The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

Got me thinking about Jeff's Mach and the last time we had both cars together. It'll be 10 years this Memorial Day weekend. Here's a link to my post from around that time with more pics....

• Sponsors (?)

So. That little piece of aluminum from the cold air intake kit was successfully used to mount the coil, though I wonder about the long-term durability. This may be revisited in short order.

20200306_174902.jpg

20200306_181419.jpg

Speaking of revisiting things, while attempting, unsuccessfully, to install the heat shield on the air filter, I decided I hated the whole damned thing, was overthinking the hell out of it, and did... that.

On the one hand, the air it draws in is no hotter than if it was running a 14" traditional air cleaner, but on the other it looks weird. This is probably getting revisited too.

:leghump: it, I need whiskey, the one that helped @2Blue2 get his new CT. :D

Reactions: 1 users
Why not just leave it out in the front of the engine compartment like it was without the heat shield? That's more or less how I had the air cleaner set up in my old 84 when I swapped the 5.0 in. Like you said, it won't be sucking air any different than a standard air cleaner anyway, but at least while in motion it may be a little cooler...?

WTF is Kenneth :shrug:

Oh and... You still need to shroud that air filter :p

Post #387

My friend Kenneth, who previously gave me the Tremec, all of the associated parts, and the air filter for my CAI, gave me a set of pedal pads and a billet radiator cap on my last night working at Carmax. I've been trying to get him to join the forum and show all of you his INSANE 2004 Mach 1 for the better part of three years. I'm going to send him this update, so everyone say hi to Kenneth!

Reactions: 2 users
IMAG0894.jpg
IMAG0895.jpg
IMAG0896.jpg

I've mentioned the in-progress 302-swap into the '77 Capri Mk II a few times, but provided very little in the way of pictures. Here's how it kinda sits now. These pictures were taken when the engine was just set into place to verify it'd fit, but before it had been centered or bolted to anything (I think it was sitting on the garbage adapter plates Team Blitz sells and a pair of 2x4s.).

Since then, the engine has been centered, and a transmission crossmember for the 1995 Mustang GT T5 that's behind it was fabricated and bolted in. Some Nissan motor mounts were used to provide insulation and space between the Team Blitz engine mount adapter plates and the front K-member.

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users
Width wise it fits very nicely.
You always give the best CT material.

Accessories fit fine... at least what I briefly mocked up. Radiators... well... getting my old man to understand that he's going to have to cut the battery tray or deal with at least the tank of a radiator hanging down below the bumper is a challenge, to say the least.

IMAG0894.jpg
IMAG0895.jpg
IMAG0896.jpg

I've mentioned the in-progress 302-swap into the '77 Capri Mk II a few times, but provided very little in the way of pictures. Here's how it kinda sits now. These pictures were taken when the engine was just set into place to verify it'd fit, but before it had been centered or bolted to anything (I think it was sitting on the garbage adapter plates Team Blitz sells and a pair of 2x4s.).

Since then, the engine has been centered, and a transmission crossmember for the 1995 Mustang GT T5 that's behind it was fabricated and bolted in. Some Nissan motor mounts were used to provide insulation and space between the Team Blitz engine mount adapter plates and the front K-member.
Some more about the Capri:

I call this car "The Bastard". So far, it has parts from SIX different Mustangs, and parts "for" several others.

The engine is the one I pulled out of my gold '76 Ghia when I parted it out. It's a 302 bored .040" over with flat-top pistons. It has a mild cam from Summit (their house brand), an Edelbrock Performer 289 intake I was lucky enough to find on an 80s Crown Vic of all things at the salvage yard, and a 600cfm Holley carburetor (couldn't convince the old man to go EFI, or 4.6 4v for that matter).

The MSD 6AL box it'll be running was originally in ElSuperPinto (it got waterlogged during a downpour with the old cowl hood, and I needed the car running two days later, so I bought a new 6AL digital), and was rebuilt by MSD. The Accel coil was from the '74 Ghia I parted out ten years ago. The headers are from a fox-body GT that I found in the salvage yard, and the transmission is a T5 from a 1995 GT (which fits like it belongs there, even putting the shifter in the center of the hole in the floor, though we still had to enlarge the hole because the T5 shifter is larger). The shift knob on the LMR shifter for it is from my 2009 GT/CS.

