The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

HOLY CRAP! I was digging around my PC, going through it's three messy hard drives looking for something else entirely (I really need to re-organize these things... and back them up...) and I found pics from right after I bought the car!!!

The first several are all from exactly the way I bought it, the last one is from my first attempt to deal with the "hood question", where I enlarged the jagged 9" hole to clear a 14" air cleaner and look much cleaner.
IMAG0401.jpg
IMAG0402.jpg
IMAG0403.jpg
IMAG0405.jpg
IMAG0427.jpg

Pictures from my first days of ownership! HOW FREAKING COOL IS THAT?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I also found this picture of my '75 parked next to my buddy Lyle's '65. This is after I'd riveted down the cowl scoop, but had not yet had it glassed in or primed. It also still had the Flowmaster 40s with dumps.
CAM00083.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I promised myself I'd get something done on the II this weekend. I really did...

Then this happened: https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...whats-eating-you.884392/page-147#post-9163650
I've been up since 2:30 this morning (even on my nights off I don't really sleep, that night shift life yo!). I'm heading out to the salvage yard to look for a replacement transmission pan for the Toyota (even if I find one it's not going on until the five quarts of Aisin WS fluid and the new filter kit get here, so there's no rush to do anything else with the Toyota today) in about an hour, and maybe... just maybe... if I'm not too tired and pissed off when I get back something will happen with the II... no promises though.

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
Quality thread, enjoyed the read. Will read again later. Although I was hoping for more details on you replacing the wiring. Kinda want to replace all the wires on my 75.

Quality thread, enjoyed the read. Will read again later. Although I was hoping for more details on you replacing the wiring. Kinda want to replace all the wires on my 75.
For now the previous hack-job wiring has simply been repaired-in-place. Long-term it's getting completely re-wired with a Painless harness.

Does this guy have a build thread anywhere? I’d love to read about what he’s done.
I honestly don't know.

I promised myself I'd get something done on the II this weekend. I really did...

Then this happened: https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...whats-eating-you.884392/page-147#post-9163650
I've been up since 2:30 this morning (even on my nights off I don't really sleep, that night shift life yo!). I'm heading out to the salvage yard to look for a replacement transmission pan for the Toyota (even if I find one it's not going on until the five quarts of Aisin WS fluid and the new filter kit get here, so there's no rush to do anything else with the Toyota today) in about an hour, and maybe... just maybe... if I'm not too tired and pissed off when I get back something will happen with the II... no promises though.
Well, found a pan at the yard with the hole knocked in it those jackasses use to drain them (it has a factory drain plug ya imbeciles!), but bought it anyway because it was all of $16. A friend of mine at work is a decent welder, and a wizard with a hammer and dolly, so the salvage yard pan is fixed and now on the 'yota. No II updates yet, but they are coming, I promise.
0331191353.jpg

Nothing a little time with a mig welder and a couple coats of Rustoleum flat black couldn't fix!

Oh man that sucks!! And I know what you mean about some of that too. Seems I'm always the first person called when someone has an issue with their car with an unexpressed expectation that I'll do the work. At least it used to be that way anyway, until I moved like 1000 miles away.... I still get calls, but usually more for advice. It's one of the reasons I'm glad I stopped pursuing that career path when I was young. I didn't want to get burned out doing what I really like doing and I feel that that's exactly what would've happened. "Do what you love" they say - I guess it's true in some respects, but man it can get tiring!!

• Agree
I give my kids advice to 'do what they're good at, and that will pay the bills' -- save what you love for a hobby. Mike Rowe (the Dirty Jobs guy) has a great speech on the topic. When I was younger I tried my hand at being a professional mechanic. It was exhausting, and mundane, and it was a sweat-shop environment. 15 minutes for a 4-tire change with balancing and including the test drive. Was very different from working on my own car, at my own pace, with a cold one waiting for me when I was ready for a break. No matter what you do for work, you'll eventually get tired of it -- if it didn't suck, they wouldn't pay you to do it. Would have come to hate working on cars with a passion if I'd have stuck with it. Still love the hobby, even though I'm also the family repair man.

Oh man that sucks!! And I know what you mean about some of that too. Seems I'm always the first person called when someone has an issue with their car with an unexpressed expectation that I'll do the work. At least it used to be that way anyway, until I moved like 1000 miles away.... I still get calls, but usually more for advice. It's one of the reasons I'm glad I stopped pursuing that career path when I was young. I didn't want to get burned out doing what I really like doing and I feel that that's exactly what would've happened. "Do what you love" they say - I guess it's true in some respects, but man it can get tiring!!
I give my kids advice to 'do what they're good at, and that will pay the bills' -- save what you love for a hobby. Mike Rowe (the Dirty Jobs guy) has a great speech on the topic. When I was younger I tried my hand at being a professional mechanic. It was exhausting, and mundane, and it was a sweat-shop environment. 15 minutes for a 4-tire change with balancing and including the test drive. Was very different from working on my own car, at my own pace, with a cold one waiting for me when I was ready for a break. No matter what you do for work, you'll eventually get tired of it -- if it didn't suck, they wouldn't pay you to do it. Would have come to hate working on cars with a passion if I'd have stuck with it. Still love the hobby, even though I'm also the family repair man.

My advice for everyone thinking about getting into the business of working on cars is "don't".

After you've done it awhile, you're so jaded about cars that even getting to drive a twin-turbo V8 monster wit massaging seats (Mercedes S550) does nothing for you. You get to the point that you hate working on everything, and wish you'd spent the $50-100k a good tech has spent on tools to go to school and be an engineer so you could've been the college-educated pencil-pushing prick that thought internal waterpumps were a good idea instead of the poor :leghump: that has to fix it.

Throw in the miserable working conditions, the constant exposure to carcinogens, and the stress of flat-rate pay, and well... I hate it. I hate cars.

My advice for everyone thinking about getting into the business of working on cars is "don't".

After you've done it awhile, you're so jaded about cars that even getting to drive a twin-turbo V8 monster wit massaging seats (Mercedes S550) does nothing for you. You get to the point that you hate working on everything, and wish you'd spent the $50-100k a good tech has spent on tools to go to school and be an engineer so you could've been the college-educated pencil-pushing prick that thought internal waterpumps were a good idea instead of the poor :leghump: that has to fix it.

Throw in the miserable working conditions, the constant exposure to carcinogens, and the stress of flat-rate pay, and well... I hate it. I hate cars.
I mostly agree with this statement.
I spent 15 years in the automotive repair field . The last 10 years I worked for a company that did general automotive, specializing in heat and AC. Industrial radiator/cooler repair and fuel tank renu. So while I was fortunate that I could have a change of pace at the company-doing AC work today and radiator recore’s the next. It gets old and working on a commission/budget/flat rate wears on ya.
When I made the change from automotive to bus repair- working for the state on city buses, for a very good salary and Benefits package. Is something I wish I would have done years ago.

Reactions: 1 user