The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

20200415_131852.jpg
20200415_132044.jpg

Working on the right side on my lunch break. Got the screws soaking in a brake cleaner cap full of Metal Rescue.

Attachments

• 20200415_131852.jpg
    20200415_131852.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

20200415_173225.jpg

Oh snap.

The center on the right side could be better, the plastic is sun-etched and has a crack, but it's what I had to work with. I'm happy with them overall. Will probably cut up the donot housings to center the middle lights tomorrow, but the taillights, as they appear in the picture, will be on the car tonight.

(I'm also thinking about retrofitting them with sequential LEDs... we'll see.)

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
20200415_195242.jpg

Got them installed on the car. I've wanted to do the all-red tails on all of my IIs, but this is the first one I've followed through on.

Reactions: 4 users
Seems like I've seen someone who either made or was able to buy an LED kit for II tail lights. I remember seeing a square circuit board with a number of LEDs that fit within the housing, but I'll be damned if I remember where I've seen it.

Finally found a part I've been trying to find for the Capri for ten damned years... and they want more for it than I paid for the car itself!

I paid $199.99 for the whole damned car!

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
So, I was digging around on the three hard drives in the computer again, and I found pics of both of my black S197 cars!

This one was a 2010 GT base model I bought in June of 2010. I absolutely loved that car, but a year later, I had the chance to get out from under that $540 a month car note and took it. I know I said earlier in the thread that I don't get sentimental about cars, and taking the offer to sell this one, a car I'd waited on for over a year after falling in love with the redesign in a Mustang magazine the year before was one of the two that "broke" me of that (the other being selling what was left of my grandfather's pickup that was too far gone to be worth saving for scrap after selling the powertrain out of it). This car was everything I wanted, 5spd trans, that mean 4.6 3v under the hood, long, fast, black... I bolted a set of UPR rear control arms under it, a Hurst Pistol Grip shifter in it, and a Pypes "Pype Bomb" axle-back in the rear for noise, and it was perfect for a daily. I'd go drive 40 or 50 miles after work just for the hell of it in this thing.

IMG00046.jpg

I thought lightning had struck twice when I found another black 2010 GT with a stick at the Ford dealership four years later, but I bought this 2009 GT/CS instead, because it was much cleaner, had much lower miles, and was SO much nicer, even if I prefered the 2010's overall styling. I don't miss this car at all. It was in the shop at three different dealerships in the first two months I owned it for a radio failure, a throttle body failure, and a transmission failure, all before the car had 17,000 miles on it. The only mod I did to this car was to install an MGW shifter while it was getting the new transmission, and after that, I didn't keep the car, I was tired of calling tow trucks, so I owned it all of 95 days and traded it in on an F150, that, while reliable, was awful. This picture was taken on the shoulder of I35 in Austin, Texas, less than three weeks after I bought it, when the throttle body failed and made me miss a job interview.
WP_20141110_13_38_12_Smart.jpg

Dammit... now I want another black S197... I'm thinking a 13 or 14 with a Coyote and the automatic this time... Anyone wanna buy ElSuperPinto? I could use a down payment!

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
If I could stomach a car payment, I would absolutely go get myself a new 2019 or 2020 Mustang GT with the performance package. No other options or frills beyond what comes standard. Just a nice car with all the modern conveniences that I can keep until I stop driving some day.

Reactions: 1 user