To mate the old '76 engine to the '95 transmission, the flywheel and clutch specified for a '79 Mustang 5.0 were used, and everything fit without issue. The current radiator that I'm trying to talk my dad out of using in favor of a 3.8L Camaro radiator is one from Spectra for a '68 Mustang that struggled to keep either 308 cool in the gold II or ElSuperPinto, but it does almost fit, so we'll see. I've seen the 3.8L Camaro radiator used successfully in other V8 II swaps, but my dad doesn't want to cut or cut out the battery tray to make it fit. I think the '95 Mustang's transmission mount is what got used to bolt it to the crossmember I fabricated from leftover brackets for a grille guard for my F150 (long story).

It still has no exhaust, the wiring that wasn't worth a :poo: when new is shot and rat-chewed throughout, and I can't get my dad to quit picking at something else on the car every time he digs it out of the garage (literally, it stays buried under a mountain of junk most of the time) and finish any of the dozen or so other things that are partially finished on it. The gas tank needs to be dropped and cleaned. The "Atlas" rear axle needs to be swapped for the 8" from the '76 II, something desperately needs to be done about the retarded non-ventilated solid front brake rotors Ford Deutschland somehow thought were a good idea in the 1970s, I'm sure the suspension needs attention now that the car's sat non-running since 2008 or so, and there's rust in both rockers (minor) and the rear quarters (not so minor) that need fixing somehow (I'm advocating a Zakspeed widebody kit after cutting, sanding, priming and painting the rust just to stop the spread since quarter panels for this thing are unobtanium).

I'm almost tempted to sell ElSuperPinto, and the Capri's current drivetrain, and go "super secret powertrain swap that most of you have figured out by now" on the Capri... but that particular engine has been done in a Capri already, believe it or not...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHG-coG2Izc

(Yes, I'm aware I just let the coyo... I mean cat... out of the bag.)

That one's badass! And I recognize that blue 82 GT that was in the frame a couple times from somewhere.

How do those Fox headers fit in the Capri - any issues anywhere you had to deal with? And how lucky are you that you were able to score those and an intake from a salvage yard! Anywhere I've been in the last, let's say 10 years, I've not been able to find anything good like that....

That one's badass! And I recognize that blue 82 GT that was in the frame a couple times from somewhere.

How do those Fox headers fit in the Capri - any issues anywhere you had to deal with? And how lucky are you that you were able to score those and an intake from a salvage yard! Anywhere I've been in the last, let's say 10 years, I've not been able to find anything good like that....
The fox headers fit like stock once I took a ball-peen hammer to the primary tube that rubbed the steering shaft.

It's so dead at work that I may ask if I can drag ElSuperPinto to the shop... we'll see.

In the meantime... here's where we're at:

Cold(hot) air setup has been fabricated... twice... and may change again.

Radiator is half empty and what's there is weird and gunk-y... Need to get to the bottom of that.

Engine looks like :poo: from sitting outside under that leaking cowl hood for the better part of three years, so there needs to be something done about that.

There is still no steering rack in the car (this will need to be addressed before it gets drug to the shop).

The paint has degraded to the point that I have a rust pinhole near the decklid of the passenger quarter panel (this thing is starting to feel like the USS Texas).

The passenger side header is still not bolted to the car, the battery is still lost in the garage somewhere. The passenger side spark plugs are only hand-tight, there is no fuel tank in the car, and the engine is not actually bolted to it's motor mounts at the moment.

The ignition coil has been succesfully relocated from the bracket that once held the power steering pump and A/C compressor to a piece of aluminum that came with the CAI kit.

The super-secret-engine-swap isn't so super-secret anymore.

The spare C4 transmission is on Craigslist (had an email on it today, texted the guy, got no answer, figures).

The Capri is now also being documented, sort-of, in this thread.

Oh... and ummm... there's some top-secret German parts that will be on the II soon...

Reactions: 3 users
I went to work on ElSuperPinto today, and ended up working on cleaning the garage instead for the most part.

Good news is that all of the bits and pieces for the II have been located and put in the trunk of the II.

The better news is that I actually did get something done on the II, that RJS fuel cell is out of the trunk.

20200329_181428.jpg

The bad news is, the nuts for the new outer tie rod ends are missing.

Anyone want a crappy fuel cell? I'll sell it to ya cheap.

• Haha