought it anyway because it was all of $16. A friend of mine at work is a decent welder, and a wizard with a hammer and dolly, so the salvage yard pan is fixed and now on the 'yota. No II updates yet, but they are coming, I promise.
0331191353.jpg

Nothing a little time with a mig welder and a couple coats of Rustoleum flat black couldn't fix!

Reactions: RaggedGT and 2Blue2