The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

800px-Opel_Manta_B_tuning.jpg

Termi Hood. heh

• Sponsors (?)

I was curious: you can get these aftermarket units in Europe. Wonder if they ship to the US and how much work it would actually be to modify them a little like how I'm thinking.... :chin

I also started to thinking immediate about such a swap. But i looks like they cut up the lower section of the fenders... But you could shorten the manta front bumper. I always need to be able to get it back to OEM if TÜV is not happy...

In the link @LILCBRA send there is also a bumper from a Opel Ascona B400 that is not going that far back to the fenders. I did some googlefu and found a picture of Walter Röhrl who was driving at one point in his carrer Opel Ascona:
Opel-Ascona-400-Ascona-A-Kadett-GTE-Walter-R_hrl-Rallye-Weltmeister-Europameister-Classic-Cars-Oldtimer-21.jpg

I'm posting this, because he is THE famous german driver. Driving the Audi Quattro was also the high point of european rallye cars (some years later the cars where detuned because there was a big crash with many spectators involved). Here some impressions:

He is still holding the record on pikes peak as long it was unpaved.
Sorry for this excursion... but I need to.

Reactions: 2 users
Seems that the car was sold in the Netherlands in March this year. Here are still some more pictures:
https://www.catawiki.de/l/35601771-ford-mustang-ii-ghia-60h-aut-1978

It is bolted onto the fenders, as it's done on the original car. There is a recess on the wheel arch:
$_59.JPG

20b4e3a5-1f12-4ccb-a031-65f85923f566.jpg

The fit is not perfect in its stock form, but quite okay!
Cutting up the side, make it a tiny bit wider on the headlights and elongate the top of the bumper so that it can be mounted 1/2'' more to the front... that would look perfect.
For me the recess for the license plate is perfect, because I have to use this single-line one that is on shown on the Manta pictures in post #438
Sorry again for capturing your thread.

Reactions: 2 users
More parts for the II are in.

If I haven't already mentioned it, I ordered a no-name Chinese-made IAC for the MSD Atomic and installed it... haven't started the car yet, kind of scared to...

I also ordered a Carter electric fuel pump for the reversion to carburetion, I just need to figure out what thread I need for the oil pressure shut-off-switch I'll be installing, and where I'll install the inertia switch.

Reactions: 1 users
We are now open for business again...

ElSuperPinto, as of this afternoon, is no longer a Coyote-swap candidate at this time.

It is instead a 4.6 DOHC-swap candidate.

I have sourced a Lincoln Mark VIII engine for $200. This is much cheaper than the approximately $6000 a Coyote engine was going to run.

I've also decided to do the more difficult and stupid thing, and swap a set of Aviator/Cobra/Mach valve covers and coils on to it to hide the entire ignition system, and either make adapters for the Sullivan 4-bbl intake or source a set of later heads from a non split-port DOHC 4.6 engine.

Regardless, the end result should be something like this:

IMG_7194.jpg

Or this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Or maybe this:

0carbb-jpg.jpg

The point being, it's gonna look good. It's gonna look damned good.

You know who's fault this is???

This guy:

mustangbuild358-jpg.jpg

If you recognize that engine, you know who I'm talking about. He's been referenced and even posted a few times in this thread.

In his build thread, he was getting teased for going with the 2JZ instead of the Coyote or LS, and he said something that struck a :leghump:ing chord.

And i’ve said it before Joe,...That is one ugly sonofabitch. It isn’t about simple with me,...it’s about how it looks when you lift the hood. If all I wanted was some solution to putting a reliable engine in the car that could make reliable, decent power,...i’d have some windsor under the hood.

I’ve seen those shows as well sir. I see it this way,..If I have to cover up an engine to try and hide it because it can’t be made to look good because it’s a cluster of wires, connectors, and hoses, I’m not having one. As common as a windsor in a fox is, there is still a degree of individuality that can be added to the engine that doesn’t make it one more of the same damn thing.
( Albeit a slight difference,..and it too is a cluster of wires, connectors and hoses).
When buying this kit is as far as you can go to personalize your engine compartment..with different pieces of plastic....
1596717001406.jpeg

I’d hate to be the aftermarket for one of these engines.

Can you imagine an S 550 car show? ( and there are now row after row of them at any that you go to) Those guys may as well keep their hoods closed, because this is the new belly button. While a I’m at it, They may as well not bother with engine paint either...whose gonna see that rusted ass bitch under that stuff anyway?

*edit...I did find this..A swapped into a fox coyote transplant..
1596720137029.jpeg

wiring is there it appears, and no hoses yet...but that does look like a tubular k member down there..the aftermarket controller is mounted to the frame rail..I guess this is about as clean as it gets with one of these.

