The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

• Sponsors (?)

DISCLAIMER: This post is pretty much a :poo:post, primarily me collecting some scattered thoughts about what needs to be done to the II before I go to bed for the night. It might be edited and/or deleted without notice.

Believe it or not, I actually worked on ElSuperPinto tonight. Nothing actually got done, that same stubborn bolt that brought everything to a screeching halt nearly two years ago still insists on not coming out of the steering shaft. All of my better "tools of persuasion" for that little bastard are at work, so nothing more was getting done tonight.

The rest of this week's weather forcast looks like this:

weather.png

and my essential ass works Saturday, so that leaves Sunday of this week, which, depending on how quickly that 46 degrees turns into at least 55ish, and whether or not the ground is wet under the II, I might get something done.

As I've mentioned... a lot, there is much to be done. At this point, I'm thinking getting it driveable should be priority number one, as COVID19 destroying my paychecks has pushed the Coyote/3650 swap into "Never Never Land" for now, as I'm not even keeping the bills paid with what I'm taking home. If it's driveable, I can sell the 4Runner and lose the car payment if things continue to get worse financially, or sell the II to catch up on bills, it's worth a lot more running and driving than it is in pieces. If it's not driveable, I'm paying insurance on a junk car.

The bare minimum to get it moving again is to get a rack-and-pinion back in it, and re-assemble the pieces taken apart to access it, replace the battery that's gone completely dead and won't take a charge, change the oil and filter, flush the cooling system, air up the tires, install the new fuel tank, and clean and inspect the brakes. If it wasn't for having to modify the steering shaft, I could say with absolute certainty that everything but the battery could be 100% done from that list on Sunday.

I still have the leaking power rack in the garage... I could always slap it back in there (without the pump or hoses) and take the II to the shop on a Saturday that I'm off to do the manual rack swap with my full arsenal of power tools, punches, cutting tools, and more at my disposal, (and a lift!!!) not to mention it could go straight to the alignment rack when done.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
did you ever put together that electric power steering? did you find anyone that sells a complete unit? im incapable of creating my own, but id like to to do this swap.

did you ever put together that electric power steering? did you find anyone that sells a complete unit? im incapable of creating my own, but id like to to do this swap.
Not yet.

I highly doubt there will ever be a bolt-in kit for IIs.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
I hear you. Other than a really nice day yesterday the weather here sucks. We're supposed to get snow again this weekend.
I like the plan for the steering.

I actually worked on ElSuperPinto at work today, even though the car was at home.

We have one of these at work:

The fuel filler neck I ordered from Phil showed up with about an 1/8" thick layer of rusty crud built up inside when I got it about a year ago. I took it with me to the shop, and put it in the parts washer for an hour, which resulted in a noticeable improvement.

After that, I ran it through with one of these:

I chucked my new toy up in the drill and got to work. The clouds of rusty dust were impressive, and ALL of the loose stuff was successfully knocked loose.

I then capped the filler neck off with a nitrile glove and some zip ties (which leaked a little, by the way), and filled it with this:

Then I capped the other end the same way (which also leaked), and rotated which end of the fuel filler neck was up every 15-30 minutes for the next three hours. After emptying it, I was rewarded with a fuel filler neck that is ready to rock-and-roll!

Yes, progress was finally made on ElSuperPinto.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
It rained yesterday, so no big progress.

However, today, I'm so busy being "essential" that I started doing a thing...

20200413_141535.jpg
20200413_151032.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
20200413_182240.jpg

Finished fitting and gluing. Still need to seal with silicone, figure out new lens seals, and polish polish polish... then do the other side.

• Love

I can't find the hardware for my new Moog tie rod ends, nor the castle nuts for the originals still on the old rack, but I found a pair of N.O.S. TRW tie rod ends for $15 for the pair on Ebay last night when I couldn't sleep. If anyone else needs a pair, that's a hell of a deal on a pair of them from the OEM supplier.

Couldn't get the right side taillight done today, started on it, but just got too busy (for once) at work.