I love the engine I chose for this car more and more everyday.

I had my heart set on a Coyote swap, hoping to be the first to put one in a II... Then I started trying to talk myself into a built roller-cam Windsor... But in the end, if I do the Coyote swap, when I open the hood, Mike's right, it's going to look like every other Coyote. It'll be the same plastic cover that everyone sees. The Windsor's better, but it's all been done before. There's just not really any choices there. The 4.6 has been done so infrequently overall (and only one other time in a II to my knowledge) that there are a lot of ways I can do it differently. Now, I won't be the first to put a 4.6 4V into a II, but if I go through with running it with a Carb and an MSD Mod 6 controller, I can make it look gorgeous. So what it won't make 400 horses at the flywheel, it's going to be close enough to that if the dyno runs I've seen on Youtube are any indication. It'll put me in a bind for what to do about a hood, but I don't care... I'll make it a garage queen and not even run a hood if I can make it look like as good as the 4.6s above or better, who the hell wouldn't want to show that off? My drag racing days are long gone, and if I can make an engine that looks and sounds as good as some of those 4.6s I posted (I've seen some of them running on youtube), and have it be dead reliable, and fun... I think I'll be happy with it... and if not... I'll have a Teksid block and the perfect engine to start cramming boost into... and/or a transmission and motor mount setup that a Coyote will bolt to in the car already.

EDIT: I just noticed the pinstripe around the engine compartment in Mike's car for the first time. I've looked at that car's pictures dozens of times over the years, and details still pop out to me from time-to-time.

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I've dunno how many times you might have torn into one of these and I'm fairly certain that you already know (but I'll mention it anyway), I think Bill knows all the deepest darkest secrets of that motor.

Something else that keeps popping into my head for some damned reason when these motors come up...

PHASE ADJUSTERS!!!!!
nervous dog.gif

I have no idea what it means :shrug:

I've dunno how many times you might have torn into one of these and I'm fairly certain that you already know (but I'll mention it anyway), I think Bill knows all the deepest darkest secrets of that motor.

Something else that keeps popping into my head for some damned reason when these motors come up...

PHASE ADJUSTERS!!!!!
nervous dog.gif

That's the 3V, 4Vs don't have them.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
So... until the new engine is ready to be forced down ElSuperPinto's throat, I still have the old engine. Seeing as I've been too lazy to make the time to switch to the carburetor, and I wanted to get the MSD Atomic working correctly before I sold it... I've merely installed the new IAC, but haven't performed the re-learn or started the car... until five minutes ago...

The cheap Chinese IAC from Amazon no worky either. There's no vacuum leaks, hell, other than the brake booster there's no vacuum connections, period, on this engine. You can just hear air sucking through the IAC ports on the throttle body even though the handheld says it's closed and the throttle adjustment screws are turned so far out that they're rattling and threatening to fall out. Dangle a rubber glove into the throttle body and the IAC passage suck it to themselves and the engine stalls, starved of air.

Either the two cheap Chinese IACs I've ordered from Amazon and Rock Auto were both bad, or the MSD Atomic's control module is bad. I think I'll throw a $5 boneyard IAC on it like I did a few years ago, and if that don't fix it, I'll sell the system as-is for $400 (a $1700 loss thanks to MSD's crappy engineering).

• Dislike

PHASE ADJUSTERS!!!!!
nervous dog.gif

That's the 3V, 4Vs don't have them.
Besides, even if it did, cam phasers don't scare me:
0526191510-jpg.jpg

(The Taurus engine from earlier in this thread when I replaced it's water pump, R&R of the cam phasers is part of that job.)

Hmmm..... should I give my guesses as to what ol Elsuperpinto will be powered by....?? Hmmm......

My thoughts are Ford power but not a new 5.0, something with around an advertised horsepower rating of 300 or so. I won't say exactly what I think, I'll wait until I'm surprised with the answer! :shrug:

I'll defer back to my previous post but maybe the HP is off a little. I was referring to a 32v 4.6 from a Mach 1, but any 32v 4.6 would work. If you're saying no to Ford power I'm stumped....

Apparently my Spidey senses worked (for once)!! :banana:

Apparently my Spidey senses worked (for once)!! :banana:
It really wasn't going to be. It was going to be a Coyote. Then Mike's comment on how they all look alike struck a nerve, and I started just casually playing with the idea of a boneyard 4.6 (initially thinking SOHC 2v, no less), when I started going further down the rabbit hole and bounced the idea off a few modular guys at work, when one let me know he had a 4v I could have for $200. That sealed the deal. The even better news is that every single part I'd acquired so far for the 'yote fits the 4V as well.